PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pro Days 2017

Kittle's no longer a secret: Mike Mayock has him rated as the #5 TE now, behind only Howard, Njoku, Everett & Engram.

But to take him with our very first pick, when we need Pass-Rushers & OLmen?
No way; end of the 3rd round is more appropriate, unless a Butler trade produces 2 more top-100 picks.

Maybe we can just convert him into a DE/OLB. His testing numbers are on par with or better than DeMarcus Ware and Von Miller. Just kidding . . . mostly.

FSU pro day today. I'm keeping an eye on DeMarcus Walker. I don't expect him to light things up, but I do think he's a good football player. With Guy and Ealy in the fold, though, I see less playing time than I would have predicted otherwise. Still, I've got to check in on one of my guys. :)

Signing Lawrence Guy does nothing to mitigate our need for more Pass-Rushers, however.

Freak. Could be on the verge of putting up better numbers than Luke Kuechly.

Freak. Could be on the verge of putting up better numbers than Luke Kuechly.

He has been compared to Ray Lewis a number of times. If Belichick likes him, then I could see a lot of potential for him in our defense.

He has been compared to Ray Lewis a number of times. If Belichick likes him, then I could see a lot of potential for him in our defense.

Agreed. I've really liked him from the start. Has good instincts in coverage, explodes into the backfield and isn't afraid to take on linemen. Considering we've looked at a number of other linebackers it wouldn't surprise me at all providing we get the picks.

Better than expected!

The jumps were mediocre, though. 33" vertical and reportedly a 9'7 broad jump. Just okay.

Last edited:
My man D'Onta Foreman with the 4.41 in the 40 today. I can't understand why Fournette is considered a top ten guy, but Foreman is a 5th rounder.

Apparently Teez Tabor ran in the upper 4.7 range today. His stock is going to take a nosedive if teams feel that he simply can't cover downfield. He's so instinctive and productive, though. I'd like to think that a team can take a chance on him and put him in a position to play to his strengths. He was considered a top 10 prospect at times throughout the year; I can't believe he doesn't still have some value if a team has a specific plan for him.

My man D'Onta Foreman with the 4.41 in the 40 today. I can't understand why Fournette is considered a top ten guy, but Foreman is a 5th rounder.

Fournette runs against the SEC and Foreman in the Big 12. Empty boxes and bad defenses.

Tons of updates here about Foreman's pro day: RosterWatch (@RosterWatch) | Twitter

Apparently the surface was poor in the training facility (people slipping and sliding all over), but Foreman still did 7 seconds flat in the 3-cone. Around 10' in the broad jump. Looked smooth and natural catching the ball, and showed some terrific power in pass pro drills. I'm a believer. Get this kid in as a Blount replacement, and stress ball security. He's a hard worker. He'll improve.

Well, sure, I agree there are other factors. I was mostly just being facetious. :p

I think it's a mix of different factors.

1. No one expected anything from him coming in to the season. He had a good couple games to finish the year last year, but he was a total after thought, and unknown property as a HS kid.

2. Texas has a monster o-line that will soon have a lot of highly drafted guys. The hard part is separating the running back from the situation. When you haven't fully evaluated the o-line, it's not easy to properly evaluate the guy running between them.

3. He has just enough things to give question marks, and so little tape to give proper answers.

His fumble rate is high, but it didn't become a problem until he was carrying the ball wayyyy more than he should've have been. Is it a conditioning issue or a style issue?
He got dinged up quite a bit, so will he be able to stay on the field? Is he soft, or again, is it conditioning?
The offense was all play-action, which gave defenses just enough pause to not lock in on him. Can he run with 8 guys in the box regularly, and hold on to the ball?
He bounces plays a lot to the outside, is that because he doesn't want to get hit, or because his athleticism allows it. A 205lb guy we wouldn't question it, but at 230+, bouncing looks like weakness.

I think he's a terrific prospect, and my number 2 back for what the Pats need after Mixon. I understand all the concerns, but I think they are light, and could open the door to a home run pick. I question whether we would take someone who isn't "safe", but his package dwarfs a lot of the Patriot style picks that will get bandied about.

Called him Jamal Lewis in my initial scouting breakdown, and I still think it's his ceiling.

Better than expected!

The jumps were mediocre, though. 32" vertical and reportedly a 9'3 broad jump. Rough.

Thanks for the update.
Was he also re-measured for height, weight, arm length & hand size?

Thanks for the update.
Was he also re-measured for height, weight, arm length & hand size?

Yes, he was:

6-3
10 3/8
34 6/8

He was listed at 6'4 at the Combine, so he's probably somewhere in the 6036 range. He hit 4.7 in the 40 and 9'7 in the broad jump. His coach gave him a glowing recommendation in interviews, saying he's a film junkie, hard worker, and will do absolutely anything he's asked to do by the coaches. Pretty good day for him overall. The clips I've seen from his workout look great.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back