PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Pats should Thank Niners for Passing on Mac

The original discussion here fascinates me, not because Reiss is a brilliant football analyst (ha), but because he's usually quite diplomatic and even-keeled. He takes a slow, somewhat conservative approach to reporting, and rarely sensationalizes anything for clicks despite working for ESPN. I've always found him to be the most well-connected and plugged-in source on the Patriots, if a bit bland. Reading a statement like that from Reiss of all people should make us pause and wonder what he's hearing from the organization. Intriguing stuff -- let's hope it turns out to be true!

This is probably the best reason to be optimistic about it, to be honest. And it hasn't been just Reiss, it's been a lot of people pointing out how quickly he seems to be picking things up, how he and McDaniels see the game the same way, etc. Now, a lot of it could just be reporters (and people working for the team) being starved to see a return to quality QB play. The dropoff from Brady to Newton was STAGGERING last year, so perhaps they're overplaying the Jones accolades because they're falling prey to the same hopeful optimism we are. But on the other hand, it is fairly out of character for the team to intentionally leak overly positive reports, especially about rookies (whose heads they're probably trying to keep small). So, whether tainted by Newton or not, misguided or not, whatever excitement does come out of Foxboro about Jones would seem to be genuine.

This is probably the best reason to be optimistic about it, to be honest. And it hasn't been just Reiss, it's been a lot of people pointing out how quickly he seems to be picking things up, how he and McDaniels see the game the same way, etc. Now, a lot of it could just be reporters (and people working for the team) being starved to see a return to quality QB play. The dropoff from Brady to Newton was STAGGERING last year, so perhaps they're overplaying the Jones accolades because they're falling prey to the same hopeful optimism we are. But on the other hand, it is fairly out of character for the team to intentionally leak overly positive reports, especially about rookies (whose heads they're probably trying to keep small). So, whether tainted by Newton or not, misguided or not, whatever excitement does come out of Foxboro about Jones would seem to be genuine.

I think I am more of a Stidham supporter than most, but remember the overplaying the Stidham accolades last year. It is the time of the season for optimism to come out of GIllette. I agree that Reiss resists the overplaying so maybe there is something to this, but there is no way to tell. People repeat the same mistakes over and over all the time, including football reporters.

I think I am more of a Stidham supporter than most, but remember the overplaying the Stidham accolades last year. It is the time of the season for optimism to come out of GIllette. I agree that Reiss resists the overplaying so maybe there is something to this, but there is no way to tell. People repeat the same mistakes over and over all the time, including football reporters.

Definitely a fair point. What we really need is for training camp and preseason to get here so we can see some actual competitive reps. Then we don't have to take the word of so many second and third hand accounts. I'm starved for some real football.

don't feel bad for Drewpy...HE is the one that pestered Kraft into signing his 2 buddies, the TWIN ABOMINATIONS, Rucci and Lane to multi-million dollar guaranteed contracts...at the time two of the most generous contracts in the league....for a rag doll right tackle single armed by Reggie White like a little girl's Raggedy Ann in the Bowl and the WORST disgrace at left guard I've ever had the distaste to witness on a Patriots team...Rucci should have done time for the theft he perpetrated on Kraft and the Pats.

To be fair...anyone would have gotten mowed over by Reggie White....White was that good. He should have had more help on his side of the line in SB 31.....

Yeah, I was sold on Stiddy last year before they signed Cam.... mea culpa! I had expected Stiddy to start some games when we were out of contention, but he didn't even get the chance to do so...not sure why...I think his injury early in camp really sent things off track...and he didn't look good in relief....

Definitely a fair point. What we really need is for training camp and preseason to get here so we can see some actual competitive reps. Then we don't have to take the word of so many second and third hand accounts. I'm starved for some real football.

At least this year, we will have 3 actual pre-season games to see players play...even if with vanilla schemes and back ups.....

Mac is still gonna see players better than he faced while in college....NFL scrub defenses playing vanilla schemes > SEC defenses.

I do not care if Justin or Trey are good QBs. All I am concerned about is that Mac a good QB. We do not need the best QB in football, but a top 10 guy to make the right throws. Fields' or Lance's stats can be better than Mac's, and we will still be a better team with the correct coaching. Chasing every Pro Bowler is silly IMO.

Actually, yeah we did...And we had him for 19 years...

I think that trade was part of their "win now" philosophy that you discussed - would not be surprised if the druggie owner wanted Richardson. Has to be on the Worse Trades of All Time list.

And yes that would have killed and buried the Captain, no doubt about it.
Yea trading a 1st for a RB who already busted makes you want to puke. Cleveland used that pick to get Johnny Football I believe. They went through an ugly stretch there for about 50 years.

Hilarious how everyone claims WE DON’T NEED A SUPERSTAR QB!!! We just need a guy who’s a competent or a talented player who can be coached up!!

Then this offseason…
  • Matt Stafford is on the trading block, a guy known as really talented but lacking the organization. HE SUCKS! NOT WORTH THE PICKS!
  • Jared Goff is on the trading block, a guy with limitations but a classic system QB. THERE’S NO WAY WE COULD WIN WITH THAT CLOWN! TOO EXPENSIVE!
  • Marcus Mariota, a guy with the first talent but poor decision making…low cost. DON’T WANT HIM! ABSOLUTELY NOT!
  • Deshaun Watson is presumably available via trade, even before the story fully broke. HE COSTS WAY TOO MUCH! NO THANKS.
  • Carson Wentz is on the trading block. A guy with clear issues but also with raw talent and could have a one year crash course to try to resurrect. I HATE WENTZ! HE’D NEVER FIT HERE.
  • Jimmy G is on the block. Remember…the guy who their hero almost left the org over in 2017? That guy? OH DEFINITELY NOT! GUY MAKES $25M! INJURY PRONE!
Other guys names are thrown out there too, all to a negative reception. Derek Carr? NOPE. Ryan Tannehill? OF COURSE NOT. Nick Foles? SUCKS!

I asked a certain poster this offseason, specifically, who the **** would fit the ever changing Team Bill mold of the ideal QB. Which QB? Which contract? Which college player? As always, it’s answered with vague traits, theoretical characteristics, etc. References to past players like Simms but apparently a version of him that didn’t make a lot of turnovers. A better version of Brad Johnson. And none of these guys would make more than $10M or cost any draft comp either.

Point of my rant: they have no clue what they‘re talking about.

Last edited:
Not only that, they went on a 9 year drought (not counting 2008) with the best QB of all time.

Decent quarterback play will not cut it anymore. This isn’t the early 2000’s.

The original discussion here fascinates me, not because Reiss is a brilliant football analyst (ha), but because he's usually quite diplomatic and even-keeled. He takes a slow, somewhat conservative approach to reporting, and rarely sensationalizes anything for clicks despite working for ESPN. I've always found him to be the most well-connected and plugged-in source on the Patriots, if a bit bland. Reading a statement like that from Reiss of all people should make us pause and wonder what he's hearing from the organization. Intriguing stuff -- let's hope it turns out to be true!

If Reiss feels that Mac Jones is gonna be the real deal, count me as encouraged.

It's good news to give us something to get excited about.

It was also news like this about Gronk that gave me the inside track to win my fantasy league that year. I drafted him in the 5th round, nobody hadheard about him, and he ended up the best scoring tight end in the league. LOL. It was sick!

Not saying to draft Mac Jones for your fantasy league... but if you're playing long term, i'd use a late rounder just to stash him. Could be a really good pick up for very little cost.

Point of my rant: they have no clue what they‘re talking about.

Take your meds. Our QB of the future is Mac Jones. Cam Newton is just his mentor for this season or until he picks up a 'mo lewis' type injury.

To be fair...anyone would have gotten mowed over by Reggie White....White was that good. He should have had more help on his side of the line in SB 31.....

Yep, especially after the first sack...Allowing Lane to attempt to single-block Reggie White the next time Drew went to another deep drop was just poor coaching, and maybe poor blocking adjustment by the QB...

don't feel bad for Drewpy...HE is the one that pestered Kraft into signing his 2 buddies, the TWIN ABOMINATIONS, Rucci and Lane to multi-million dollar guaranteed contracts...at the time two of the most generous contracts in the league....for a rag doll right tackle single armed by Reggie White like a little girl's Raggedy Ann in the Bowl and the WORST disgrace at left guard I've ever had the distaste to witness on a Patriots team...Rucci should have done time for the theft he perpetrated on Kraft and the Pats.

I didn’t know that. Ironically vineyard Drew has aged very poorly since he left the team. Every new revelation about him is a bad one. I remember in 2002/03 the Pats fanbase was terrified they had just traded the football version of Babe Ruth to the Bills, and he would haunt us for years. He just wasn’t very good..at all.

It’s funny that Parcells brought him to Dallas and two failed again.

Give Drewpy two burners on the outside and a TE that can get 10-15 yards downfield, a decent OL and a sledgehammer non-receiver type RB and he can be effective. Unfortunately he screwed himself talking Kraft into signing his pals Rucci and Lane and could NOT throw an accurate 5 yard swing pass to a RB or a simple curl to a Troy Brown. I covered the Pats back in the 90's...attended every possible camp day at Bryant, had a press pass, wrote daily reports, stood in the press area with the rest of the Boston press guys. EVERYBODY saw the same thing. Drew threw frozen ropes 10, 15 ,20, 30 yards and up...rockets.Missed the RB dumpoff over and over and over and over...in camp!!! In practice!!

When BB came in Bryant lasted a year. My press credentials expired and so did the Bryant lease. I DID see Brady in the QB drills and I did see Brady hit Troy Brown consistently on thoise little 5 yard curls, and I did see Brady hit the RB's out of the backfield almost every single time. I think anyone with eyes who played and studied football at that point knew Drew was dead meat.

Give Drewpy two burners on the outside and a TE that can get 10-15 yards downfield, a decent OL and a sledgehammer non-receiver type RB and he can be effective. Unfortunately he screwed himself talking Kraft into signing his pals Rucci and Lane and could NOT throw an accurate 5 yard swing pass to a RB or a simple curl to a Troy Brown. I covered the Pats back in the 90's...attended every possible camp day at Bryant, had a press pass, wrote daily reports, stood in the press area with the rest of the Boston press guys. EVERYBODY saw the same thing. Drew threw frozen ropes 10, 15 ,20, 30 yards and up...rockets.Missed the RB dumpoff over and over and over and over...in camp!!! In practice!!

When BB came in Bryant lasted a year. My press credentials expired and so did the Bryant lease. I DID see Brady in the QB drills and I did see Brady hit Troy Brown consistently on thoise little 5 yard curls, and I did see Brady hit the RB's out of the backfield almost every single time. I think anyone with eyes who played and studied football at that point knew Drew was dead meat.
The main thing was Brady just got rid of the ball faster. Its weird to think that Brady was better at avoiding sacks than Bledsoe. Forget stats or whatever, the offense became efficient, that was a big difference.

Interesting…didn’t realize you wrote daily reports. Good stuff.

My dad used to tell me - in the 90s - that Bledsoe reminded him of a young Elway because Elway used to chuck lasers on short passes and often overthrew his targets. He thought Bledsoe would “learn from experience“ but it didn’t happen.

I think it stood out to everyone how crisp Brady’s short passes were…always in exactly the right spot. Bledsoe seemed to need four seconds of protection to finally step into a throw and rifle it downfield.

Last edited:
but remember the overplaying the Stidham accolades last year.
Tickets don't sell themselves.

Even the most "under hype" HC of all time still understands that you have to have butts in seats to be able to field an NFL team. Hence allowing some semblance of media pumping up of players without refuting their every point this time of year in public (while likely in the non-media portions of summer activities exercising due diligence of ensuring rookie's/youngster's flaws are pointed out and corrected).

Let the media do what they do (overhype, create narratives, force stories and memes) while the HC does what he does. I have no doubt the Patriots' PA Department has a very different approach to their messaging than the HC for just this reason and even sometimes BB will be strategic in things he does NOT route or elaborate on for the same purpose.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back