PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prediction: The Pats' Pass Defense is About to Go From Terrible to Very Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Revis wouldn't show up for his own team after his contract was up coming off an arc championship appearance. I see no reason. Why this one will be any different. His knee be dammed he will look for the big pay day once again.

Not sure there's any way at all to afford him.

On the bright side, Vollmer's back makes it likely we can resign him

Not sure there's any way at all to afford him.

On the bright side, Vollmer's back makes it likely we can resign him

You mean since he's gimpy his value will be lessened?

Is it me or did the LBs look better in coverage today? Even Spikes.

Can't it be both?

Obviously Tannehill wasn't impressive today, and the Dolphins don't gave the greatest receiving crew. There were some dropped balls, and some missed open throws. But the Pats also had some dropped balls and some missed open throws.

The Pats' D held the Dolphins to 16 points, 15 1st downs, 7 passing 1st downs, 3/13 3rd down conversions, 45% pass completion rate, 186 yards passing, and 0 passing TDs. No matter how bad Tannehill was, it's hard not to view that as an improvement over the pass defense of the first 9 weeks.

From Reiss' notebook:

Q. I don't know what Bill Belichick has done to the secondary over the past few games, but he needs to keep it up. Steve Gregory is proving to be a better safety than what New England had in all of 2011. We've been critical of Kyle Arrington this season, but he's still an excellent run defender. The issue may have been covering on the outside receivers as opposed to slot receivers where he's best suited. He kept Davone Bess in check on Sunday. Devin McCourty has improved at cornerback from 2011, but at the moment he should stay at safety. The long plays have been kept at a minimum since the transition. The tandem of Aqib Talib and Alfonzo Dennard allows Belichick to play more physical on outside receivers. Granted everyone stays healthy, this could be a sign of the secondary turning the corner at the right time. At the moment, could you see a better combination in the secondary? Is it likely that this group is capable to allow the Patriots to be more aggressive in the defensive play calling? -- Alvin (Amherst, Mass.)

A. Alvin, the statistics support the thought that with more stability in the secondary, it has allowed the coaching staff to be more aggressive. Before the Patriots acquired Talib on Nov. 1 from the Buccaneers, they rushed five or more defenders a league-low 15 percent of the time, according to ESPN Stats & Information tracking. With Talib, the number of rushes with five or more defenders has spiked to 28.3 percent. They've been better, although there are still some issues to address (e.g. play-action pass from Ryan Tannehill to Brian Hartline that should have been a TD after Steve Gregory appeared to bite on play-action). Specific to Arrington, I think it's an interesting topic because it appears to be a "less is more" type situation. Given the opportunity to focus solely on slot duties, he's playing the best he has all season.

Q. Mike, the returns on Talib appear to be mixed for the most part, but I'd argue that his arrival DID actually mean a whole lot to this defense -- primarily because it allowed McCourty to stabilize the safety position. Maybe it isn't "Talib Island" at the CB position, but him and Dennard have held their own, allowing McCourty to play a position he appears to be better suited for. Mix in a healthy Gregory and this pass defense is starting took look halfway decent. Do you agree? -- Zack (Boston)

A. Yes, Zack, I do agree. We've seen some spotty cornerback play over the years from the Patriots (Duane Starks comes to mind) and Talib is closer to the good side of the ledger than most. Not in Ty Law territory, but better than what they've had in recent years. I think the point of how his presence has had a positive trickle-down effect on others (e.g. McCourty to safety, Kyle Arrington to slot) is a good one.

Q. Mike, not to kick Patrick Chung while he's down, but if he's not a starting safety should he be on the field at all? Coverage is his weakness and it doesn't seem to make sense to have him on the field in obvious passing situations. Do you think he will be phased out as the season progresses? -- Dean (Taunton, Mass.)

A. Dean, I was surprised watching the way Sunday's game unfolded to see that Chung wasn't part of the base, nickel or dime defenses. Even rookie Tavon Wilson was ahead of him on the initial depth chart, coming on in the dime. When I saw that, it really made me question Chung's present and future with the team. But the main reason I wouldn't write him off is what happened in the third quarter. When Dolphins fullback Charles Clay caught a 20-yard pass on third-and-8, with Tavon Wilson closest in coverage, the coaching staff made an in-game personnel switch with Chung replacing Wilson. So I think that reflects that he still has some value to the team, even though it's been a hard fall for him from 2009 second-round pick/starter to trying to carve out a role in his fourth season while battling injuries once again. Also, as Tedy Bruschi opined in his Monday chat, if Steve Gregory has another breakdown in "taking the cheese" on play action like he did against the Dolphins, it could accelerate Chung's return to the field.

New England Patriots Mailbag -- No celebrating just yet for AFC East champs - ESPN Boston

Matt Schaub and the Texans will be a good test for how far the secondary has improved. Andre Johnson is a big time deep threat, the RBs and TEs pose matchup problems, and the Texans rely extensively on play action, which has been a huge problem so far. If the secondary shows well against the Texans, it will be a big step forward.

From Reiss' notebook:

New England Patriots Mailbag -- No celebrating just yet for AFC East champs - ESPN Boston

Matt Schaub and the Texans will be a good test for how far the secondary has improved. Andre Johnson is a big time deep threat, the RBs and TEs pose matchup problems, and the Texans rely extensively on play action, which has been a huge problem so far. If the secondary shows well against the Texans, it will be a big step forward.

Thanks for the update.

Given the O's ability to put up points, you can put me down as someone who will be happy if the "Pats' Pass Defense" can just get from "terrible" to "OK." To that end, I agree that Houston will be a good test!

Last edited:
From Reiss' notebook:

We've certainly been seeing fewer "Fire the secondary coaches!" posts and threads, so that's been another positive.

Last edited:
Tedy Bruschi agrees that Houston will be the test:

Q. Hi Tedy, I am very pleased by the recent progress of the Patriots secondary. Alfonzo Dennard seems very solid as a No. 2 outside guy, and Kyle Arrington looks much better in the slot. Do you think this is enough to make them a championship defense? -- Keith (Wakefield, R.I.)

A. Keith, the defensive backfield is coming along, but I still see problems. In the first quarter of the Dolphins game, 5:38 left, once again it was a deep play-action pass to a wide-open wide receiver. Ryan Tannehill just happened to overthrow Brian Hartline, but Steve Gregory took the bait again. Let's hope he learns not to "take the cheese" in the future. That's an old saying we had in the locker room -- "don't take the cheese."

Q. Hi Tedy. Your thoughts on the decline of playing time for Patrick Chung? He seemed to be such an up-and-coming player a couple of years ago. Is it the injury bug, or did he simply not improve? Bad coaching? Your thoughts? -- Rick (home)

A. Let's not totally close the door on Patrick Chung just yet. If Steve Gregory keeps biting on play-action like he did in the first quarter when Ryan Tannehill overthrew Brian Hartline, I think we'll see Chung back in there.

Q. Teddy, I feel that the defense has improved over the past few weeks. Do you think it has improved enough to be competitive in the playoffs matched up with the likes of Denver and/or the Ravens? -- Jim (Atlantic City, N.J.)

A. With Devin McCourty now solidified at free safety and Aqib Talib holding down one corner spot, Coach Belichick and defensive coordinator Matt Patricia have less to worry about. This defense can be championship caliber.

Q. Hey Teddy, What are your thoughts on the defense? Do you really think there are improvements or is it more a product of weaker opponents? -- John (Atlanta)

A. First of all, John, it's one "d" in Tedy (LOL). Second, any questions that anyone may have about this defense will be answered Monday night.

Bruschi on Tap: New England Patriots' defense still faces biggest test. - ESPN Boston

The Pats are in great shape. They've already clinched the division. They now have 2 test "playoff" games to find out if their D is playoff ready and to tweak it. Win both, and they're probably looking at a bye. Worst case, they'll learn a lot about what needs to be adjusted for the playoffs.

Thanks for the update.

Given the O's ability to put up points, you can put me down as someone who will be happy if the "Pats' Pass Defense" can just get from "terrible" to "OK." To that end, I agree that Houston will be a good test!

I like what Bruschi said. I think they've already gone from "terrible" to "okay". Sunday they were better than okay but against a mediocre offense. Many peoplpe blamed Talib for Gregory's mistake not covering the deep field on Hartline. They will need to be better against Houston, and Gregory should be on a short leash. Even if they stumble Mon, they have several weeks to improve to "championship caliber."

I like what Bruschi said. I think they've already gone from "terrible" to "okay". Sunday they were better than okay but against a mediocre offense. Many peoplpe blamed Talib for Gregory's mistake not covering the deep field on Hartline. They will need to be better against Houston, and Gregory should be on a short leash. Even if they stumble Mon, they have several weeks to improve to "championship caliber."

I would treat the next 2 games as a "dress rehearsal" for the playoffs: playoff caliber games with the difference that if you lose you're season isn't over, but if you win you're still alive for a bye. Get the team primed for playoff level competition and intensity, and see what they're made of. It's a great opportunity.

We'll all know more in two weeks, but my point remains that the D probably doesn't have to be "championship caliber" if the O continues playing lights out.

An OK (alright, alright "OK+") Pass D is probably going to be good enough.

The next two games will speak volumes for the D's readiness for the real season... I.E. the playoffs.

I was thrilled to get Talib, Dennard was an absolute steal when he fell in the draft due to his mishap with an off-duty cop. Lastly Devin looks much more comfortable at safety with the plays in front of him. I'm encouraged.........

The next two games will speak volumes for the D's readiness for the real season... I.E. the playoffs.

OK, I'm going back out on that limb. We're ready.

The defense is playoff worthy. SB worth. The run defense is solid. The pressure is adequate. The pass defense is adequate. The turnover capability is tremendous.

The strides that this defense has made since the OP have been phenomenal. Houston is a darn good and very balanced offense, and the Pats have shut them down so far. They've contained Arian Foster, controlled Matt Schaub, not allowed any big plays, sacked Schaub twice, forced 3 punts, and created a key red zone interception that would have tied the game. And now they're up 21-0.

If the defense can play anything like this on a consistent level, we are the best team in the NFL. And it's not close.

Excellent call Mayo, Talib never needed to be and doesn't need to be a shutdown CB to have a huge effect. Of course it's been helped by Dennard stepping up at the other starting CB, but allowing McCourty to move to FS has really done wonders for the D.

We did get our share of breaks with missed throws and a couple drops so still some room for improvement (always is) but I'm more than satisfied with what I've seen since about 1 quarter into Dennard's first game with us.

Excellent call Mayo, Talib never needed to be and doesn't need to be a shutdown CB to have a huge effect. Of course it's been helped by Dennard stepping up at the other starting CB, but allowing McCourty to move to FS has really done wonders for the D.

We did get our share of breaks with missed throws and a couple drops so still some room for improvement (always is) but I'm more than satisfied with what I've seen since about 1 quarter into Dennard's first game with us.

That's RIGHT, Baby!! :rocker:

OK, I'm going back out on that limb. We're ready.

The defense is playoff worthy. SB worth. The run defense is solid. The pressure is adequate. The pass defense is adequate. The turnover capability is tremendous.

The strides that this defense has made since the OP have been phenomenal. Houston is a darn good and very balanced offense, and the Pats have shut them down so far. They've contained Arian Foster, controlled Matt Schaub, not allowed any big plays, sacked Schaub twice, forced 3 punts, and created a key red zone interception that would have tied the game. And now they're up 21-0.

If the defense can play anything like this on a consistent level, we are the best team in the NFL. And it's not close.

Again I say...

PREACH it, Brother Mayo!!!
beer.gif
:rocker:

*Cough Cough* Dominance!! * Cough Cough* :D

Here's the thing: if you play good coverage and get good pressure, you will force some errant throws, force some rushed throws, and force throws into tight windows. Those will result in drops, missed throws, and turnovers. If, OTOH, you play soft coverage and don't get pressure, you will get shredded.

Sure, Schaub probably missed a couple of throws that he should have made, and had some drops that should have been made. But he was under pressure a lot, and had his rhythm thrown off a lot. He got frustrated. He pressed and tried to do too much. Those kind of things will force mistakes. And it all starts with having decent coverage.

Really enjoyed watching the defense tonight. Wilfork was just tremendous, but the secondary was right on the ball. Arrington had a few tough situations but that seems to just be part of his game at this point - he was still competitive.

Just really gotta hope that everyone stays healthy so they can keep the momentum from this incredible win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back