PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prisco - After Further Review: Only a matter of time before Pats offense clicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was WIDE OPEN. There was absolutely no reason why he should need to extend for the ball nevermind have to make a fingertip catch on the back end of the ball. Was it catchable? Sure, although it would have been a hell of a catch. Was it a good throw? Hell no.

That pic of dobson reminds me of reche caldwell.

Here's all anyone really needs to read to understand just how moronic it is to take this article (and Prisco) seriously:

Dobson blows the read and it's still Brady's fault. That's Pete Prisco.

I agree with your point that Dobson blew the read, but couldn't Brady adjust and pass it to Edleman, who was free? After all, hasn't Brady got the same criticism when Moss played and Brady ignored (or missed?) open receivers?

At least that's how I am reading that portion you highlighted (apologies, I didn't read the full article).

He was WIDE OPEN. There was absolutely no reason why he should need to extend for the ball nevermind have to make a fingertip catch on the back end of the ball. Was it catchable? Sure, although it would have been a hell of a catch. Was it a good throw? Hell no.

He didn't have to make a fingertip catch. I'm pretty sure that's after he bobbled it the first time.

And a receiver shouldn't need to extend for the ball, otherwise it's a bad throw? Really?

This wouldn't have been a "hell of a catch." It would have been a catch that NFL receivers routinely make. I think Dobson's going to be a very good to great receiver. But this was a bad drop. Trying to pin it on Brady because Dobson had to extend is ridiculous.

Hell, even Dobson was talking about his drops.

He didn't have to make a fingertip catch. I'm pretty sure that's after he bobbled it the first time.

And a receiver shouldn't need to extend for the ball, otherwise it's a bad throw? Really?

This wouldn't have been a "hell of a catch." It would have been a catch that NFL receivers routinely make. I think Dobson's going to be a very good to great receiver. But this was a bad drop. Trying to pin it on Brady because Dobson had to extend is ridiculous.

Hell, even Dobson was talking about his drops.

Watch the video. It wasn't after he bobbled it initially. That is a still from when he initially touched the ball. He ended up pulling it in from there but then couldn't secure it. Brady had all the time in the world and Dobson didn't have a defender within five yards of him. In that situation he should be able to put enough air underneath it to allow Dobson to easily catch it in stride which he didn't.

Are you setting the conditions that the receivers are in a 3-foot radius rainstorm, but the QB is throwing in dry conditions? Because that's the only way that a driving rain wouldn't make throwing the ball even harder, too.

I believe Brady's 3 button belted trench coat with flair collar keeps him dry and comfortable in all conditions. He is..... Tom Brady

Watch the video. It wasn't after he bobbled it initially. That is a still from when he initially touched the ball. He ended up pulling it in from there but then couldn't secure it. Brady had all the time in the world and Dobson didn't have a defender within five yards of him. In that situation he should be able to put enough air underneath it to allow Dobson to easily catch it in stride which he didn't.

Was Brady's throw end-over-end? Because that's the only way the ball could have landed like that on first touch.

And I'm pretty sure this is a lot less than five yards:

Dobson2_original.png

Was Brady's throw end-over-end? Because that's the only way the ball could have landed like that on first touch.

And I'm pretty sure this is a lot less than five yards:

Dobson2_original.png

Just watch the video the stills are pointless.

This thread sure did grow a mind of it's own. Really, the only thing that I could personally fault Brady for is not waiting for Edelman to complete his underneath route. The pass rush wasn't swarming him on that play. That said, I can still see what he was thinking going with Dobson. Dobson was running a route with a quicker release and an easier path to the end zone. Other than that, I thought his long throws were pretty much on point in particular.

Just watch the video the stills are pointless.

I've seen the video 15 times. It doesn't all of a sudden show Dobson magically twice as far ahead of the defenders. It doesn't show him stretching out to make a miracle catch. It shows the ball hitting him on the hands and him not handling it.

It's a drop, and an obvious one. It was scored a drop. He knows it was a drop. I have no idea why you're fighting so hard to prove that it was an errant throw by Brady.

There is a silver lining here...

1. In the absence of Welker, Brady is forced to spread the ball around like he was so good at earlier in his career.

2. The rooks will get their touches and seem talented and intelligent enough to grasp the system.

3. All this while winning games in the soft part of the schedule.

There is a silver lining here...

1. In the absence of Welker, Brady is forced to spread the ball around like he was so good at earlier in his career.

At one point in the AFCCG, Brady had completely 12 passes to 3 different receivers. If Gronk would have been there, that would have given him 4. This notion that Brady doesn't spread the ball around anymore has been proven false time and again.

Fixed your post

Yes the photo of the ball on his fingers totally destroys my argument that it was a catch he had to make with his fingers. Awesome!

Yes the photo of the ball on his fingers totally destroys my argument that it was a catch he had to make with his fingers. Awesome!

It's on his fingers like that because he mishandled it. Unless you're willing to argue that the throw landed on Dobson's hands pointing forward like that. Like I said, the throw would have to be end-over-end going forward.

Actually, at the time that Tom threw the ball, it looked like he would need to get it over the safety as well, but Dobson put on a nice move to create a little more space. It was overthrown a tad, but it was reasonably overthrown and still should have been caught.

Exactly, which is why it is surprising he might finally be right about something. ;)

Except that he's clearly wrong in at least one of his three examples.

I've seen the video 15 times. It doesn't all of a sudden show Dobson magically twice as far ahead of the defenders. It doesn't show him stretching out to make a miracle catch. It shows the ball hitting him on the hands and him not handling it.

It's a drop, and an obvious one. It was scored a drop. He knows it was a drop. I have no idea why you're fighting so hard to prove that it was an errant throw by Brady.

The video shows him at least 5 yards away from the defenders initially. The video shows that he has to stretch out to make the catch. It was a poor throw to a wide open receiver that made it a much harder ball to catch than it needed to be. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back