PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Projected 2021 Salary Cap Decrease of $30-80 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
But close to 40 million below what was expected, and there is a lot of belief that teams have structured contracts relying on the year to year increases.

Right but far less of a doomsday scenario for some teams. I doubt that revenue will be significantly above projections, so 175 million is likely the number for next year. That is good news for Patriots fans, given their huge salary cap surplus next year.

New England Patriots Salary Cap | Over the Cap

Granted, they will have several starters that will need to be resigned or replaced, but the Pats can also pick up another ~$10 million simply by cutting ties with Cannon and Allen.

Can one of our salary cap enthusiasts come up with a way for the Chiefs to maintain their current roster next year, let alone add any free agent talent? They will probably restructure Clark's contract, either cut or restructure Mathieu, Hitchens and Okafor, but even those moves would still seemingly leave them with less than $5 million in cap space, best case scenario.

Kansas City Chiefs Salary Cap | Over the Cap

Right but far less of a doomsday scenario for some teams. I doubt that revenue will be significantly above projections, so 175 million is likely the number for next year. That is good news for Patriots fans, given their huge salary cap surplus next year.

New England Patriots Salary Cap | Over the Cap

Granted, they will have several starters that will need to be resigned or replaced, but the Pats can also pick up another ~$10 million simply by cutting ties with Cannon and Allen.

Can one of our salary cap enthusiasts come up with a way for the Chiefs to maintain their current roster next year, let alone add any free agent talent? They will probably restructure Clark's contract, either cut or restructure Mathieu, Hitchens and Okafor, but even those moves would still seemingly leave them with less than $5 million in cap space, best case scenario.

Kansas City Chiefs Salary Cap | Over the Cap
But this is not an agreement, just a proposal.

What in the world are you talking about. There is no agreement supporting what you says would happen.
There is now.

4 years. They’re spreading the cap hit out over 4 years. Just like I said they would and you insisted (with your usual assortment of personal insults) that they wouldn’t.

There is now.

4 years. They’re spreading the cap hit out over 4 years. Just like I said they would and you insisted (with your usual assortment of personal insults) that they wouldn’t.
Link?
Everything I’ve read said the PROPOSAL is for the cap to drop 23 mill next year.

That doesn’t say what is being purported.
Note the argument I disagreed with was that the owners would agree to keep the cap at the same level as 2020 and them spread the losses over the future.
This says the cap will drop 23 million per team, over 700 million in total if revenues are decreased.
It is not at all what was argued that I said would not happen.
By the way, in return for any concession that could cause, the owners get back the pay as you go savings if all games aren’t played.

oh my.... oh my.... looks like it is time for someone to eat some serious crow.... Andy, this could possibly be the most epic "I told you so" in forum history.... They are doing exactly what I (and a few others in here) said they would do.

"It makes a lot of sense to “borrow” against future cap numbers to avoid a nightmare situation." - Me

"There is no possible way owners would fall for that." - R6
"There is no way in earth any owner would go for this." - R6
"if you believe that owners who lose 2.5 billion in revenue will happily pay players 1.3 billion more than they collectively bargained for TODAY in order to get 1.44 billion in reductions over 5 years you literally have no concept of finance." - R6
"Now I am starting to see where you lack knowledge ... I’ve tried to explain this to you. I just think you don’t understand the concept." R6
" ... you keep raising the bar of stupidity so I’m just compelled to continue." - R6
"I fully know what you are proposing but I also know there is no chance ever that owners would agree to it." - R6
"Are you that dense?" - R6
"This isn’t even debatable. Anyone who ever worked in any type of financial setting or did well in high school economics would be rolling in the floor laughing at you saying that’s the best move for the owners." - R6
"They will not accept that. No way. No how." - R6
Oops. You should have waited for the facts.

Your "I told you so" is celebrated by the PatsFans community, but I suspect a certain individual is already doing intense gymnastics in his mind while trying to create a pitiful rebuttal.
You were 100% right. He’s now doing the “i didn’t say what I said!” maneuver.

That’s ok. The internet is forever and every quote in my gloat post is 100% accurate.

Oops. You should have waited for the facts.
Andy you’re making a fool of yourself. You said they would NEVER spread the cap hit out and that’s exactly what they’re doing (as I predicted they would).

Everyone can read the thread. Every quote in my gloat post is 100% accurate. Just be a man for once in your life and admit you were wrong. You’d look a lot less foolish.

You were 100% right. He’s now doing the “i didn’t say what I said!” maneuver.

That’s ok. The internet is forever and every quote in my gloat post is 100% accurate.
What I said is in the record. What you claimed would happen did not and what you claimed was agreed to today was not what was agreed to. You are even wrong at being wrong.

Andy you’re making a fool of yourself. You said they would NEVER spread the cap hit out and that’s exactly what they’re doing (as I predicted they would).

Everyone can read the thread. Every quote in my gloat post is 100% accurate. Just be a man for once in your life and admit you were wrong. You’d look a lot less foolish.
I said exactly that they would never keep the cap at this years level if revenues sank and make it up later.
And they didn’t do that.
In fact what they did was get the players to concede that they will not be paid for any games that aren’t played (a tremendous concession) in return for setting a minimum cap more than 23,000,000 per team less than this years.
This couldn’t be farther from what you predicted.

You should take your own advice because you were 100% wrong. Pretending that the agreement is something that it literally isn’t is shameful.

What I said is in the record. What you claimed would happen did not and what you claimed was agreed to today was not what was agreed to. You are even wrong at being wrong.
"It makes a lot of sense to “borrow” against future cap numbers to avoid a nightmare situation." - Me
Just man up for once in your life and admit you got something wrong. Everyone already knows it.

Just man up for once in your life and admit you got something wrong. Everyone already knows it.
They didn’t do that.
They negotiated not having to play the players this year in return for a minimum cap next year which is set at what is likely to be the real number if they play the full season at reduced attendance.
There is nothing in there about borrowing from future caps except in your triggered mind.
It’s ok to admit you were wrong, it was a terrible opinion to begin with, I’m sure you can do better in the future.

Andy. What say you?

Let’s do some math. If each team loses 46 million in revenue this year. That’s 1.5 billion league wide.
Next years cap by current rule would go down 23 million and this agreement would have no impact whatsoever. The cap would go down to exactly what is in the cba. There is no increase, nothing to “spread”.
If each team loses more than 48 million, that would mean games didn’t get played and the owners do not have to pay the players for those games meaning they get reductions THIS year.
There is a much greater likelihood that this saves money on the front end for the owners and in the slim chance it causes more up front cost to the owners it would be minimal
and would be mitigated by crushing payroll in 2020.
I’m still waiting to see where the owners agreed to keep the cap the same in 2021 and spread the reduction over future years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes