PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to “The Dynasty”

......also somehow it became public that 2/5's of the Patriots had the flu and the Colts raised the temperature in their dome. Mr Auerbach would've been proud.
........but yeah, 8 years later psi in footballs became a national scandal........

......also somehow it became public that 2/5's of the Patriots had the flu and the Colts raised the temperature in their dome. Mr Auerbach would've been proud.
........but yeah, 8 years later psi in footballs became a national scandal........

I always liken sports to a good ole card game. If you ain’t cheating … you ain’t trying. Otherwise why not just let everyone at the table see your cards? I believe this new generation would be offended if they knew the gamesmanship back then. The flooring at the old garden had dead spots. I remember Larry talking about it in a book. Jeezus there is holding on absolutely every play in the NFL!!

I always liken sports to a good ole card game. If you ain’t cheating … you ain’t trying. Otherwise why not just let everyone at the table see your cards? I believe this new generation would be offended if they knew the gamesmanship back then. The flooring at the old garden had dead spots. I remember Larry talking about it in a book. Jeezus there is holding on absolutely every play in the NFL!!

I have soured on Bill since Butler and I don't hide it but nobody is disputing Bill is an all time great coach. As of now he is the greatest IMO but Reid may come for the crown. At least of all the coaches I have seen since I have been watching football (20 years).

While I was never a massive fan of Bill purely because of his personality, I liked him as much as I liked any coach of my fav teams and I used to always believe in one thing above all and that was Bill always did what he thought was best for the team. I may not have always agreed with his decisions (OMG the horrible DB round 2 reaches) but I never questioned that and therefore always supported him.

That all changed with Butler for me because nobody will ever convince me that benching Butler was best for the team. What came out of the Dynasty just enforced that since he was not even accountable enough to his players or owner to explain to them the reason.

His greatness, which is fully deserved, (to me anyway) is very much separate from the undisputable fact that he made 3 massive blunders in the last few years: 1) Benching Butler, 2) Getting rid of Brady without a plan which resulted in 3) Replacing him with Cam/Stidham/Mac.

To me that is unequivocally due to hubris. You can even see it in his older videos (2000s) vs later on. He went from a somewhat reserved guy but also respectful and engaged with people (press conferences, interviews) to someone who barely said anything and every interaction of him was unprofessional at best to just downright rude. That is clearly someone who thought he was not accountable to anyone and could do whatever he wanted.

Vrabel once said that in the early years players used to push back on stuff they disagreed with him on. Can you imagine him allowing that in the later years?
Change came with Spygate. Pioli said he pushed away people that were close to him. Mangini did a number on Bill. Because of Bill's arrogance towards the league, Patriots will always be known as the Cheatriots. Yes, it's dumb, but it stuck.

How can you hate him as a player ? That is beyond childish… Brady spanked him so many times, their head to head competition was never close. He’s been a great ambassador for the NFL during and after his playing career…he was a fierce competitor all the way back to Tennessee. Seems he’s lived a pretty clean and respectable life. Not sure if he has kids out of wedlock or divorced … doubting it. Even the fans if other teams who disliked Brady at least for the most part came around to realize he actually was the greatest if not one of the greatest. So me saying that Gronk embarrassed himself, and it’s rumored that the Pats brass felt the same way, is a grown man’s opinion. You saying you hate Payton sounds like fanboy vitriol.

Do better
You left out when he tea bagged a female trainer in college, and his family sent goons to intimidate her. Also, the entire HGH incident where he blamed his wife, and again sent goons to intimidate reporters.

Aside from that, he's been an outstanding citizen, almost as clean as Brady.

Talk about spoiled, the post you're responding to takes the cake. The very idea we "would've gone to 6 straight Super Bowls if only..." shows the wild delusional expectations of Patriots fans now.

It's absurd to think about but I have to keep reminding myself that some fans are late to the scene and they haven't understood how the NFL runs.

We have teams with continuity like the Ravens who won 1 playoff game in 10 years.

We have the most popular football team of all with all the money in the world going more than 30 years without winning a Super Bowl.

You have the forever .600 Pittsburgh Steelers.

You have teams like the Jets who wander the wilderness after winning the first NFL/AFL Super Bowl.

You have the never won Buffalo Bills, who missed the playoffs for 10+ years.
And now you have fans of 31 other teams dancing on the Patriots graves (haven't won a playoff game in 5 years), after Bill completely wasted 4 years of a rebuild to the point the team was trash, with little to no talent, and a wasted 1st RD QB, that was widely held to be the most NFL ready QB in the draft. And so it goes.

"What seems "obvious" doesn't necessarily tell the full story, which we never will know until Bill Belichick goes on the record with his side of it."

He won't, Tune.

He's "A Beautiful Mind". Eyes open: we have to accept the bad part with the greatness part.

BOTH parts exist. SB 52 (and his taking any explanation he has to the grave) is nothing more than petulance and lack of respect to his players who put their lives on the line for 10 months of the year to play for a HC who repeatedly intoned "Sacrifice for the Best Interests of the Team". Did Bill Belichick do that in his 3 minutes before kickoff decision to pull the plug on the Patriots' season. No. He's a hypocrit. But an X's and O's genius. It is what it is.

He won't or perhaps can't for multiple reasons, including some that might be legally binding. Up until only recently one of those supposed constraints was being in the Patriots' employ. But go ahead and count yourself among those running with a conjecture-based conclusion (and condemnation) that'll be nothing more than that, as you point out, perhaps forever.

An even greater leap of faith is this conviction that Butler not just could have turned the tide in that game, but definitely WOULD have spelled victory for the Patriots. As I've already pointed out, that's far from a sure bet for more than one reason.

I guess some folks are too uncomfortable with the unknown so they let their judgment/imagination fill in the blanks.

You left out when he tea bagged a female trainer in college, and his family sent goons to intimidate her. Also, the entire HGH incident where he blamed his wife, and again sent goons to intimidate reporters.

Aside from that, he's been an outstanding citizen, almost as clean as Brady.
You must have been one of the guys happy when you found out Tom met with the Dolphins while still employed by the Patriots? Hey know what they say .. “ Fortune does favor the brave “ ….

You must have been one of the guys happy when you found out Tom met with the Dolphins while still employed by the Patriots? Hey know what they say .. “ Fortune does favor the brave “ ….
I didn't give a **** about Tom meeting with Dolphins, weeks from being a UFA. We now know there was no way he was coming back because of Bill.

That's a bit different than Peyton committing sexual assault or doping. At least in my book.

Talk about spoiled, the post you're responding to takes the cake. The very idea we "would've gone to 6 straight Super Bowls if only..." shows the wild delusional expectations of Patriots fans now.

It's absurd to think about but I have to keep reminding myself that some fans are late to the scene and they haven't understood how the NFL runs.

We have teams with continuity like the Ravens who won 1 playoff game in 10 years.

We have the most popular football team of all with all the money in the world going more than 30 years without winning a Super Bowl.

You have the forever .600 Pittsburgh Steelers.

You have teams like the Jets who wander the wilderness after winning the first NFL/AFL Super Bowl.

You have the never won Buffalo Bills, who missed the playoffs for 10+ years.
Reading comprehension issues again. The guy said there is no reason to hate Manning as a Pats fan as we beat him so much. I pointed out that indeed there was since he beat us in 3 AFC championships. I don't know about you but I am confident that had Peyton not been in the way, we would have been in the 2006 and 2015 SBs. 2013 is debateable as it was a miracle we made it that far. Then again it just shows how much winning we did and how easy we made it look.

I am also very much aware how hard winning in the NFL is. Great QBs largely decide a lot of the consistent winning which is why I had no delusion that we were done after Brady left unlike so many on here who actually thought "we would reload and Bill would continue the dynasty".

It has nothing to so with delusion. Delusion is thinking Bill did not screwed the pooch last few years.

Last edited:
How can you hate him as a player ? That is beyond childish… Brady spanked him so many times, their head to head competition was never close.
During the 1st Dynasty he was 0-6 vs Brady/Bill and the Pats. After 2004, Manning was 6-5 in regular season and playoff matchups knocking them out 3 straight times in 2006, 2013 and 2015. Total record for Brady/Bill/Pats vs Manning was 6-11. He certainly was a pest during the 2nd Dynasty.
We lost to the Colts in 2006 because of an egregious phantom “face guarding” against Hobbs I believe. Plus the defense **** the bed in the second half. It’s not even an NFL penalty. It’s a basketball foul. We lost cause the defense **** the bed, in truth so did the offense, they forgot to score more points. You also realize other teams have great players, it’s not your PlayStation in mom’s basement pal. So it took Bill in your humble opinion 15 years to make his first mistake? Not too shabby scooby doo…
That made up call changed the tide of the game and gave the Colts new life when the crowd was silent prior to the flag being thrown. Little did we know, the defense was probably exhausted and was the beginning of the end. Manning realized the Pats had nobody that could defend a TE and he relentlessly threw it to every TE on the roster. Brady's goof daydreaming when Caldwell was waving his hands was a rare blunder by Tom.
We would have won the 2006 SB if we did not lose to the Colts.
True.
He also kept us out of the SB in 2013 and 2015. It would have been 6 straight SB trips regardless of the result.
They were overmatched in 2013 and had no shot without Gronk and when Talib did his 2nd annual tap out of an important game. If you're referring to not getting WR's around Brady, that's another story.
Btw, the 2015 AFC is actually the first real questionable Bill big in game decision. He went for 4th down instead of field goal and we lost by 2.
Repeatedly going for it on 4th down rather than kicking field goals kept them out of the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
Repeatedly going for it on 4th down rather than kicking field goals kept them out of the Super Bowl.
2015 AFCCG was one of the greatest games of Brady's career. He was unbelievably good.

It's crazy that we're picking plays out of these games and asking what if? On the 2 pt conversion at the end, Gronk was wide open in the end zone. Brady totally missed him. Bad play by Brady. But it's myopic to single out one instance of bad play in a game in which Brady played out of his mind.

........I guess some folks are too uncomfortable with the unknown so they let their judgment/imagination fill in the blanks.

......and then there are folks who are completely comfortable with being told not to ask questions and for accountability. "Keep pissing on my head and telling me that it's raining, Mr. Madoff". Even the extreme #1 Loyal Soldier Matthew Slater is at least questioning 'why?'.

There are different types of people with different outlooks,, Tune. Vive la difference! Evidently your type is 100% trusting in Belichick and will never waver. That's great. There are some people who believe in blind loyalty. Given his well-documented history, I say "Trust, but verify".

Just as you say the above, the other angle is that the fans pay Belichick their money (his 1%er compensation - otherwise, he'd be a high school gym teacher) and the players gave him their lives to risk for 10 months of that year. and he states he doesn't owe anyone of those two parties (including Kraft who actually wrote his checks and obviously STILL doesn't know the reason) an explanation. Sorry that's where I get off that boat. He expects all of these people to just pledge loyalty to him to not ever give a reason for that last minute decision. It is what it is.

Last edited:
There are different types of people with different outlooks,, Tune. Vive la difference!

Just as you say the above, the other angle is that the fans gave Belichick their money (his 1%er compensation - otherwise, he'd be a high school gym teacher) and the players gave him their lives to risk for 10 months of that year. he doesn't owe anyone of those two parties (including Kraft who actually wrote his checks) an explanation? He expects all of these people to just pledge loyalty to him to not ever give a reason for that last minute decision?

I would say the other type of person would say "Don't piss on my head and tell me that it's raining, Bill".
That wasn't Bill's style. Bill was more like: piss on your head and tell you it is what it is.

Another instance of pissing on one's head and telling them it is raining......

(btw, that video cuts off at the most interesting part!!!)
Yeah Ive been waiting to hear what he was going to say next if it's of any value we'll see it.

Another instance of pissing on one's head and telling them it is raining......

(btw, that video cuts off at the most interesting part!!!)
Kraft is aware of the public perception of himself in the Dynasty

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back