PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pro Bowl voting & Patriot players (merged many times)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 6 Patriots make Pro Bowl

Can't Believe Mankins made it in. Misses more than half the season for selfish reasons and makes it. :confused:

Call it whatever you want, selfish it is not :rolleyes:

Mankins making it is as ridiculous as Vick being in the conversation for MVP. Both missed too many games.

Last edited:

If the Pats make it to the superbowl, the selected pro bowls players will not play in the pro bowl game. But they will be considered pro bowl caliber players.

They're Pro Bowlers now.

Before the rearrangement, the rule was you're a Pro Bowler if you're selected on the initial ballot or if you're on the final roster.

I wonder, though: if a player were selected as an alternate, and then his team reaches the Super Bowl, would he be considered a Pro Bowler?

heh...so I drop in on a thread at JI about McCourty being named to the Pro Bowl?...this one clown comes up with "besides Brady, all the Patriots selections can be argued that they didn't deserve to be picked...McCourty is only making it because he's on a 13-2 team, but he's blown a ton of coverages this season and is in the pack of also rans, behind Revis,Asomougha and Flowers". Now, nevermind that McCourty played a helluva tougher string of games against top flight QB's and WR's than Flowers did, but he also racked up better numbers across the board...but the best part is "he got burned a helluva lot"...heh...when?..in that 45-3 debacle puked up by Sancheese?

Jet fan....the gimp that keeps on gimping...and gimping.

Hard to imagine a fan anywhere in the NFL that could say Vince Wilfork is not a deserving selection at nose, but Jet fan is convinced..it's all favoritism

I have to say though, it's somewhat ironic that we have more Pro Bowl players on defense than offense.

personally...I like SUPER Bowls...who cares as long as the team wins...I just never get tired of the level of hatred Jet fan has and the lengths they will go to mock, demean and deride any/every Patriot that's awarded anything...I think Meriwether being picked is a joke...I think Mankins should have to play a full season to be eligible for a pro bowl...he's played pro bowl LEVEL but that's not nearly enough...hard to fathom ANYBODY arguing Wilfork's pick but Jet fan has a thousand arguments and tons of other nose tackles who are way better in their eyes. It is so important to them to get these individual honors and it really pains them to no end when any other team, especially the Pats gets ANY honors at all.

Maybe that's why they remain the biggest losers in the NFL....40 plus years straight...playing patty cake with their all pro dolls

you can say what you want about Brandon Meriweather, but WR's are scard to go over the middle cause of him and Mankins, only played in 8 games but Brady, has not realy been touched since he's been in the line up

Just the fact that Mankins has only played 8 games makes it ridiculous. But thats the probowl for you, just ridiculous in every way.

Personally I think Mankins has been excellent in those 8 games but its not enough to warrant being selected to something thats about consideration of the whole season. Any chance he signs a new deal? Would love it if he stays, I'm sure Brady would too.

Re: Pro Bowl voting & Patriot players

He was "benched" for lateness during the week.

And, yes, you're on crack if you're claiming that Chung, Sanders, Page, McGowan and Brown are all better safeties than Meriweather.
Chung, Sanders and Page are all better safeties than Meriweather in our system.

Our Pass D has looked much better with Sanders back there helping Arrington with his double coverage.

Sanders gets sick, Meriweather goes back there and suddenly Arrington is giving up 3 20+ yard passes

Meriweather was just benched a few games ago... again. Obviously I'm the one on crack. Stop being a homer.

your wrong... don't compound your stupid statement by trying to defend it

Chung, Sanders and Page are all better safeties than Meriweather in our system.

Our Pass D has looked much better with Sanders back there helping Arrington with his double coverage.

Sanders gets sick, Meriweather goes back there and suddenly Arrington is giving up 3 20+ yard passes

Do you share the pipe with Drew4008, or do you use your own?

As the voting is 1/3 fans, players and coaches.. some people are seeing somethings we are not.. thus the "controversial" selections of Mankins and Meriweather...

The rest are really deserving.. especially McCourty and Mayo... that D backfield is about as elite as it gets, so props to him.

Where are all the Mayo haters, who spend a lot of bandwith about how he has so many tackles because of crappy line play???

With that being said, do not give a shyt about the pro bowl..

We should trade Tebucky Merriweither Jones while his value is high. I can't beleive he made the probowl!!!

it's an interesting thought... i personally have always liked merriweather and thought he had loads of talent... but he is a gambler and i think has aspirations of being ed reed freelancer... which this defense just isn't made for.

His value would seem to be as high as ever just coming off 2 pro bowls i wonder what we would get for him.

I only agree because of the good solid play from page and sanders this year with mcgowan back next year or a draft pick could be interesting

Im very surprised Merriweather made it again.

i have to admit i'm surprised about Meriweather and Mankins

what a great season for # 32 Mc Courty.../great !

It really is a flawed system where half the coaches and players vote based on the same media hype and highlights driven perceptions as the fans. Some of those players like Suggs also have agendas and many of them come from "talent" driven systems where perception trumps actual, you know, performance. Merriweather likely got a bump in peer voting based on admiration for his fineable hit.

I hope some intrepid local mediot is digging for the alternates list for NE. (Some teams like the JETS release those immediately to fluff wounded egos like their 5th alternate RB LaClassian...in NE you have to ferret them out.) I would not be surprised if guys like Welker and Gronk aren't on it as 2nd thru 5th alternates (as will be guys like Cassel and Rogers who really deserved the selection before guys like Rivers and Vick). After Vick's performance last night they should really extend pro bowl and all regular season honors voting until the Monday after the final game of the season is in the books...

Congrats to the Pro Bowls. Big Bang Clock didn't deserve it, but I will take it. Mankins didn't either since, although one of the best guards in the game if not the best, he did miss more than half the season. Brady, Mayo, McCourty, and Wilfork were well deserved though.

Kudos guys!

This thread has run amok.

Sergio Brown and Page are not better players than Meriweather, although when healthy, Page has been a solid NFL safety and has a good nose for the ball.

Sanders and Meriweather have had identical seasons statistically

Chung is a vastly superior tackler over all of them.

Meriweather is a superior player over Tebucky Jones.

Last edited:

It really is a flawed system where half the coaches and players vote based on the same media hype and highlights driven perceptions as the fans. Some of those players like Suggs also have agendas and many of them come from "talent" driven systems where perception trumps actual, you know, performance. Merriweather likely got a bump in peer voting based on admiration for his fineable hit.

I hope some intrepid local mediot is digging for the alternates list for NE. (Some teams like the JETS release those immediately to fluff wounded egos like their 5th alternate RB LaClassian...in NE you have to ferret them out.) I would not be surprised if guys like Welker and Gronk aren't on it as 2nd thru 5th alternates (as will be guys like Cassel and Rogers who really deserved the selection before guys like Rivers and Vick). After Vick's performance last night they should really extend pro bowl and all regular season honors voting until the Monday after the final game of the season is in the books...

Cassel getting the nod over Rivers is debatable.

Rodgers > Vick

Do you share the pipe with Drew4008, or do you use your own?

What because someone has a different opinion to you?

Look at the Patriots beat writers, Look at the National writers, hell even look at ProFootballFocus.

The guy is 3rd best Safety at best.

Chung and Sanders are the starters.

Meriweather is a liability. His coverage skills are ok, his freelancing is terrible. His big hits and interceptions are what has got him this recognition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes