PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to “The Dynasty”

I was always skeptical back in the day when everyone was reporting that Drew handled the demotion so well, Michael Holley has reported that when he had access to the team for his book that behind the scenes Drew wasn’t handling it so well. This sounds like it may have confirmed that.
Of course he would not have. It is impossible to. They just did not let it blow up and become a problem.

From the Director himself. Doesn't sound like a hit piece to me.

Just watched the first 2 episodes I could use the third one we haven't even hoisted the first Lombardi yet lol.

Best line of the two episodes came from Ty Law and he said we should bronze his damn foot.

My memory of that night can best be explained as living in a snow globe for a night. It was really a magical night.

I remember the tension really built as time was running out and I remember standing in our seats for what would be the last time thinking it was over but before we could flinch to leave they were going under the hood. Trying to convince ourselves that they might overturn it and then they whole universe shifted.

I can remember watching the kick we were on the opposite 20 and even on a good day it was weird angle to see kicks on that side of the field so we always focused on the fans behind the posts and so even though we couldn't see the ball we knew it went through. The OT kick was on our side and that timeout they called our OL could of cleared half the field of snow if they needed to. One of the dumber time outs ever and you could see it playing out right in front of us as every second made the field clearer.

We didn't want to leave we hung around for a little longer than normal.

Last edited:
One thing I thought was really weird was that they didn't talk about the Cox hit. And the brief clip they showed they actually took the hit out. It shows the play leading up to the hit and just before they show it they switch angles and there crashing to the ground.

Anyway they did let the D tell the story I loved hearing from Bru, Ty, Milloy, and Willie. Vrabes only has like one line but I think we'll hear more from next episode.

Well the situation did devolve, a lot of which because of his handling of it. They should have said Bill was right both times.

I don't remember the Brady decision being so divided. I thought the media was on the side of "ride the winner".

The Brady/Bledsoe debate went on for a year or two after Bledsoe was traded. Many people wanted to trade Brady, not Bledsoe. There were endless debates on WEEI about it back in that time. And after the trade, Bledsoe played really well his first year in Buffalo and there were people who claimed the Pats traded the wrong guy.

Some of the beat writers were just Bledsoe guys who were close to Drew and biased, but many people in the media both locally and nationally felt Bledsoe was better than Brady even up through part of the 2003 season.

FWIW, I thought Bledsoe was more talented than Brady after the 2001 season, but felt they should keep Brady and trade Bledsoe because Brady was a much better fit for the Patriots’ system. Obviously I was wrong about the first part. But no one could have imagined how good Brady would become way back in early 2002.

Last edited:
I thought the first two episodes were good, but I am disappointed the ignored major storylines of the 2001 season like the entire Terry Glenn saga or how they built the team on a bunch of low priced over-the-hill players and low value overachievers for next to no money by NFL standards of the time. Or that they glossed over how special the defense was especially in the second half of the season where they gave up the fewest points in the league in that time and how the Rams players said how they felt the Pats defense was the best defense they faced after that regular season game.

But I guess I get it the point of the series. It is about the dynasty and Bill and Tom are the dynasty.

FIFY

The World will forever believe that the Patriots 'did something' other than a marginal, technically questionable trifling one-time violation only during the first half of the first game of a season, and that the Patriots, with at least culpable negligence on the part of Tom Brady, deliberately manipulated footballs in violation of the rules, and that the Patriots were, are, and forever will be 'cheaters'.

No facts or reality will ever change that.

The exoneration and vindication of the New England Patriots, for any period in their existence, will never occur.

Aggressive media presentation of the truth, which is unlikely, will only leave people shaking their heads, like slave era Deep Southerners presented with science, integration, etc.

No, Steve Grogan never took his concerns to Billy Sullivan.

This dynasty occurred largely despite several intrinsic realities endemic to the league. This story alone is so preposterous that it could legitimize the Patriots' eternal False Laughingstock Narrative all by itself.

I was appalled by the Bledsoe thing in '01. It was absurd:

Patriots owner Bob Kraft said Bledsoe has a chance to be remembered in Boston like Ted Williams, Bill Russell and Larry Bird, each having played his entire career in the city. "I remember feeling sad when Bobby Orr left," Kraft said of the NHL Hall of Famer who left Boston for Chicago near the end of his career. "I saw this as an opportunity to sign one of the great Patriots for the rest of his career."

Kraft's financial decisions that enabled buying the Patriots and keeping them here are brilliant, but he is indeed a typical dunce owner when it comes to understanding football. Kraft deserves credit for his genuine affection and determination and serious commitment to success, which led to his meeting and later hiring Bill Belichick.

Bledsoe is this revered figure in Boston sports history, he's a good guy and can throw a football. But this team was never doing anything serious with him, he had an impenetrable ceiling, he was a little better than Tony Eason but there are a dozen better quarterbacks who played for the Patriots.

The Bledsoe contingent today hates and disagrees with Belichick. They prefer what Berry did in the 80's:

Pampering and prioritizing Tony Eason's ego at all costs at the expense of the Patriots winning at the highest level in the league.

Zero titles. Zero. A nondescript, moribund franchise, with any national attention being negative thanks to local media's portrayal of them.

To repeat what I've said repeatedly before, not Drew's fault he was deified here. It's just especially disgusting given the plethora of vastly superior Patriots over the years who are treated like they either sucked or didn't exist.

The popular assertion today that the Patriots were just a sh*tshow that Brady elevated to greatness has a TON of solid, actual evidence.
Belichick

Sounds pretty basic and dull to me. If they left out all those storylines.... I mean, what made that 01 team unique was just how all these weird parts came together. And what happened to their other big star in Terry Glenn should absolutely have been covered. Going into the 2001 season, if you had asked who the Patriots bright spots are, you'd have definitely put Bledsoe and Glenn somewhere in your top five. Then neither of them played a role in your first Super Bowl win? That's huge!

Do they try to say that the Kosar move was the wrong one? If so, then it's clear they want to paint Bill as the bad guy. Bill was 100% right on Kosar.
Kosar was a local kid and a big favorite but it was no great loss. However, I went to the Pats game in Cleveland in 2000 and they spent every second booing Belichick when they weren't cheering for the Browns. They might still be bitter.

Kosar was a local kid and a big favorite but it was no great loss. However, I went to the Pats game in Cleveland in 2000 and they spent every second booing Belichick when they weren't cheering for the Browns. They might still be bitter.
Just ask Venecol pretty sure he's the president of the Bernie Kosar fan club.

The Brady/Bledsoe debate went on for a year or two after Brady was traded. Many people wanted to trade Brady, not Bledsoe. There were endless debates on WEEI about it back in that time. And after the trade, Bledsoe played really well his first year in Buffalo and there were people who claimed the Pats traded the wrong guy.
When did they trade Brady?

I enjoyed it. Lots of tidbits and frankly, the comments by the players were candidly refreshing. Brady would not have admitted that the tucked rule was a fumble. Here, he freely admitted it. BB was just his usual self though :)

BB and Brady were just perfect for each other. They drove each other to new heights. I think they complement each other and you have to give BB credits for making that gutsy decision to stick with Brady over Bledsoe. To me, that in it self was enough to grant him a GOAT status. As for Brady, I still remember that game vs the San Diego Super Chargers! I think that was his break out game. Listening on the radio and how he kept converting in the fourth quarter to eventually tie the game and won it in OT. I thought to myself at the time, who was this Tom Brady kid? I didn't think he would had done great since he was a backup filling in for injured Bledsoe. Little did I know what would have transpired then! After the super bowl win, I was convinced the kid was special ;)

I enjoyed it. Lots of tidbits and frankly, the comments by the players were candidly refreshing. Brady would not have admitted that the tucked rule was a fumble. Here, he freely admitted it. BB was just his usual self though :)

BB and Brady were just perfect for each other. They drove each other to new heights. I think they complement each other and you have to give BB credits for making that gutsy decision to stick with Brady over Bledsoe. To me, that in it self was enough to grant him a GOAT status. As for Brady, I still remember that game vs the San Diego Super Chargers! I think that was his break out game. Listening on the radio and how he kept converting in the fourth quarter to eventually tie the game and won it in OT. I thought to myself at the time, who was this Tom Brady kid? I didn't think he would had done great since he was a backup filling in for injured Bledsoe. Little did I know what would have transpired then! After the super bowl win, I was convinced the kid was special ;)
Brady has been saying this for awhile about the tuck rule, based on a show he did with Woodson, and also buying into the Raiders.

But Brady is wrong. I think he's bought into the conventional wisdom of football players and the media.

The play was ruled correctly. I always say this but the tuck rule was used AGAINST the Patriots that year during the Mo Lewis/Bledsoe hit game. The Patriots lost after the recovery of a Testaverde fumble which was called a pass because of the tuck rule. Who knows where the Patriots would've been or who they would've played in the playoffs.

That was the game where I really bought into TB. I thought he was a lot better than expected before, but that game showed how clutch he was.

Enjoyed the first 2 episodes. It was cool to see some of the behind the scenes footage like Brady in the condo he bought from Law.

It seemed Belichick would rather be anywhere other than in that interview. He doesn’t really say too much in these episodes and looks uncomfortable in a suit 2 sizes to small and squashed in a chair that he barely fits in. Really awkward compared to the others who seemed relaxed.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back