PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REISS: Panthers Request to Play Patriots in Preseason

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Per Mike Reiss from yesterday, the Panthers requested to play the Patriots in the preseason so that the two clubs can hold joint practices:

Bring it

10sL.gif

Last edited:
Good move by Rhule. Looks like he wants to expose his team to good culture, to get them to understand how important practice is.

Is Christian McCaffrey available....asking for a friend

You know, obviously McCaffrey is too big a fish, but I think the Patriots have ended up acquiring a player (usually the next year) from the teams they scrimmage against every time or something close to it. That streak continues this year getting Peppers from the Giants. So, even though it likely won't be Christian, we SHOULD keep an eye on Patriots-type players on the Panthers while these practices are going on. We're likely to be rooting for one of them in the next couple seasons.

Really? You can just request who you want to play? Ssssooo can we request to play against the Jaguars every game of the season?
From what I understand, yes, in the pre-season, you pick your opponents. Last year was all east coast, non-conference teams.

You know, obviously McCaffrey is too big a fish, but I think the Patriots have ended up acquiring a player (usually the next year) from the teams they scrimmage against every time or something close to it. That streak continues this year getting Peppers from the Giants. So, even though it likely won't be Christian, we SHOULD keep an eye on Patriots-type players on the Panthers while these practices are going on. We're likely to be rooting for one of them in the next couple seasons.
Interesting!

What other examples do we have? I'm a little fuzzy on who we've had joint practices with in the past.

SO YOU HAVE CHOSEN DEATH??!

Hopefully it won't be Newton.

Interesting!

What other examples do we have? I'm a little fuzzy on who we've had joint practices with in the past.

I'd have to go back and look too. Sometimes it's not in the very next offseason, but it makes sense. You see these guys up close, how they practice, how they work. It stands to reason you'd feel good targeting those guys via trade or free agency later. I'll try to dig up the info, if I can remember where I heard it...

Has anyone seen the Panthers schedule for next season? They're going to win 4 games.

I'm pretty sure their biggest FA move was signing a punter.

I'd have to go back and look too. Sometimes it's not in the very next offseason, but it makes sense. You see these guys up close, how they practice, how they work. It stands to reason you'd feel good targeting those guys via trade or free agency later. I'll try to dig up the info, if I can remember where I heard it...

Posted this in the Free Agency thread by mistake, so just for visibility here:
Found it from this Next Pats podcast via Phil Perry last offseason when they had a joint practice with the Eagles:

The list for those who can't/don't want to watch, these are guys they practiced against in joints (year listed is the year the practice took place) that found their way to the Patriots over the next few years:

Falcons - Michael Jenkins
Saints - Ramon Humbar, Will Smith

2011 - No joint practices.

Bucs - Lagarrette Blount, Aqib Talib, EJ Biggers, Dakota Watson
Saints - Travaris Cadet, Akiem Hicks, Jonathan Casillas

Eagles - Damarius Johnson, and Patrick Chung (if you count him)
Bucs - Tim Wright

Eagles - Bradley Fletcher

Saints - Brandin Cooks

Bears - Rob Housler

Jags - Luke Bowengo?
Texans - Eric Lee, Riley McCarron, Ufomba Kamalu, Eddie Pleasant, Stephen Anderson,

2018 - No Joint Practices

Lions - Dee Virgin
Titans - Jonnu Smith

2020 - No preseason at all

2021 (not in the video)
Giants - Jabril Peppers
Eagles - TBD

Some of the names are (to be generous) very forgettable. But there are some standouts like Blount, Talib, Hicks, Cooks, and Jonnu.

Some of the names are (to be generous) very forgettable. But there are some standouts like Blount, Talib, Hicks, Cooks, and Jonnu.
I'd say they're mostly forgettable. Talib was decent in 2013 but he really hit his stride in Denver. Hicks wasn't here for even a full season. Cooks was a mediocre one year rental. Jonnu was awful last season. Blount had a monster playoff game in 2013 but it wasn't until his second stint in NE that he really took off... he was a major red zone contributor in 2016.

I'd say they're mostly forgettable. Talib was decent in 2013 but he really hit his stride in Denver. Hicks wasn't here for even a full season. Cooks was a mediocre one year rental. Jonnu was awful last season. Blount had a monster playoff game in 2013 but it wasn't until his second stint in NE that he really took off... he was a major red zone contributor in 2016.

Your standards are too high.

Think this has been mentioned previously that we have signed a player from a team we practiced against but I cant name one either ...lol!

Your standards are too high.
Probably. But Blount is the only player you mentioned who played any role in winning a Super Bowl... and that was after he left and came back after quitting on Pittsburgh.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back