PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prisco - After Further Review: Only a matter of time before Pats offense clicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
The video shows him at least 5 yards away from the defenders initially. The video shows that he has to stretch out to make the catch. It was a poor throw to a wide open receiver that made it a much harder ball to catch than it needed to be. Sorry.

The video shows that you don't know what a poor throw is.

The video shows him at least 5 yards away from the defenders initially. The video shows that he has to stretch out to make the catch. It was a poor throw to a wide open receiver that made it a much harder ball to catch than it needed to be. Sorry.

What you keep calling "stretching out" is what the rest of us call "using your arms."

You're sayin that because the throw wasn't absolutely perfect, it was a bad throw, and Dobson would have had to make an exceptional catch. That's wrong.

But I'm tired of arguing this. Next time he should just catch it and save us all the grief.

Somewhat along the lines of this discussion comes a Volin article which is more worth reading:

Expectations should be held in check with Patriots rookie receivers - Sports - The Boston Globe

Some valuable pull quotes...

“I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it’s hard for a guy to just come in right away and pick up where they left off in college,” Patriots cornerback Kyle Arrington said. “The game is a little faster — not physically, but mentally.

Dobson said he’s not bothered by Brady’s emotional outburst.

“Him getting emotional or us getting into it maybe is just going to happen,” Dobson said. “But you just got to take it as a learning experience, move on from it. It happens all the time, but off the field it’s way different, just talking and getting on the same page.”

Brady, perhaps realizing that his outburst put too much negative focus on his rookie receivers, has put more of the onus on himself since Thursday night. But he reiterated Wednesday that the Patriots don’t have time to wait for the rookies to get up to speed.

“I think there’s a real urgency to what we do here,” he said. “This is not tiddlywinks, this is real football, and this is a real job, and we’re held accountable every single day for what we do every single day.”

There's more good stuff in there about both this year's WRs and WRs in general.

Are you setting the conditions that the receivers are in a 3-foot radius rainstorm, but the QB is throwing in dry conditions? Because that's the only way that a driving rain wouldn't make throwing the ball even harder, too.

Yeah, because throwing a ball up in the air in a rainstorm while standing still is exactly as difficult as catching a ball that is coming down in a driving rainstorm while in full stride.........;)

One is looking ahead, the other is looking back and up in the air.

Look, you obviously have your opinion on it and I have a different one.

Last edited:
Except that he's clearly wrong in at least one of his three examples.

Didn't even read it. Just commenting on his basic premise.

Actually, at the time that Tom threw the ball, it looked like he would need to get it over the safety as well, but Dobson put on a nice move to create a little more space. It was overthrown a tad, but it was reasonably overthrown and still should have been caught.

There was no reason to overthrow it at all. Plus if he throws it to the outside it make it even easier for him to catch and run with it. I think its reasonable to expect Dobson to have caught the ball. I think it is even more reasonable to have expected Brady to make a better throw.

Yeah, because throwing a ball up in the air in a rainstorm while standing still is exactly as difficult as catching a ball that is coming down in a driving rainstorm while in full stride.........;)

One is looking ahead, the other is looking back and up in the air.

Look, you obviously have your opinion on it and I have a different one.

Throwing it? Throwing it is easy. My kid could throw it in the rain. Throwing it accurately downfield is the hard part.

But I do enjoy how you take every other variable out (moving in the pocket, rushers, anticipating where the receiver is going to be, the rain). "Throwing a ball up in the air while standing still" is all there is to it.

What you keep calling "stretching out" is what the rest of us call "using your arms."

You're sayin that because the throw wasn't absolutely perfect, it was a bad throw, and Dobson would have had to make an exceptional catch. That's wrong.

But I'm tired of arguing this. Next time he should just catch it and save us all the grief.

I think fully extending your arms is the definition of stretching out. I wouldn't know what else to call it. I know you said you looked at the video but I don't believe it otherwise I don't know how you can claim that he didn't have to stretch out for the ball.

I guess I shouldn't believe my lying eyes and the video that shows Brady missing his wide open receiver.

Didn't even read it. Just commenting on his basic premise.

You should. For a Prisco article, he's pretty well written and has All-22 photographs to break down. As has been mentioned, he's essentially wrong in some of his premises (particularly pertaining to Brady), but it's still an interesting read.

I think fully extending your arms is the definition of stretching out. I wouldn't know what else to call it. I know you said you looked at the video but I don't believe it otherwise I don't know how you can claim that he didn't have to stretch out for the ball.

I guess I shouldn't believe my lying eyes and the video that shows Brady missing his wide open receiver.

This dude would've caught it. Look at him stretching out!

images

Pete Prisco writing pro-patriots article :eek: he used to be a big manning era colts ball washer. what happened now, did he not know that manning is playing in denver or may be manning refused to give one of those free pizza :rolleyes:

While your facts are wrong, lets pretend they were correct.
If Dobson had 5 yards on the defender, but by the time the ball arrived he only had 2, and hehad to reach for an overthrown pass, it means he slowed down and misjudged the ball.
Even if you were right, you are wrong.

A more in-depth look at Kenbrell's game against the Jets here

Vastly superior to Prisco's "analysis."

EDIT: Whoops, meant to quote tart's post.

A more in-depth look at Kenbrell's game against the Jets here

Nice breakdown.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about our young wideouts. It's not a question of if they can get open. I think it's just a question of of them and Brady being on the same page. They obviously weren't in the Jets game. But, seeing a receiver with seperation running down the field was a welcome change of pace.

You know what's nice?

When the offense does start clicking, it's very possible BB will keep the offense on the field as much as possible to get the rookies experience.

That means going for TDs when we're already up more than a few scores.

While your facts are wrong, lets pretend they were correct.
If Dobson had 5 yards on the defender, but by the time the ball arrived he only had 2, and hehad to reach for an overthrown pass, it means he slowed down and misjudged the ball.
Even if you were right, you are wrong.

As I mentioned the ball was thrown to the inside when it should have been thrown to the outside. The defenders had the angle which allowed them to close the gap. Its clear on the video and was even more clear watching it live at the stadium.

As I mentioned the ball was thrown to the inside when it should have been thrown to the outside. The defenders had the angle which allowed them to close the gap. Its clear on the video and was even more clear watching it live at the stadium.

Doesn't matter. When its in your radius of catching, your paid to catch the ball. You know how hard it is even for Tom to be 100% accurate. It's pretty much impossible. Some deep routes require the wr to adjust a little. And as Andy pointed, Dobson could have slowed down a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back