Rapoport: Dolphins "focused" on Pats' DC Brian Flores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flores and McD both joined around 2004.

McD got a Broncos coaching job in about 5 yrs

Flores has waited 14 years

He's more qualified than most of the recent HC hires

McD joined us in 2001.

Yeah.. don't like this report at all. Hope it doesn't happen.
Unfortunately it's not a report. It would be official if the Patriots were to be eliminated

This probably would never happen but I want the BB-Rex Ryan team up.

Where's the proof of this? Because I think that'd be a really bad sign that BB has forgotten what it was like to climb up the coaching ranks. If he honestly stands in the way of one of his assistants getting a promotion somewhere that's asinine.

What I always thought was that his frustration came from Mangini using the plane ride back from their final game that season to try to recruit. Which I totally get. There's a time and a place for that and it sure as **** isn't a few hours after the final game of the season.

I can't find it now. But I remember reading that the Parcells coaching tree had a unspoken rule about assistants leaving for HC jobs pilfering the coaching staff on their way out. Maybe Halberstam's book.....

And BB has always been helpful for any assistant moving up over the years. He has always given his blessings except for Mangini and maybe Pees....

Pretty sure the Pats can fill that position if need be.

He’d be stupid to take that job.

He'd be stupid not to. Right now he is making @ $3-$500k per, HC's start around$5M per (except in Cincy where they still pay in Green Stamps), life changing money right there.

So if the defense looks super bowl 52 bad Sunday, does this still hold?

He'd be stupid not to. Right now he is making @ $3-$500k per, HC's start around$5M per (except in Cincy where they still pay in Green Stamps), life changing money right there.
I think your salary range is probably about right for what he’s making, though I would guess it’s also probably closer to the top end or a little more (or will be when officially named DC). Since we don’t know what BB really makes I’m sure there’s no info on assistants, and since spending on coaching isn’t capped and they tend to have a lot of long-term staff my guess is that their pay is probably top of market in that realm.

I could also see that he could value the experience of actually being DC for a couple of years and almost certainly getting to pick the job he wants over the immediate payday. He’s 37. Coaches get fired every year. If he’s all about the Dolphins, thinks he’s ready, and can’t imagine another job coming open that he’d want to consider, then yeah take it of course, no reason not to. Contrarily, he does work for a guy that has some intelligent things to say about being selective about the right situation and not just accepting the first or every HC offer you get.

If there isn’t a handshake deal with McD that kept him in town (or he really does seek out other jobs again next year) it’s also not implausible that Flores could be the next HC in NE in just a few years. That’s gotta be in the back of his mind too. I don’t feel like I know a lot about him other than a couple interviews and seeing him on the sidelines for years, but it is apparent he is trusted and does good work so if he takes his talents to South Beach good luck to him. Can we get Dola back in trade maybe?

Unless he has no family or close friends, and no social interests (church, charity, etc.), he'd be pretty selfish to walk away from it, as well. You could change a lot of people's lives with that money; the value of that vs. the potential of a few years with a bumpy career is pretty stark.

I'd say that if he didn't take the job and the Pats D takes a step back next year then he might have wasted his shot.

But we also live in a world where random guys like Vance Joseph and Kliff Kingsbury get offered jobs out of nowhere, so who the hell knows? Resumewise, you wouldn't think the D-coordinator of the 30th ranked team with only one year of experience at that level would merit a job, but Mike Vrabel was that when he got tapped by the Titans.

All that's to say, I have no idea what criteria teams are using to judge candidates. If he gets offered the job and it doesn't seem fishy for whatever reason, I'd think he'd have a hard time saying no.

They said his interview was the longest and started in the evening and they talked to the wee hours of the morning.

My question is who is the new DC I want a aggressive play caller.
If that is Schaino I am good with that.

My question is who is the new DC I want a aggressive play caller.
If that is Schaino I am good with that.

Very hard to be aggressive in bb’s two gapper my defense.

I know coaching is a dream for most and financially beneficial, yet a Pats coach that takes an AFC, or even worse AFCE job post Mangina...well..one would seem to think better of it.

Flores...guess not.

I know coaching is a dream for most and financially beneficial, yet a Pats coach that takes an AFC, or even worse AFCE job post Mangina...well..one would seem to think better of it.

Flores...guess not.

It's not really about the AFCE. It's about the Jets (and poaching too many coaches and too much info).

See Saban, Nick

It's not really about the AFCE. It's about the Jets (and poaching too many coaches and too much info).

See Saban, Nick

Yeah but Saban wasn’t under Bill since ‘95 and in Cleveland. Not like he has institutional knowledge etc of the Pats organization. Yes he may have more idea about Bill than most...but a coordinater that is current is far different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft