PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Re-Assessment: After a Good Draft/FA, These Players are maybe on the Proverbial Hot Seat

I am totally aware and was disappointed. I am only too willing to be proven an inept evaluator. (Wouldn't be the first time).
I'm with you, I just think it's a done deal that we're getting more Wise, so the only thing we can really hope for is that he's good.

I wouldn't want to be Keane or Asiasi. This will be a make or break camp for Cajuste. I thought he was a steal and stash pick, lets see if he can stay healthy. It will be interesting to see if Wynn and Michel get their 5th year options picked up. I'm leaning towards "yes" for both of them.

I was over at OTC and cut the roster down to 54:

I thought that Terez Hall showed a little something, but he is in for a roster spot fight with Bentley, and McMillan only one of those three make the team.

I think Bolden's time might have come. Other notable cuts: Bethel, Cody Davis, Keane, Asiasi, King, Vitale, Spence, Bower, Stidham, Reynolds, Montavius Adams, Virgin, Devin Smith, Cunningham, Marcus Martin, Carl Davis, Aguayo

I think all the draft picks aside from Nixon get a roster spot, Nixon will have to beat our Gunner.

I can see why no UDFA, just not enough room on the roster, plus one less pre-season game.
Bethel will probably make the team replacing Slater who will retire.

Bethel will probably make the team replacing Slater who will retire.

Not until we go through maybe the best special teams unit the Pats have ever had , this season !

Based on numbers alone we have a ****load of 2-6 technique DLs.

I see us at the most keeping 6.

Montravius Adams
Henry Anderson
Christian Barmore
Byron Cowart
Carl Davis
Davon Godchaux
Lawrence Guy
Bill Murray
Akeem Spence
Nick Thurman
Why is Deatrich Wise, Jr. not on the list above? I see the Patriots keeping Christian Barmore, Davon Godchaux, Lawrence Guy, Deatrich Wise, Jr., Henry Anderson, and Montravius Adams

On the issue of N'Keal Harry, he'll make this team as the #4 and be better with the rookie throwing the ball, and because he will be covered by the least athletic DB on the opposing roster. It will be like the Ben Watson and Rob Gronkowski years - Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry will attract a lot of attention from opposing defenses making the going much easier for the wideouts in 2021.

Great point. Tough to see a future for Keene or Asiasi when there are 2 TEs newly added for big multi-year contracts. But that's how important TE play is and how bad it was to not have any quality TE play in 2020.

TE is an oft-injured position. They'll keep 3, at least. Keene might fight for H-back role, or one of them might get stashed in the PS. Asiasi had, and still has, a lot of potential.

Why is Deatrich Wise, Jr. not on the list above? I see the Patriots keeping Christian Barmore, Davon Godchaux, Lawrence Guy, Deatrich Wise, Jr., Henry Anderson, and Montravius Adams

On the issue of N'Keal Harry, he'll make this team as the #4 and be better with the rookie throwing the ball, and because he will be covered by the least athletic DB on the opposing roster. It will be like the Ben Watson and Rob Gronkowski years - Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry will attract a lot of attention from opposing defenses making the going much easier for the wideouts in 2021.
Wise should have been included

Undrafted Meyers had more production and trust in Brady in the exact same 2019 season. The excuse making for Harry is not in the realm of rationality anymore.

Except he didn't - as you were just shown. What's weird is that you're extrapolating because of draft position regarding 2019, not performance, and yelling at everyone else.

It's not "excuse making" to show the out-in-the-open problems Harry had in 2019. He rarely, if ever, practiced with Brady, and Brady's attitude at the end of 2019 couldn't have been clearer: he was pissed and locking in on Sanu for a bit, and JE. He wouldn't even look Harry's way. There were probably good reasons for that, like Harry not being where he wanted him to be (see above).

Harry flashed a bit last year early - Seattle, for example. He also got lit up over the middle on bad choices by Newton on two occasions that I recall. By the end of the year, the two were miles apart and the Pats were throwing only a couple dozen times a game.

He has not made the jump. He may never make the jump. But pointing out the way-less-than-ideal situation isn't excuse-making.

Maybe I just cheer for the laundry. Harry's still on the team. He was really good in college and rated as a top-5 WR (often 2nd or 3rd) in a loaded class. If it clicks with him, he's an NFL receiver. If it doesn't, soon, he's done. he needs to play bigger and meaner.

I hope it works for him.

Anderson, Barmore, Godchaux, Guy, and probably Cowart. Could see Spence or Davis grabbing the Cowart spot though.
We have five that will be on the 53/

Guy and Barmore

GUARANTEES
Godchaux $15M
Wise $10M
Anderson $3M ($2M bonus)
==================================
There could be a 6th spot. I would note that Adams only has a $50K guarantee and competes with Cowart, Spence and Davis.

We have five that will be on the 53/

Guy and Barmore

GUARANTEES
Godchaux $15M
Wise $10M
Anderson $3M ($2M bonus)
==================================
There could be a 6th spot. I would note that Adams only has a $50K guarantee and competes with Cowart, Spence and Davis.
were the rosters not extended to 55 with one game more per season?

TE is an oft-injured position. They'll keep 3, at least. Keene might fight for H-back role, or one of them might get stashed in the PS. Asiasi had, and still has, a lot of potential.

Agree. Definitely need them plus you never know with injuries

Wise should be. Agree. I still think of him as an edge guy even though he's more like Bobby Hamilton/Trey Flowers type now

These Patriots competitive positions and more will be exacerbated over the next weeks and months when the Patriots sign several experienced players cut by their teams for cap considerations as a result of draft picks at their positions. Given the lack of UDFA moves by the Pats, it looks like the plan is to fill the competitive roster with displaced persons who have some NFL experience.

Although Harry’s attitude seems really bad, he should be given one last camp to see how he meshes with Jones.

Michel stays as he’s the veteran runner and most experienced player aside from White. Harris is far from a sure thing as he’s been injured and missed many games two years in a row.

As pointless of a draft pick Williams was, there’s no point releasing/trading him now.

Winovich on the other hand, should be feeling the heat. Uche, Jennings and Perkins will be wanting his job.

Ditto with Wise Jr..

were the rosters not extended to 55 with one game more per season?
My understanding is that the situation is the same as 2020, and that the owners exercised their option under the CBA to have 17 games.

The roster limit stays at 53. The Practrice Squad is increased. It is easier to promote players to the Active Roster. There is an additional active roster spot for an 8th OL.

These Patriots competitive positions and more will be exacerbated over the next weeks and months when the Patriots sign several experienced players cut by their teams for cap considerations as a result of draft picks at their positions. Given the lack of UDFA moves by the Pats, it looks like the plan is to fill the competitive roster with displaced persons who have some NFL experience.

It's harder to fill UDFA with so little tape this year and so many games or seasons cancelled.

Today is the day we see if Michel does not get the 5th year option, and also see if Wynn gets that expensive 10M 5th year. Wynn probably will because he's talented and only Trent Brown can replace him, but Wynn is so injury prone, he's the JimmyG of left tackles.

Today is the day we see if Michel does not get the 5th year option, and also see if Wynn gets that expensive 10M 5th year. Wynn probably will because he's talented and only Trent Brown can replace him, but Wynn is so injury prone, he's the JimmyG of left tackles.
4PM League deadline
That does not mean that WE will know the answer then

Not sure about Stidham. I think that when/if Jones starts, Cam may ask for his release. Also, the fact that a 4th-round QB wasn't ready to play in year two (especially last year) shouldn't be a huge surprise. I think there's a chance the Patriots may bring in another QB before camp.

I don’t know if it is 100% true or not, but I remember one of the mediots saying that Stidham was “relieved” when Cam was brought in last year. I think that was an instant “ok we’re done with this guy” moment if it was true.

Not sure about Stidham. I think that when/if Jones starts, Cam may ask for his release. Also, the fact that a 4th-round QB wasn't ready to play in year two (especially last year) shouldn't be a huge surprise. I think there's a chance the Patriots may bring in another QB before camp.
I’m also not sure about Stid the Kid, but if that report from last year is true it certainly put him in a hole. However the hip injury and nagging medical problems last year were also factors. Question is whether his California workouts this off season have given him any sort of boost.

Pre-draft I was wondering if Stid’s offseason and Cam‘s age related decline could combine to result in Stidham beating out Cam for the starting slot in training camp. I don’t see either side of that question changing because of the draft. The draft just adds the possibility that Cam’s declining skills open the door for Jones to start as a rookie. If Cam has fallen off (as I think evidence shows he has) I expect it will be an open competition in training camp, with Stidham and Jones both having the opportunity to win the job. Best case scenario might be for Stidham to seize the starter role this year, with Jones as understudy preparing to be the long term future. That will get the best value when Stidham‘s rookie contract expires, while leaving the team with a good option,

another possibility might be, if the report that Stidham was relieved when Cam came on board is true perhaps Stid is destined to be a career backup. That could also be a decent outcome for the team. I figure this will be Cam’s last year in the league, while Stidham has two years left on his contract. So I expect he will be here until his contract runs out, as backup protection if not starting QB.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back