PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport: Dolphins "focused" on Pats' DC Brian Flores

Status
Not open for further replies.
The presence of Steve Belichick and James Ferentz on this team tell me this is not, in fact, the "ultimate meritocracy".

Ferentz was on the Texans PS for 2014. He was active for 20 games for DEN in 2015 & 16 as a backup center/special teamer. He's been the Pats' scout team center since the beginning of 2017, and was promoted this season as an emergency reserve center only after Schwenke went to IR and Mason was out for two games (Karras is the only other backup center on the team).

I really don't get why TF people get down on this guy, except for the fact that his last name is Ferentz. If it was anything else, he'd be just what he is - an emergency backup.

Pretty sure the Pats can fill that position if need be.

He’d be stupid to take that job.
He would be so stupid to not take it. 10 plus million guaranteed.
So you won the lottery and "nah, I will just wait a bit longer for a better payout".?

One down year?
It was a higher profile job than Rutgers and Tampa Bay. He had overwhelming talent...he could have told all the guys to play backyard man to man and produced better results.
What is Schiano’s “entire resume” that you are so impressed with?

Yeah. I wonder whether or not Schiano would be a better fit with the Pats than Bielema.

The presence of Steve Belichick and James Ferentz on this team tell me this is not, in fact, the "ultimate meritocracy".

Steve Belichick is one of the secondary coaches for a defense that finished 7th in points allowed and fifth in yards per pass attempt. And most would agree that the secondary is the strongest unit on that D. It’s easy to see the name and think nepotism (and I’m sure that’s part of it), but it would seem Steve has plenty of merit at this point.

As for Flores, I’d be sad to see him go. He seems like a good coach with a great story, and I was hoping he’d continue to grow here a few more years. But you have to grab these opportunities when they come, especially if it’s your first HC gig. Your second chance should be more discerning, but the money and experience he’ll gain on this one is foolish to pass up.

He would be so stupid to not take it. 10 plus million guaranteed.
So you won the lottery and "nah, I will just wait a bit longer for a better payout".?
Agree. As long as it's an opportunity to learn, grow and it doesn't destroy your family you ALWAYS take the cash.

Agree. As long as it's an opportunity to learn, grow and it doesn't destroy your family you ALWAYS take the cash.

Yes...imagine how short the conversation of “should I take this job” lasts:

It’s quadruple pay in a larger city with some of the most beautiful weather and year round activities.

Flores is gone either this offseason or next most likely. My problem is him going to another team in the division. Listening to defensive players talk about him, you get the feeling Flores might have that special something that will make him a successful head coach.

I remember reading early last offseason how Flores was a favorite of the Krafts. I’m hoping Bob Kraft steps up with a contractual offer and title that keeps him from jumping to the Dolphins. The performance of this D has earned him the D Coordinator title.

Give him a 4 year deal worth averaging $2.5 a year guaranteed. Flores would hardly be putting his family at risk $10 million guaranteed over the next 4 years.

The Dolphins ownership is a mess. Flores would be better off waiting a year or two for a better opportunity and chance to take some other Patriot assistants with him to improve his chances of succeeding.

Yeah, only a moron would take a job with a significantly better title and a 5x pay raise.

Yeah, only a moron would take a HC job in Miami where all good coaches go to die, get handcuffed, try to win an ass kicking contest with only one leg, get fired and have to wait 5 years for another shot at a HC job.

This is an absolutely dumb move by Flores. He might get what he wants in the short term, but this definitely will hurt him in the long run.

Why do you think he was so slow to rise in the Patriots ranks? McD became the OC pretty quickly. BFlo technically hasn’t even made def coordinator status. Do you think it’s because RAC, Dean Pees, Patrcia, etc were just older, more experienced, etc?

Patricia was a great coach and he also had a "red shirt" year. Pepper Johnson was apparently in the mix and left when he wasn't picked. Sometimes opportunity happens and certain guys give an indication of being ready.

This is an absolutely dumb move by Flores. He might get what he wants in the short term, but this definitely will hurt him in the long run.

Really? Would you pass on a job that pays $4M a year & sets you up for life? Flores would be a fool to pass on this opportunity.

Yeah, only a moron would take a HC job in Miami where all good coaches go to die, get handcuffed, try to win an ass kicking contest with only one leg, get fired and have to wait 5 years for another shot at a HC job.

On the other hand, he might not get another opportunity. Let's face it, unless Brady's trainer invents a pill for immortality, the future of this franchise is very uncertain right now.

Really? Would you pass on a job that pays $4M a year & sets you up for life? Flores would be a fool to pass on this opportunity.

Yes, $4 million would certainly set Flores up for the rest of his life. But what if his passion is coaching football? What if it is his dream to become an NFL HC, rather than retire to putter around in his workshop?

The record of HC's in Miami (there were 12 in total) going on to find another HC gig in the NFL is very abysmal.

On the other hand, he might not get another opportunity. Let's face it, unless Brady's trainer invents a pill for immortality, the future of this franchise is very uncertain right now.

I actually would argue that his chances of getting a HC gig is going up slowly- and if he were to be part of a SB win, in the next 1-2 years, he will get his pick of which organization he wants to be part of, and he would want a competent organization that offers security, not a capricious owner like Ross who is fond of cutting down trees before they are able to bear fruit.

It seems like a done deal but we can't know til the playoffs are dome. If so, does Belichick get more involved, maybe with a replacement candidate holding a clipboard? I'd never judge a guy i his first year but if he's gone, I'd have to say defensive execution was not consistent, nor was effort, for that matter. They've done more with less in the past.

I actually would argue that his chances of getting a HC gig is going up slowly- and if he were to be part of a SB win, in the next 1-2 years, he will get his pick of which organization he wants to be part of, and he would want a competent organization that offers security, not a capricious owner like Ross who is fond of cutting down trees before they are able to bear fruit.

What if he wasn't part of a SB [which he already has been] but the first defensive coordinator of the Danny Etling era? What if he has a lousy record as defensive coordinator, which he isn't yet already? Bird in the hand...

My thought is, there are a lot of bad organizations in the NFL. At least at Miami you could go to the beach.
Agree. I believe 2/3rd of teams and specifically owners are morons

I think your salary range is probably about right for what he’s making, though I would guess it’s also probably closer to the top end or a little more (or will be when officially named DC). Since we don’t know what BB really makes I’m sure there’s no info on assistants, and since spending on coaching isn’t capped and they tend to have a lot of long-term staff my guess is that their pay is probably top of market in that realm.

I could also see that he could value the experience of actually being DC for a couple of years and almost certainly getting to pick the job he wants over the immediate payday. He’s 37. Coaches get fired every year. If he’s all about the Dolphins, thinks he’s ready, and can’t imagine another job coming open that he’d want to consider, then yeah take it of course, no reason not to. Contrarily, he does work for a guy that has some intelligent things to say about being selective about the right situation and not just accepting the first or every HC offer you get.

If there isn’t a handshake deal with McD that kept him in town (or he really does seek out other jobs again next year) it’s also not implausible that Flores could be the next HC in NE in just a few years. That’s gotta be in the back of his mind too. I don’t feel like I know a lot about him other than a couple interviews and seeing him on the sidelines for years, but it is apparent he is trusted and does good work so if he takes his talents to South Beach good luck to him. Can we get Dola back in trade maybe?

Nice post.

I don't know much about Flores either but until I read your post I had not considered Flores being a possible heir to the throne. I don't know if Flores is the guy but I do like the thought of having a defensive minded HC for the post BB/TB years.

The problem with holding out for a “stable” organization with a “good” owner is that those teams are rarely looking for head coaches, never mind first timers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes