PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prisco's underrated/overrated list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merri Berri's is wicked overrate, but I rather have him than not. If we lost him to that shooting case our D would be in HUGE trouble.

Exactly. Even with the disciplining, and with Chung playing nickel/dime back, Meriweather led all safeties in snap percentage. That's because he was the team's best safety.

Taking a Prisco article seriously is as useless as taking a PFF article seriously.

Not that I disagree, but a case could be made that Chung playing NB was what propelled Meriweather to see such a high snap count. Said another way, having to use a safety as a NB meant there was an extra safety spot open on the field.

And Chung certainly would have had more snaps had ne not gotten injured.

Even despite these things, BB does seem to have a higher opinion of Meriweather than the fans, though I have to admit I come down more on the "fan" side of things myself. I'd dump Brandon for a 3rd rounder and never look back.

I digress, but what games and why was Hernandez playing snaps at safety? Curious. Or was it like on punt return teams...?

And yet . . .

LB Jerod Mayo -- 1,066 of 1,101 (96.8 percent)
CB Devin McCourty -- 1,050 of 1,101 (95.4 percent)
S Brandon Meriweather -- 881 of 1,101 (80.0 percent) [3rd overall]
CB Kyle Arrington -- 849 of 1,101 (77.1 percent)
S Patrick Chung -- 796 of 1,101 (72.3 percent)
S James Sanders -- 779 of 1,101 (70.8 percent)
CB Darius Butler -- 381 of 1,101 (34.6 percent)
CB Jonathan Wilhite-- 204 of 1,101 (18.5 percent)
S Jarrad Page -- 186 of 1,101 (16.9 percent)
S Sergio Brown -- 86 of 1,101 (7.8 percent)
S Aaron Hernandez -- 2 of 1,101 (.2 percent)

I digress, but what games and why was Hernandez playing snaps at safety? Curious. Or was it like on punt return teams...?

It was probably on Hail Mary's.

Last edited:
I'd like to go on record as saying that - Polomaulu is very overrated. No doubt about it, just watch him.
That is all I wanted to say.

The only coach that matters is Belichick and he seems to agree with Prisco since he benched Meriweather this past season for freelancing. I think Ras-I Dowling is going to be his replacement too since I think Meriweather is gone after this season.

As for his being voted to the Pro Bowl, the players and coaches are not immune to voting for overrated players. Happens every year.

Assuming the rook can play (the big one) and knowing other coaches high rating of Merri, maybe he should be traded, perhaps at the end of camp if there is ine for a high 2012 pick. A 2nd plus...?

You forgot Antrel Rolle. He got 5 years, $37 million. And let's not forget Bob Sanders who got a 5 years, $37.5 million. Meriweather will be looking for about $7 million a year.

Sorry, but Meriweather is likely to get about $7 million a year depending on the new CBA. It isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but if they are paying Meriweather $2-3 million more than they want for that position, it still will provent the Patriots from making another move.

Look at Logan Mankins, he is arguably one of the 1-3 best guards in the league and they weren't going to pay him top dollar (the best they offered was #3 guard money). And the top guards don't make much more than the top safeties. In fact, you take away Jahri Evans and I think the top guards make less than the top safeties. You think that that the Pats are pay Meriweather top dollar to be an above average safety? Do you think the Pats are going to pay Meriweather as much or more than they would pay Mankins who is a special player at his position even if it isn't a highly valued position.

Also, don't be surprised if Meriweather is playing for another team in 2011, not having to wait til 2012. I am sure the shooting incident rubbed Belichick and Kraft the wrong way even if he wasn't the one doing the shooting. I am sure Meriweather's admitted insubordination of ignoring the coaches and doing what he wanted on the field also didn't win Belichick over either. Being in the last year of his contract and a two time Pro Bowler, someone might give up a lot for Meriweather based on his reputation over his production. There have been some rumors the Pats may shop him.

I really doubt he will be here next year. The Patriots are not going to pay top dollar for an average player.

Well your whole argument is based off your opinion on Merri's play. Neither of us know what Bill thinks but I'd bet the majority of the time Bill's opinion is closer to that of other NFL coaches than a message board poster.

I also wouldn't be shocked if we traded Merri before the season began but I think the chances of it happening are low. We already have some extra picks for next year and the secondary is very young. Instead of gaining an extra pick Bill may decided he wants a better shot a ring next year and then let Merri walk for nothing (if we really don't intended to keep Merri).

I don't think a 3rd is enough compensation for the downgrade in play that would occur in our defense. If we could get a 1st I think Bill pulls the trigger with out hesitation but a team probably wouldn't do that knowing they have to dish out a big contract on top of the pick.

With two Pro Bowl appearances, he is going to want to be paid like a top safety. He is not a top safety. I agree he is above average, but not much above average because he has too much Tebucky Jones in him (playing stupid and making the wrong breaks on the ball).

With his incident this offseason and his price demands probably being in top 3-5 safety money, I seriously doubt he will be here in 2012. He could surprise and take a deep hometown discount, but he is just an above average saftey and not worth elite or top safety money.

As him leaving not making the team better, it depends. If the Pats have to overpay for him and neglect another position because of it, then him staying could hurt the team. If Dowling or someone else steps up and becomes an above average safety, his loss will be minimal.

You've hit on a lot of the issues that I think are going to be a factor. His issues in college had him on thin ice from the start and he's been less than a model citizen. Belichick values on-field production but off field distractions are not welcome by this coach.

The amount of attention that Belichick has given to the secondary might not bode well for him - though I think it's never a bad idea to secure good DBs in the draft.

There's a lot of guys on the team with the potential to step up - and if they do so that could make Meriweather a tradeable commodity with a team that needs help but would want to give him a year in a new environment before making him a contract offer for 2012 and beyond.

Belichick's view is more important than mine, but if I had to guess today, I'd say he'd not be back in 2012 - which makes a trade when the lockout is over that much more plausible - either for a draft pick (3rd round?) or more plausibly another player with questions at a position of need for the Pats (LB? WR?)

I'd like to go on record as saying that - Polomaulu is very overrated. No doubt about it, just watch him.
That is all I wanted to say.

I don't know if overrated is the right word for Troy, I think it has more to do with media almost never choosing to criticize him. He gets lit up (2010 Brady & Rodgers) but most people just turn their head or don't even notice the mistakes. That being said, he's still great.

Last edited:
I don't know if overrated is the right word for Troy, I think it has more to do with media almost never choosing to criticize him. He gets lit up (2010 Brady & Rodgers) but most people just turn their head or don't even notice the mistakes. That being said, he's still great.

I think he's a poor tackler, and I can't stand safties who can't tackle. His tackling in the post- season was sad.

Well your whole argument is based off your opinion on Merri's play. Neither of us know what Bill thinks but I'd bet the majority of the time Bill's opinion is closer to that of other NFL coaches than a message board poster.

I also wouldn't be shocked if we traded Merri before the season began but I think the chances of it happening are low. We already have some extra picks for next year and the secondary is very young. Instead of gaining an extra pick Bill may decided he wants a better shot a ring next year and then let Merri walk for nothing (if we really don't intended to keep Merri).

I don't think a 3rd is enough compensation for the downgrade in play that would occur in our defense. If we could get a 1st I think Bill pulls the trigger with out hesitation but a team probably wouldn't do that knowing they have to dish out a big contract on top of the pick.

My opinion isn't far off from your opinion. He is above average, but not a top safety. So if most of the people on this board agree with that opinion, maybe my opinion is fairly on the money on how he actually plays.

Also, what if Belichick has a lower opinion of him than I have of him. His playing time last year isn't a great indication of he felt about him based on the fact that position was depleted due to injuries (McGowan IRed, Page missing most of the season, Chung hurt for a stretch, I think Sanders was hurt for a time too).

Also, who said that the Pats would downgrade getting rid of him? Maybe Belichick is confident that Page could take over or resigning McGowan or another free agent is a lateral move.

I am not as down on Meriweather as it sounds. I just think he is just above average and likely looking for elite money or close to it. I think he will be gone after this season because of it. I think he could be gone before this season if he gets the right offer. I don't see him in the long term plans for this team. I also think he is overrated because I don't think he earned either Pro Bowl bearth (although he was more worthy in 2009).

My opinion isn't far off from your opinion. He is above average, but not a top safety. So if most of the people on this board agree with that opinion, maybe my opinion is fairly on the money on how he actually plays.

Also, what if Belichick has a lower opinion of him than I have of him. His playing time last year isn't a great indication of he felt about him based on the fact that position was depleted due to injuries (McGowan IRed, Page missing most of the season, Chung hurt for a stretch, I think Sanders was hurt for a time too).

Also, who said that the Pats would downgrade getting rid of him? Maybe Belichick is confident that Page could take over or resigning McGowan or another free agent is a lateral move.

I am not as down on Meriweather as it sounds. I just think he is just above average and likely looking for elite money or close to it. I think he will be gone after this season because of it. I think he could be gone before this season if he gets the right offer. I don't see him in the long term plans for this team. I also think he is overrated because I don't think he earned either Pro Bowl bearth (although he was more worthy in 2009).

He's too high risk-high reward for my liking. Safeties are just that, they're there so you're safe. Not to be running around trying to intercept passes on every play or trying to kill somebody. Chung is much more disciplined and has a better overall skill set.

I think he's a poor tackler, and I can't stand safties who can't tackle. His tackling in the post- season was sad.

That may be true, but it's hard to overlook the impact he has on Pittsburgh's defense. They seem to go from average to best in the league with his presence. Although, it looks like his years of recklessness are starting to take their toll on his body. I think he was starting to wear down this post season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back