PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport: Dolphins "focused" on Pats' DC Brian Flores

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find it now. But I remember reading that the Parcells coaching tree had a unspoken rule about assistants leaving for HC jobs pilfering the coaching staff on their way out. Maybe Halberstam's book.....

And BB has always been helpful for any assistant moving up over the years. He has always given his blessings except for Mangini and maybe Pees....

Pees - who is also a part of the Nick Saban/Steve Belichick coaching tree, btw - declined to re-sign with the Pats after the 2009 season, and signed on as LB coach for the Ravens. When he was promoted to Ravens DC a couple years later, there was a story (a credible one) that he'd left the Pats because he wasn't happy/comfortable with BB's decision to transition from the 3-4 to the 40-front/hybrid the Pats have been running since 2010.

Hope Belichick serves as defensive coordinator for next season; I don't see how it could get better than that. Might allow McDaniels to have a bit more autonomy handling the offensive game-plan, better preparing him for a future head-coaching gig.

Doubt that there is any way McDaniels can have more autonomy than he already has. Unless you think being DC would mean no more Monday 1v1 meetings between BB and Brady.

Flores leaving might just accelerate Stephen Belichick's rise a bit. I think there is a good chance he becomes LB coach next season and will be on the fast track to DC within the next 2-3 years. Which bodes well for BB staying on for at least another 4-5 years.

This could mean 1-2 years of Schiano stepping in as DC. Or maybe Bielema. Or like you suggested maybe BB in the interim. Personally I hope BB keeps his focus on the big picture during games and someone else runs the defense.

Yeah but Saban wasn’t under Bill since ‘95 and in Cleveland. Not like he has institutional knowledge etc of the Pats organization. Yes he may have more idea about Bill than most...but a coordinater that is current is far different.

IIRC Saban and Belichick have been buddies since the early 1980s, when Saban was the DB coach for Navy, working with Bill's dad. They met when Steve had Saban over for dinner when BB (then LB coach for the Giants) was home for the weekend. They've been collaborating on defensive schemes ever since, and developed the pattern-matching-zone coverage scheme together when Saban was BB's DC in Cleveland.

If there's anybody on the planet who could step into the Pats DC position already having intimate knowledge of the system and schemes, it's Saban.

Belichick & Saban: The stories behind a friendship

Doubt that there is any way McDaniels can have more autonomy than he already has. Unless you think being DC would mean no more Monday 1v1 meetings between BB and Brady.

Flores leaving might just accelerate Stephen Belichick's rise a bit. I think there is a good chance he becomes LB coach next season and will be on the fast track to DC within the next 2-3 years. Which bodes well for BB staying on for at least another 4-5 years.

This could mean 1-2 years of Schiano stepping in as DC. Or maybe Bielema. Or like you suggested maybe BB in the interim. Personally I hope BB keeps his focus on the big picture during games and someone else runs the defense.

I sometimes think that the biggest benefit to BB of having relatively autonomous coordinators is that it frees him up so that he can spend his time coaching players individually on the practice field.

Surprised to hear the talk about Nick Saban being thought of as the Pats DC.. why would a 67 year old who makes 11+ million dollars a year as a HC of Alabama leave that post?? He has fielded a perennial winner in the SEC...

Back to the topic at hand, was not aware of the relationship between Flores and Chris Grier , so instead of focusing on Flores accomplishments. Grier is focusing on his character and leadership. If true wish him well..

Pees - who is also a part of the Nick Saban/Steve Belichick coaching tree, btw - declined to re-sign with the Pats after the 2009 season, and signed on as LB coach for the Ravens. When he was promoted to Ravens DC a couple years later, there was a story (a credible one) that he'd left the Pats because he wasn't happy/comfortable with BB's decision to transition from the 3-4 to the 40-front/hybrid the Pats have been running since 2010.
Also a rumor that Pees liked his booze and showed up with a cloudy head a couple of times the next day, and that there was a mutual agreement to part ways. Probably not true, but it sure made its way around at the time.

Surprised to hear the talk about Nick Saban being thought of as the Pats DC.. why would a 67 year old who makes 11+ million dollars a year as a HC of Alabama leave that post?? He has fielded a perennial winner in the SEC...
He wouldn’t, nor would Belichick insult him by asking. That talk is ridiculous.

Yeah, only a moron would take a job with a significantly better title and a 5x pay raise.

People have turned down jobs with significant pay increases before. He may be talented but he’s not really ready because his DC experience is limited.

Last edited:
Got it so one down year in college wipes out his entire career and he'll be a dog if we bring him in as DC.

One down year?
It was a higher profile job than Rutgers and Tampa Bay. He had overwhelming talent...he could have told all the guys to play backyard man to man and produced better results.
What is Schiano’s “entire resume” that you are so impressed with?

Flores and McD both joined around 2004.

McD got a Broncos coaching job in about 5 yrs

Flores has waited 14 years

He's more qualified than most of the recent HC hires

Why do you think he was so slow to rise in the Patriots ranks? McD became the OC pretty quickly. BFlo technically hasn’t even made def coordinator status. Do you think it’s because RAC, Dean Pees, Patrcia, etc were just older, more experienced, etc?

Personally I hope BB keeps his focus on the big picture during games and someone else runs the defense.

This. Hiring an experienced DC might be a good idea.

Why do you think he was so slow to rise in the Patriots ranks? McD became the OC pretty quickly. BFlo technically hasn’t even made def coordinator status. Do you think it’s because RAC, Dean Pees, Patrcia, etc were just older, more experienced, etc?

I don’t follow. What’s your rationale for his slow rise?

I don’t follow. What’s your rationale for his slow rise?

That’s my question...I think BFlo has done a great job with the role he played with this year’s defense. Former players speak highly of him. I’ve never heard a negative comment about him.
@DropKickFlutie posted an excellent point about how long BFlo has been in the Patriots system. I was just questioning why it took 14 years to become a pseudo coordinator. What held him back in the back in the ultimate meritocracy?
I hope we don’t lose him. I like this denfese.

That’s my question...I think BFlo has done a great job with the role he played with this year’s defense. Former players speak highly of him. I’ve never heard a negative comment about him.
@DropKickFlutie posted an excellent point about how long BFlo has been in the Patriots system. I was just questioning why it took 14 years to become a pseudo coordinator. What held him back in the back in the ultimate meritocracy?
I hope we don’t lose him. I like this denfese.

The presence of Steve Belichick and James Ferentz on this team tell me this is not, in fact, the "ultimate meritocracy".

Back to the topic at hand, was not aware of the relationship between Flores and Chris Grier , so instead of focusing on Flores accomplishments. Grier is focusing on his character and leadership. If true wish him well..
People are placing way too much emphasis on needing to be a coordinator for x years.

John & Jim Harbaugh was never a DC or OC. Neither was Chumley Reid.

Flores has 14 years of experience in a multitude of roles. He's been mentored by BB. It's no suprise to me he's getting serious interest

Also a rumor that Pees liked his booze and showed up with a cloudy head a couple of times the next day, and that there was a mutual agreement to part ways. Probably not true, but it sure made its way around at the time.

Yeah. Media. Any parting of ways must be something personal and/or sensational. It can never be about anything actually, y'know, football-related. That would be boooooorrrrrriiiiing.

One down year?
It was a higher profile job than Rutgers and Tampa Bay. He had overwhelming talent...he could have told all the guys to play backyard man to man and produced better results.
What is Schiano’s “entire resume” that you are so impressed with?
Buckeye fans were not sad to see him go, that’s for sure. They’ve been calling for his head since around October.

There have been a few older, more experienced defensive position coaches ahead of Flores since he finally switched to the coaching side in 2008. McD became QB coach in 2004, and immediately hit it off with Brady.

It's not anything like and apples-to-apples comparison.

I was just questioning why it took 14 years to become a pseudo coordinator.

Flores was in the scouting department for his first four years with the Pats (2004-2007). He didn't start actually coaching until 2008 (special teams assistant).

Patrica started coaching with the Pats in 2004 (offensive assistant), and became a defensive position coach (LBs) in 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back