PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pro Bowl voting & Patriot players (merged many times)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pro Bowl voting & Patriot players

What because someone has a different opinion to you?

Look at the Patriots beat writers, Look at the National writers, hell even look at ProFootballFocus.

The guy is 3rd best Safety at best.

Chung and Sanders are the starters.

Meriweather is a liability. His coverage skills are ok, his freelancing is terrible. His big hits and interceptions are what has got him this recognition.

Yup. He did the same thing with Maroney.

I think Merriweather has talent. He can certainly hit. Angles sometimes confound him and he wants to freelance which is something Bill will not allow until you've truly earned the right to because you almost never guess wrong and the rest of your teamates are ready to cover your play. I think Bill is being patient with Merriweather as he was with Maroney. I hope the light goes on once and for all. Haven't seen that yet, just flickers. At least he acknowledges his critics include his coaches, which is something Laurence could never bring himself to admit. I hope this second undeserved pro bowl nod doesn't make him thoroughly uncoachable, although if it does I hope we flip him before everyone catches on...

Re: Guess the Patriots Pro Bowlers

Unfortunately, Green-Ellis has ZERO CHANCE. There's Arian Foster, Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Peyton Hillis all ahead of him in the Pro Bowl pecking order.

I have no problems with Jones-Drew or Johnson. Hillis has 8 FUMBLES this year. BJGE has none. BJGE has 12 TDs on 209 carries and Hillis has 11 on 264 carries. They both have a 4.4 YPC.

Re: 6 Patriots make Pro Bowl

Can't Believe Mankins made it in. Misses more than half the season for selfish reasons and makes it. :confused:

That's what I was wondering, though you have to give him credit for playing well enough to make it over guys who played the whole season. But I wouldn't have voted for him.

To answer some earlier questions, Herr Goodell said the Pro Bowl had become "irrelevant" and "anticlimactic" by being played after Super Bowl. (In other breaking news, the Pope is Catholic!) He also said he hoped having the game in the "off week" between the AFC/NFC Championship games and the Super Bowl would help tide fans over. I'm not saying they are good reasons, I'm saying what his reasons are. ;)

The downside, of course, is that you automatically take several NFL stars out of the equation by barring the Super Bowl teams' players. I don't know.

This Meriweather stuff reminds me of the Maroney saga.

Maroney was the 5th best RB last year. (BJGE, Taylor, Morris, Faulk) yet the starter.

Meriweather is definitely inferior to Chung and Sanders as a player. Page we don't know, but the few snaps he's gotten he has made plays. Who knows, maybe the UDFA will be better one day. (Brown) :D

Overall, biggest joke he got in the probowl and hopefully it ups his trade value like many others have said.

Last edited:

Really people, you have to start watching some Patriots games, and watch Meriweather closely, cause he is the best safety in the team and one of the best in the AFC and some guys here are saying Sergio Brown and James Sanders play better than him.

Really people, you have to start watching some Patriots games, and watch Meriweather closely, cause he is the best safety in the team and one of the best in the AFC and some guys here are saying Sergio Brown and James Sanders play better than him.

I watch him very closely.

He's never where he should be.

He's always late to get over to make a tackle or cover.

He gets beaten by playaction.

Sanders is always railed on, but there is never a big play against us when he is on the field.

Congratulations to all the Patriots players who made it to the Pro Bowl this season! All well deserved in my opinion....

Re: 6 Patriots make Pro Bowl

Meriweather makes it and Gronk doesn't....not the way I saw it coming

This is exactly why any award based on voting is 100% bunk. I don't know why people pay so much attention to things like the pro bowl, mvp, etc (in any sport).

Let's not forget that Palmiero won gold glove in the MLB in a year when he was a DH

I watch him very closely.

He's never where he should be.

He's always late to get over to make a tackle or cover.

He gets beaten by playaction.

Sanders is always railed on, but there is never a big play against us when he is on the field.

Sure you do.
Well, usually BB doesn't tolerate these things, and Meriweather keeps playing. Weird isn't it?

This Meriweather stuff reminds me of the Maroney saga.

Maroney was the 5th best RB last year. (BJGE, Taylor, Morris, Faulk) yet the starter.

Meriweather is definitely inferior to Chung and Sanders as a player. Page we don't know, but the few snaps he's gotten he has made plays. Who knows, maybe the UDFA will be better one day. (Brown) :D

Overall, biggest joke he got in the probowl and hopefully it ups his trade value like many others have said.

What's funny is that, outside of Maroney, nobody has received more flack on this board than James Sanders. I've always defended him, and certainly he has played well this year. I do find it humorous, though, that now everyone is singing his praises and claiming that he's better than Meriweather. People here have short memories. And while I love Chung, people tend to overlook that he's given up his own fair share of big plays in the passing game this season. For some reason certain players on this team just lend themselves to criticism, I guess.

Last edited:

What's funny is that, outside of Maroney, nobody has received more flack on this board than James Sanders. I've always defended him, and certainly he has played well this year. I do find it humorous, though, that now everyone is singing his praises and claiming that he's better than Meriweather. People here have short memories.

I am one of those that has never really bashed Sanders, but found him to be very average and even expendable.

In 2010, he has not been average- he has been excellent.

I am one of those that has never really bashed Sanders, but found him to be very average and even expendable.

In 2010, he has not been average- he has been excellent.

I agree, Sanders is a very valuable part of the secondary.

What I don't get is why people want to run Meriweather out of town on a rail. Seems to me that you've got four starting-caliber safeties that give you a diverse array of skills. If I were BB I'd be keeping this group together as long as possible.

Sure you do.
Well, usually BB doesn't tolerate these things, and Meriweather keeps playing. Weird isn't it?

I have the last 3-4 games ever since Chung got healthy.

Meriweather keeps playing because of the fact that Chung is the Nickelback when we go to that package with Wilhite now on IR.

If Butler proves he can play at #2 CB level, I expect to see Arrington as Nickelback with Chung and Sanders as the primary safeties with Page and Meriweather rotating in.

I agree, Sanders is a very valuable part of the secondary.

What I don't get is why people want to run Meriweather out of town on a rail. Seems to me that you've got four starting-caliber safeties that give you a diverse array of skills. If I were BB I'd be keeping this group together as long as possible.

There are a lot of things that are going on with Meriweather. Personally, I do think that he freelances too much and does have a propensity to go for the highlight hit and not the textbook tackle. He does take bad angles which exposes the defense. The problem is those are glaring as they lead to big plays.

However, his physical skills are undeniable. He has decent hands and can lay the lumber. With that said, I firmly believe that he is a big reason that the team has only given up 4 pass plays over 40 yards. The guy covers more ground than a map.

At the end of the day, he is a solid- not spectacular free safety. Folks may be hard on him because of the episode of his tardiness to meetings, etc. as that would indicate he has some professional or maturation issues and in this region, that is unacceptable.

Plus you had potentially the GOAT at SS in #37 which is a standard BW will never live up to both from a performance standpoint but also a positional one. Also, Chung has quickly become a crowd favorite so that hasn't helped his PR campaign.

My .02$

Last edited:

I have the last 3-4 games ever since Chung got healthy.

Meriweather keeps playing because of the fact that Chung is the Nickelback when we go to that package with Wilhite now on IR.

If Butler proves he can play at #2 CB level, I expect to see Arrington as Nickelback with Chung and Sanders as the primary safeties with Page and Meriweather rotating in.

You mean like earlier in the year when BMW and Chung were starting, even with a healthy Wilhite?

Meriweather...pro bowler??

Seriously....

He's horrible.

Can't wait for him to go bye bye come contract time.

My apologies to the forums version of the TSA if this has already been commented on.

Re: Meriweather...pro bowler??

Merriweather is not horrible by all means. He makes some stupid decisions sometimes but he is one of our best safties of you ask me. He doesnt have amillion and one interceptions but he plays decent coverage honestly.

I guarantee we could get two #1 picks for him! :)

He's NOT horrible.

But he's NOT a Pro Bowler. no possible explanation.... many national TV games and fans like the way he looks? :confused:

-- FRITZ

I guarantee we could get two #1 picks for him! :)

Are you serious?

Good player and all, but a 2nd seems like the right starting price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore