PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss is Correct - For Some Reason Pats Absolutely Struggle After Byes

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't news and I've been saying it for awhile

Winning is nice, but the record after byes is misleading. I don't think they usually look sharp

He illustrates the 3 this year, but I swear this is a theme for the past several years - - particularly the first half of games immediately after byes. Definitely a point to address this offseason as they attempt absolute perfection. ;)

An area of improvement for Patriots in 2017: Can they be better after bye?

Just my thoughts after reading the article and some of the posts.

Is it a trade off for health? Does BB prefer letting guys rest and getting treatment during the bye week knowing that there might be a little "rust" the next game but regards it better for the long haul of the season?

Is it a trade off for health? Does BB prefer letting guys rest and getting treatment during the bye week knowing that there might be a little "rust" the next game but regards it better for the long haul of the season?

That's a great point, and an angle I hadn't thought of, Tony.

We have seen articles about how BB has done so much different compared to most teams regarding pads late in the season and running requirements. What you allude to could very well be something that BB has been doing with the long-term over short-term priority in mind.

Always enjoy quick hits.

One can put their fingers in their ears and cry "lalalalalala" as much as they want, but it is what it is.

Seattle- Score after the 1st quarter was 7-6 NE (19-14 SEA at HT)

Houston- Score after the 1st quarter was 14-3 NE (17-13 NE at HT)

Atlanta- Score after the 1st quarter was 0-0 (21-3 ATL at HT)

KC- Score after the 1st quarter was 7-3 NE (14-6 NE at HT)

Dallas- Score after the 1st quarter was 3-3 NE (13-3 NE at HT)

Indy- Score after the 1st quarter was 7-3 NE (14-10 NE at HT)

Baltimore- Score after the 1st quarter was 14-7 Bal (21-14 Bal at HT)

Seattle- Score after the 1st quarter was 0-0 (14-14 at HT)

Anyone making this argument is basically saying"Pats haven't blown out teams in the first half after the bye so therefore they have struggled"

No. The divisional games are the week before the AFC, NFC championships. That's no bye.

Then why did reiss include the houston playoff game and super bowl in his analysis of the pats performance after a bye?

No. The divisional games are the week before the AFC, NFC championships. That's no bye.

My point exactly...they play well enough after the bye week in the divisional round such that they end up in the AFCCG.

Last edited:

Anyone making this argument is basically saying"Pats haven't blown out teams in the first half after the bye so therefore they have struggled"

Understood - you disagree with what Reiss and most posters here have written. That's your opinion and that's fine. You evidently feel that they play at least as well in the opening halves of games after byes. Others of us see differently.

Please stop with the factual acts. Enough already. You need to allow for the dominance of gut level impressions formed from quick emotional disappointments. That's the world we live in now. Are you living in a cave?

I do spend a decent amount of time in my man cave.

LOL at myself. Two quick beers and I'm creating new terminology. "Factual acts" was intended to be "actual facts" but I'll let it rest.

That's my theory.

BB has taken the long view with byes.

Just like their offense, the pats are better in hurry up mode.

There's a lot to be said for being rested and playing great second halves. Could be other teams are too hopped up and fade.

Patriots also play better in the second half of seasons.

Let's look at the opponents in the three cases in which the Patriots had two weeks to prepare rather than one week:

11-win Seattle
The Seahawks started out slow due to major issues with their offensive line, and faltered at the end in large part due to numerous injuries (Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Thomas Rawls, Kam Chancellor, Michael Bennett, Tyler Lockett). Seattle played the Patriots in mid-season when they were their healthiest (one loss in eight games) and many were predicting they would represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.

10-win Houston
The Texans only loss down the stretch was a meaningless week 17 game, and they finished the year ranked number one in defensive yards allowed. Let's not overstate the offensive struggles: the Pats had 17 points on the scoreboard at halftime and finished with 34 points.

13-win Atlanta
I was not the only one to downplay the Falcons' defense coming into this game, but they were much faster and more effective than I thought they would be. One play that was a 14-point swing (21-3 at halftime vs 14-10) changes this narrative.

tl;dr version: these were three very good teams (including the second best team in 2016, and a team that was considered at the time they played to be the best in the NFL). Why the presumption that the Patriots should have blown all three of them out?

Perhaps the problem is that some are comparing how the Pats fare against the entire league, versus how they perform against teams in the upper percentile. It should stand to reason a club will have a tougher time against playoff teams.

According to this website (NFL Team Win Trends - After A Bye), the Patriots are 20-4 in games after a bye week (not including SuperBowl, I am afraid) since 2003, the best of the NFL. Not a bad record.

Understood - you disagree with what Reiss and most posters here have written. That's your opinion and that's fine. You evidently feel that they play at least as well in the opening halves of games after byes. Others of us see differently.

That's the same flock of posters who believes any narrative that looks nice on paper but is just lazy reporting in reality.

Let's ignore the turnovers in all 3 games and just blame everything on the BYE. Or wait a second, lets blame the turnovers on the BYE instead. Too bad that we also had multiple turnovers in games that didn't come after BYE weeks (Steelers, Ravens) guess that correlation is not too strong then.

Then how about the "we look flat" narrative ? Guess what we didn't look particularly sharp against the Bengals, Steelers, 49ers or Rams either but got it done when it counted.

Reality is that we played against three playoff teams after each of the BYE weeks and not some circus teams which inherently makes those games more difficult than your row of circus teams like the 49ers or Rams. But instead of looking deeper into the issues we had in some of those games lets just look at the stats sheet or the schedule find something in common and be like "eh... thats evidence enough".. lazy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back