PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss is Correct - For Some Reason Pats Absolutely Struggle After Byes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He illustrates the 3 this year, but I swear this is a theme for the past several years - - particularly the first half of games immediately after byes. Definitely a point to address this offseason as they attempt absolute perfection. ;)

An area of improvement for Patriots in 2017: Can they be better after bye?

For the consistently most prepared team in the NFL, this is a head-scratcher. It's happened enough times to be more than just an anomaly.

That's about the biggest complaint we have, so it just kinda makes me laugh.

But I'm sure The Omniscient Venerable Hooded One is in his underground medieval laboratory cooking up some alchemic remedy.

I'm not sure that going 2-1 against playoff teams with the loss coming down to the last okay qualifies as struggling after the bye.

I think we tend to assume, falsely, that coming off a bye week is an advantage leaguewide. In fact, from the stats I've seen the league winning percentage after a regular season bye is right around 50%, IOW no advantage at all. Presumably the benefits in health and prep time are offset by rust and disruption to routine.

Maybe the Patriots, who generally are among the best-prepared teams with the most meticulous routines, see fewer benefits and greater drawbacks?

Maybe ask Andy Reid what the secret is? His record after the bye is outstanding.

It's definitely true. There is a misconception that the Pats are dynamite when they have two weeks to plan. That's how I know the Pats Super Bowls will always be close, they never score in the first quarter.

I would actually be 100% ok with eliminating the super bye, I bet the Pats would play much better. They were also shaky as hell in the first half against the Texans as well as being off defensively against SEA. Although you knew they were adjusting to life post-Collins trade.

9-1 in their last 10 games coming off a bye week (12-3 in their last 15 games)

When the Pats get to something like 5-5 or 6-4 in their last 10 games after a bye then i'll consider it a struggle

When the Pats get to something like 5-5 or 6-4 in their last 10 games after a bye then i'll consider it a struggle
"first half struggles", not w/L records

I never checked their record last few years after a bye,was surprised it was THAT good. It just SEEMED to me they played worse just in the last couple years after a bye. Maybe they struggled more, but I'm also all about winning. So fact is,9-1 and 12-3 is pretty damn good.Perception is not always reality.

One of the dangers a cerebral team faces at times is the peril of overthinking. I wonder if that's part of the problem, with too long to plan, the Patriots overthink and outwit themselves. if that's the case, the sluggish start and then later correcting for it would make sense.

Would be BB's way, though, to address that BEFORE getting to 5-5 - - that's why the Patriots are who they are and not the other 31.

They do struggle. Look at at least the first halves of those wins. It is patently obvious, and at least a pattern. Their largest struggles (outside of playing a 3rd string rookie QB with torn ligaments in his throwing hand) come in the first halves after bye weeks..... in fact, it has held them back in the last 6 Super Bowls.

Once again as gripes come, this is a minor one (as mentioned in my OP "Definitely a point to address this offseason as they attempt absolute perfection. ;)) but it has occurred too consistently to be fluffed off. It is definitely there.

Last edited:
There is no misconception because Pats win games after bye weeks. That's what the league is about W-I-N-N-I-N-G

a 17-2 team was 2-1 and all 3 examples were bad first halves.

One can put their fingers in their ears and cry "lalalalalala" as much as they want, but it is what it is.

Don't they usually go to the AFCCG....after a bye?

a 17-2 team was 2-1 and all 3 examples were bad first halves.

One can put their fingers in their ears and cry "lalalalalala" as much as they want, but it is what it is.

One could also look at a limited sample, twist it to "struggled in the first half" and pretend there is causation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back