PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss expects Pats to be fined-deflategate? No farking way

Status
Not open for further replies.
No we have not missed the inept attempt at shafting the Pats

Doyel was on an anti-Patriots crusade for a solid month (from the day after the AFCCG to his "Everyone Lost" column on 2/20.) Everything was on the table for him: Fines, suspensions for players and coaches, loss of draft picks, kicking the Patriots out of the SB. He never presented his position as "If the Patriots did something wrong..." He portrayed them as 100% guilty from the very beginning and mocked anyone who presented an alternative viewpoint.

Now, he's going from equating this situation to the 1919 Black Sox to saying it's not very significant and the Patriots may receive the same sort of fine a player would get for a uniform violation. The guy who spent a month firing up simple-minded Patriots haters with his columns and tweets now says he doesn't want to be part of the story any more. He was even displeased when Minihane brought up how over the top his reactions were in Jan/Feb.

It's funny, in a way, that he believes he can run a smear campaign on a team and it's fans and then expect everyone one to let things slide and walk away when he's grown bored of the story.

Maybe he wants to downplay it to keep the spotlight off the Colts and any possible disciplinary actions against them.

It was Kensil & Grigson who F'd up here.

and Goodell is lying through his teeth (de rigueur) stating he was unaware of Kensil's actions.

True, but I'm wondering if the Kensil family is such a front office legacy that the league will do whatever they can to keep him out of the crosshairs.

It would and he should. But outside of few people like Reiss and Curran, the media (even here, let alone nationally) will portray him as a whiner trying to deflect people away from misdeeds.

That's the thing you seem to keep missing. Outside of NE fans, no one cares if NE looks bad -- in fact, they like it! So Kraft can go ballistic all he wants, but it won't budge the needle on the narrative.

Agreed, it would actually just give the media more ammo to write stories and generate more page views & comments

So what you're saying is that we shouldn't defend ourselves then because people might criticize us more. Who f***ing cares about that, if we are wronged we should make damn well sure people hear about it even if they don't care.

True, but I'm wondering if the Kensil family is such a front office legacy that the league will do whatever they can to keep him out of the crosshairs.

He's a former Jets employee, just like the Commish.

So what you're saying is that we shouldn't defend ourselves then because people might criticize us more. Who f***ing cares about that, if we are wronged we should make damn well sure people hear about it even if they don't care.

I didn't say Kraft shouldn't "go ballistic". I'm saying that if you think him doing so will positively affect what non-fans think of the team, don't get your hopes up.

(And if you claim that you don't care what non-fans think of the team, then why do you care whether or not Kraft "goes ballistic" anyways?)

Because he owes it to us fans who put up with being s*** on by the rest of the league.

Kraft going ballistic will not be helpful for Goodell's career in the NFL
That gits 'er done for moi

FWIW, Breer tweeted that nothing will be coming out of the NFL on Deflategate today.

No we have not missed the inept attempt at shafting the Pats
The NFL is just the latest example of Hanlon's Razor, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."......

Here's the relevant piece of the NFL statement:

This statement says that prior to the game the balls were in spec. The statement also says they are investigating whether "the game balls used by the New England Patriots were not properly inflated to levels required by the playing rules, specifically Playing Rule 2, Section 1, which requires that the ball be inflated to between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch"

Putting those two things together that implies the NFL believes Rule 2, Section 1 applies throughout the entire game. If Rule 2, Section 1 does not apply throughout the game, then how is it even determinable if a ball is underpressured? What would you be testing against? Notice that the statement does not say the NFL is investigating if the balls were tampered with. It says they're investigating why the balls didn't comply with the specification. Which means there is a specification to comply with. Which means Rule 2, Section 1 applies throughout the game.
Since they don't monitor the pressure, how IS it determinable that the ball is under pressure? No docmentation of any sort either.

Since they don't monitor the pressure, how IS it determinable that the ball is under pressure? No docmentation of any sort either.

I don't buy the "no documentation" argument. If the game refs said they measured the pressure and it was X, the NFL will take that as gospel, written documentation or no written documentation. The league is not going to accuse its refs of lying.

They were talking about deflategate on the radio today because of an interview with Greg Doyle and this dawned on me -

that the NFL has a rule in place to inflate a football to the level of it being not optimal for the offense.

That someone said that if the ball was to be less than 12 PSI then the offense would be at a great advantage. So we will pass a rule that will make all quarterbacks uneasy with handling the football to keep the integrity of the game intact so that the defense has a chance.

We can't give the offense that much of an advantage. We must overinflated the football for integrity.

That doesn't really make any sense, given their propensity to inact rule after rule favoring the offense.

I was being SARCASTIC.
The teams supply balls that the Quarterbacks like and then it's up to the officials to accept or reject them. There is no proof that the ball pressure makes for a better or worse outcome during the game. And I'm willing to bet that no official has ever stuck a needle in a ball to make the final judgement. It's like baseball its by feel and eye. That is why the kicking balls are taken right out of the box - because the ball pressure does matter on those as to the outcome of a kick.

25K fine for basically nothing conclusive only to make the league NOT looks like the assholes they really are. Or they have a BIT of info..but nothing major.

Wouldn't surprise me with Goode$$

25K fine for basically nothing conclusive only to make the league NOT looks like the assholes they really are. Or they have a BIT of info..but nothing major.

Wouldn't surprise me with Goode$$

Would surprise me for all the tons of reasons why we've already gone into.

I still think the report will be released during day 1 of the draft. they need NFL news to bury the story (assuming there is no wrong doing found).

As for the fine, Goodie will have a tough time thinking that through. On one hand, Kraft drew the line in the sand saying he expects an apology from the league if no tampering/wrong-doing was found.

On the other, how will the league fine him if he didn't do anything wrong. BB presented that it is the refs job to make sure the balls are inflated to the proper levels before the game and once the refs have possession, the Patriots can't alter the pressure.

If Goodell fines them for handing the refs slightly under-inflated balls, he'll have to come up with some good reason (not that the drooling masses really care). And, if he has to deal with Wells. If he contradicts the report then how does he keep Wells quiet (assuming Wells cares about his reputation). The X factor is Kraft and how he responds to any sanctions/fines.

It's possible that a new ruling or standard will be part of it as well.

For example, maybe they have balls around the higher side of the spectrum either in some instances or even permanently, which is just about the only reasonable explanation for why IND's balls were still within range.

Obviously, it's going to be a lightly enforced rule no matter what.

Not trying to nitpick, but how do we know that Indy's balls were still within range? Until the Wells report comes out all we know is media spin.

How about this...crapcan that lying weasel R. Stokoe Eliteboydell, his rotten ba$tard catspaw scumbag Kensil, hire a counter to Bornstein and Grubman's obvious NY centric interests, preferably from the South, Midwest and West coast...and compile a list of PROVEN executive talent with no agendas/history involving NY teams.The big Rotten has had a stranglehold for too long on the way this league is run. Flush it clean.

There has to be something that NFL fans can do, other than stop watching the game we love. Some of us have been following the NFL since long before Fraudger GoodJet and Kensuck were born.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results