PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prediction: The Pats' Pass Defense is About to Go From Terrible to Very Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the thing: if you play good coverage and get good pressure, you will force some errant throws, force some rushed throws, and force throws into tight windows. Those will result in drops, missed throws, and turnovers. If, OTOH, you play soft coverage and don't get pressure, you will get shredded.

Sure, Schaub probably missed a couple of throws that he should have made, and had some drops that should have been made. But he was under pressure a lot, and had his rhythm thrown off a lot. He got frustrated. He pressed and tried to do too much. Those kind of things will force mistakes. And it all starts with having decent coverage.

That's true, and most likely the case for any QB not named Brady/Peyton/Rodgers/Brees. I noticed a nice little pattern with the D since the Talib trade, here's our points against in those games:

31 (without Talib in the lineup)
24 (most of their damage came in the 1st quarter then buckled down)

So by the SB we should hopefully be getting a shutout :cool:

There's no doubt that this secondary is the obvious key to allowing much more one on one coverage and physicality in the passing game.

I only hope that the injuries to Talib (didn't look "that" bad), and Arrington (God, that was stupid by Francis--jumping over that pile of players) are not too bad, or those are huge blows to what we can do moving forward.

That's true, and most likely the case for any QB not named Brady/Peyton/Rodgers/Brees. I noticed a nice little pattern with the D since the Talib trade, here's our points against in those games:

31 (without Talib in the lineup)
24 (most of their damage came in the 1st quarter then buckled down)

So by the SB we should hopefully be getting a shutout :cool:

The Pats are averaging 18.25 PPG over the past 4 games, which would rank 4th in the NFL this year if it were projected over the full season. They're averaging 253.5 YPG passing over those 4 games, which would rank 26th but which is starting to get down to reasonable numbers. It's 199 YPG passing over the past 2 games.

If you look at total points allowed this year, the Pats have pretty much come back to the pack: NE 274, Baltimore 273, Houston 263, Denver 257, Pittsburgh 264, NY Giants 270. We're not a bad defense.

Okay, I'm sold.

Okay, I'm sold.

Now that they're getting decent, don't be surprised if there are a few bumps in the road, especially if there are injuries. But I expect that things will generally get better. We're still a player or two away from being where I'd like, but I think we're out of the danger zone as long as we have McCourty at FS and Talib/Dennard at CB.

Two things have changed since the start of the season, in terms of improving the secondary.

1. Dennard has developed enough to play the WR2 in press man
  2. Talib's arrival has given the team someone who can play the WR1 in press man

That has allowed the team to be much more aggressive in the front seven when it comes to passing downs and, since the run stopping ability of Wilfork, Love, Mayo and Spikes has allowed the team to go with two "cover" safeties (McCourty and Gregory), the back end of the defense is now legitimate for the first time since 2007. They need Talib healthy but, if he is, they'll keep getting better, and they should be able to handle most opponents' passing games moving forward.

And, as a tangent, I hope BB is looking long and hard at Talib's attitude and ability to fit in with the team. If the guy can adapt to the locker room and keep his nose clean, he'll be a definite target for re-signing in the offseason.

Last edited:
Two things have changed since the start of the season, in terms of improving the secondary.

1. Dennard has developed enough to play the WR2 in press man
  2. Talib's arrival has given the team someone who can play the WR1 in press man

That, combined with the run stopping ability of Wilfork, Love, Mayo and Spikes, has allowed the team to go with two "cover" safeties, in McCourty and Gregory and, for the first time since 2007, the back end of the defense is now legitimate. They need Talib healthy but, if he is, they'll keep getting better, and they should be able to handle most opponents' passing games moving forward.

And, as a tangent, I hope BB is looking long and hard at Talib's attitude and ability to fit in with the team. If the guy can adapt to the locker room and keep his nose clean, he'll be a definite target for re-signing in the offseason.

I would say more than 2 things: the move of McCourty to FS has been as important as the emergence of Talib and Dennard. And moving to two "cover" safeties has been a significant change, as you note.

As for Talib, all signs seem to be that he is fitting in nicely. He gets high marks from McCourty and the other Pats defenders in terms of his work ethic and attitude. FWIW, Reiss recently had this little tidbit:

A brief behind-the-scenes story from the Patriots locker room: I approached cornerback Aqib Talib last week about the possibility of being featured in our weekly "football journey" series, and he respectfully declined. He said the reason was that he wanted anything he said to be about the team, and not himself.

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

That's reasonably encouraging, though of course, BB will have to monitor the situation closely, as you suggest.

I would say more than 2 things: the move of McCourty to FS has been as important as the emergence of Talib and Dennard.

I think we agree here, and we're just labeling it differently. I don't look at your take about McCourty as a different thing as much as a by-product of the first two. If Talib's not there, or Dennard's not capable, McCourty's still a cornerback.

And moving to two "cover" safeties has been a significant change, as you note.

Yeah... I'm not thrilled with Gregory, but Wilson and Chung were playing horrible ball. I wanted to go with Wilson to see whether he'd "get" it with more time, but the change to more coverage in the safety spot looks as if it was the smarter play.

As for Talib, all signs seem to be that he is fitting in nicely. He gets high marks from McCourty and the other Pats defenders in terms of his work ethic and attitude. FWIW, Reiss recently had this little tidbit:

Considering how far he'd fallen in Tampa, that's great news.

Dennard is definitely the steal of this years draft. Great looking young player.

I hope BB is looking long and hard at Talib's attitude and ability to fit in with the team. If the guy can adapt to the locker room and keep his nose clean, he'll be a definite target for re-signing in the offseason.

BB gave a pretty strong (for him) shout out to Talib during his Q&A today:

Q: What did you think of the performance that Aqib Talib had before he went down? What went into the decision to have him shadow Andre Johnson? Can you think of any other guys you’ve used to shadow a receiver? Usually you like to keep players on one side?

BB: “I thought Aqib did a good job. I think he’s done a good job for us. He works hard. I really like him; I like the way he prepares. I like the way he competes. He really did a good job for us on punt return too. We singled him up out there and he did a nice job on that. As far as the matchups go, we’ve done that from time to time. It depends on what the matchups are, what the game plan is. We can do it or we can not do it; I don’t think it’s that big of a thing.”

It Is What It Is » Bill Belichick: Niners defense ‘really impressive’

That seems like unusually strong stuff to me coming from BB about a guy who has only played 4 games for the Pats.

The defense has found a identity :eek:
The one thing that really bothers me is how confident bill is with leaving talib and Dennard to cover ta teams best receivers.

It may be because they're new to the team, but i just don't trust them yet with out double coverage.

Talib is playing way better than he did on the bucs.

Last edited:
Clinic....I gotta say, you were spot-on!

When you first posted this, I just thought, "Whatever...another NFL internet genius!":rolleyes:

So you proved all the doubters wrong...me among them!

Nice job!

So far through 8 games the Pats' overall defense has been somewhere between mediocre to respectable, ranking 12th in points allowed (averaging 21.3 PPG) and 23rd in total yardage . The run defense has been outstanding, ranking first in least YPA (3.5) and 8th in YPG (88.6). And they rank 3rd in the NFL (and 1st in the AFC) with 20 takeaways (11 fumble recoveries, 9 INTs).

The pass defense has been another story. The Pats rank 28th in passing YPG (281), and in yards per attempt (8.0). They rank 27th in opposing QB rating, allowing an average rating of 96.8. The 17 passing TDs which they've given up is tied for 2nd worst in the league. And they rank 23rd in opponent 3rd down conversion rate (43%). By all measures our secondary play has been poor. And what we've witnessed is commensurate with what the numbers suggest.

I think that's about to change. Recent history has shown that teams can go from having poor pass defenses to very good ones in a very short time. The 2010 San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks were among the worst pass defenses in the league, and the 2010 Houston Texans set records for the most passing yardage allowed. All 3 teams were markedly better in 2011, and are among the best in the league this year. And I think there's a good chance that we're about to be the next team to make that switch.

There are 4 reasons why I think things are about to change:

1. Upgrades in personnel. The Pats' secondary has been paper thin. Pat Chung and Steve Gregory have been out. Ras-I Dowling was banged up before going on IR. Kyle Arrington has been hobbled. Things seem to finally be improving. Gregory was almost back for the Rams game, so he should be back after the bye week. Hopefully Chung will be back, and some time off will benefit Arrington. Alfonzo Dennard has just begun to emerge over the past few weeks as a bona fide starting CB. And the acquisition of Aqib Talib immediately upgrades our personnel at CB by a considerable margin.

2. Devin McCourty as the deep FS. McCourty has played FS for the past 2 games, and BB has noted that the deep protection was improved from previous weeks. The Pats haven't had a FS with deep cover skills since Brandon Meriweather was cut, and Meriweather lacked the discipline and selflessness to play that role well. McCourty in man coverage is a liability. McCourty patrolling the deep part of the field with everything in front of him and making sure nothing gets by could be an Earl Thomas kind of anchor for the secondary, allowing the CBs to play more man-press and the front 7 to attack more aggressively. It may take a few games for McCourty to make the adjustment, but by the end of the season I think we'll see a huge difference in big pass plays and long 3rd down completions. I personally think that BB's comments plus the acquisition of Aqib Talib is a clear sign that DMac will stay at FS. The position is too important, and no one else has the skills to handle it.

3. Coherence in the secondary. For years now it seems like the secondary has lacked cohesiveness, coherence and communication. Having DMac as the deep safety and captain of the secondary should help. He will play the same kind of role that Jerod Mayo plays for the front 7. In addition, having 2 CBs who are suited to playing press-man coverage will allow the secondary to have a coherent approach for the first time in a long time. It seems like the secondary has been too busy applying band-aids to put 4-5 guys on the field to have any consistency or coherence. Remember last year when the safeties seemed to change every quarter? With 2 outside CBs who can play press-man and a solid deep cover FS, the coaching staff can mix and match with the other parts, using Chung, Wilson, Gregory, Arrington and Cole as the situation dictates, without giving up basic defensive coherence or cohesion.

4. Synergy with the front 7. Houston's secondary improved from 2010 to 2011 in part because of the acquisition of CB Jonathan Joseph, who provided a huge upgrade. But without a doubt the addition of JJ Watt and Brooks Reed and the return of Connor Barwin made at least as much difference. It's hard to play an aggressive defense when the secondary is getting strafed, and it's hard for any secondary to hold up in the NFL when there's no pressure on opposing QBs. If the deep safety coverage is reliable it will allow the CBs to play press-man and bump opposing receivers off their routes, knowing that someone has their back if their man gets past them. That allows the front 7 to attack more aggressively, generate more pressure, and create more disruption.

Theoretically, it should all come together. Of course, it never works exactly the way it should in theory. I'm sure there will be some bumps on the way. But I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that we'll see significant improvement in the pass defense over the next 8 games, so that by the end of the regular season it is almost unrecognizable from what we saw against Seattle, Baltimore, or the Jets earlier this season. I certainly hope so. I'm not worried about making it to the playoffs with what we've had up to now, but making it through without a significantly improved pass defense would have required an awful lot of luck.

Clinic....I gotta say, you were spot-on!

When you first posted this, I just thought, "Whatever...another NFL internet genius!":rolleyes:

So you proved all the doubters wrong...me among them!

Nice job!

Thank you ... proof that if you make enough predictions, one is bound to be right. It's likes going for the long bomb over and over again.

BB gave a pretty strong (for him) shout out to Talib during his Q&A today:

It Is What It Is » Bill Belichick: Niners defense ‘really impressive’

That seems like unusually strong stuff to me coming from BB about a guy who has only played 4 games for the Pats.

More on BB's use of Aqib Talib to shadow Andre Johnson in the Houston game:

Aqib Talib casts big shadow - BostonHerald.com

It's impressive how much confidence BB has developed in Talib in a short time. For comparison, how about this:

This was a change of direction from Belichick’s typical strategy. He used to tell Ty Law to erase a receiver from the field, but aside from that, the instances of a shadow corner have been rare.

The Pats don't really play anyone down the stretch with a receiving threat worthy of using that approach. SF, Jacksonville and Miami don't scare anyone with their receivers. But it could be interesting in the playoffs.

The Pats are also very close to being top 10 or better in Pts given up per game, I think they can do it.

So for me the Jacksonville game so far is the exception that proves the rule. Take Dennard and Talib out, move McCourty back to CB, put Chung and Gregory as the safeties ... and we are getting absolutely shredded by Chad Henne. It's pitiful.

It doesn't work. The coaching staff should know better. I know we're banged up, but it's been proven that it doesn't work.

We need to keep McCourty at FS. Stop moving him back to CB. Get Chung off the field at all costs.

This game should serve as an absolute guideline for the offseason. We need to build around Talib-Dennard at CB and McCourty at FS. Otherwise we should scrap the entire secondary and start all over.

So for me the Jacksonville game so far is the exception that proves the rule. Take Dennard and Talib out, move McCourty back to CB, put Chung and Gregory as the safeties ... and we are getting absolutely shredded by Chad Henne. It's pitiful.

It doesn't work. The coaching staff should know better. I know we're banged up, but it's been proven that it doesn't work.

We need to keep McCourty at FS. Stop moving him back to CB. Get Chung off the field at all costs.

This game should serve as an absolute guideline for the offseason. We need to build around Talib-Dennard at CB and McCourty at FS. Otherwise we should scrap the entire secondary and start all over.
Except McCourty is playing well AGAIN at corner.
We really should get 2 new safeties and play Talib and Mccourty at corner, and if the safeties can play we will have a terrific secondary.

Reminded why Chung is woefully inadequate.. some big hits, but overall poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back