PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Game Thread- Pats @ Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need Barmore... Even though the Jets don't have Breece Hall, their running game is still their strength. Need to stop the run.

I am very curious who the C will be this week.
Yeah, Barmore is a big loss.

Patricia was talking up Ferentz earlier today, so I am pretty sure he'll be in at Center this week. We all know what he is, JAG, but hopefully, he won't be too big of a liability in there and can at least hold his own most of the time.

Patricia was talking up Ferentz earlier today, so I am pretty sure he'll be in at Center this week. We all know what he is, JAG, but hopefully, he won't be too big of a liability in there and can at least hold his own most of the time.
I was wondering that about Ferentz....thanks.

Last edited:
Some good injury news:

Dugger probably won't play. You miss the days they install the game plan and odds are good you don't play. Dugger is so important to this defense that I can see Belichick making an exception for him if he is good to go. But if I was a betting man, I would put all my money on him not making the flight to NJ.

That's all true for 17 games. Mac is on track to have 21 INTs in 17 games (playing 13). He's on track to have 7 TDs. Let's just hope he reverses those numbers.

No doubt, as I said in my previous post, he needs to be better this year. My disagreement was in using his career INT numbers as some indication that he's been a turnover machine the entire time.

Mac had a 2.5% interception percentage whereas Carr was 2.2%, Herbert was 2.2%, and Allen was at 2.3%. Stafford had a higher interception percentage (2.8%) but threw 41 TDs, as did Burrow at 2.7% but threw 34 TDs. Herbert also threw 38 TDs, Allen had 36, and Carr was the only one comparable to Mac with 23 to Mac's 22 TDs.

Carr I think is somewhat comparable to Mac as he is more of a game manager type of QB but the rest of those guys are all playmakers who actively make their teams better. If Mac was making lots of plays and throwing picks I would be less skeptical of his prospects of being the long term starter here but if that Baltimore game is supposed to be Mac "playmaking" then I will pass on that. 3 picks and one rushing TD isn't going to win you many games.

Fair enough. I want him to be better too, and if this year is more of who Mac really is, there's a real problem. I just don't think we have enough sample this year (yet) to say that this is the "real" Mac Jones.

I was wondering that about Ferentz....thanks.

Boy we are in trouble facing the best part of their Team with our Worse on O and Fat Matt is smiling when talking about Ferentz. :rolleyes:

Fair enough. I want him to be better too, and if this year is more of who Mac really is, there's a real problem. I just don't think we have enough sample this year (yet) to say that this is the "real" Mac Jones.
I agree that they need to find out who Mac Jones really is. I don't know if theyre asking him to push the ball down field more or what but so far that doesn't look to be a strong suit. I think he needs the rest of the year unless things really go off the rails let Zappe play the last month if they think they can close the book on Mac.

I agree that they need to find out who Mac Jones really is. I don't know if theyre asking him to push the ball down field more or what but so far that doesn't look to be a strong suit. I think he needs the rest of the year unless things really go off the rails let Zappe play the last month if they think they can close the book on Mac.
They should be asking him to push the ball DF more. We didn't get Parker and Thornton for screen passes or check downs. He just needs to take the check down if there's nothing DF. He hasn't been doing that but rather playing hero ball. It's his decision making that is in question

I hope Dugger can play. If he actually practiced today then there's a good chance he plays.
Ferentz is worrisome in a game Mac has to be perfect. At least he has filled in recent years for a few games, and practiced all week at C, as opposed to coming in cold during a game.
Cajuste is by no means an answer, but great to have backup at T if we need it. I don't know if we can count on Cannon for a full season. But Cajuste is motivated, while Wynn seems like he stopped caring after getting moved to RT.

James Ferentz vs. Quinnen Williams?

Yikes.

He'll have very good help

iu

But what if Jones still struggles? And they decide to go with Zappe for the rest of the year. Wouldn't it be wise to see what you have in him knowing you will be in the running for a Top 10 pick? Which could be a QB again.
Yeah, but I’m not ready to give up on Mac if he struggles in his 4th real game of the year this week. And my hunch is the coaches wouldn’t be either. I’m not giving up on the first round guy that showed some good stuff for 2/3 of a season to look into the fourth rounder that had 2 good games filling in. Zappe may get his time eventually, but for now I’m still focused on evaluating Mac.

Geez... well, at least Ferentz knows the calls... he will need help physically from Onwenu and Strange. The Jets have a good inside rush. Mac's been skittish dealing with dirty pockets and it doesn't seem like it'll be any easier for him this week.

I don't understand how so many people tout that Baltimore game as some heroic performance from Mac. He threw three picks and should have thrown another. He made some plays with his feet and made some good throws but to me the bad far outweighed the good.
I think because in the “should have” game, he perhaps only should have thrown one meaningful pick.
First pick: totally on him. Bad decision.
Pick in the back of the endzone: changed the call based on coverage (quarters, not man). Parker still ran the route for the man concept and wasn’t there to make a play on the ball. Would’ve been a good shot for a td, or if not, likely an incomplete pass.
Third pick: end of the game, pushing the ball down the field down multiple scores. Protecting the ball not a priority. This one I don’t have an issue with.
Near pick on the goal line (what I’m assuming you’re referring to): Henry stopped his block abruptly, leaving the defender to undercut the throw. Unclear if the td would’ve been there, but unlikely the pick would’ve.
And the offense had a ton of success moving the ball down the field, including with aggressive downfield plays.

Patricia’s voice still blows my mind

James Ferentz vs. Quinnen Williams?

Yikes.
@JackBauer FTW.

To phrase this kindly to Ferentz, he can shut up a lot of doubters this week by keeping Mac's jersey clean (if BB indeed allows him to stay in long enough to worry about that.)

Here are good things from recent games:

- Oline: thin but effective when healthy. We need depth. But I do believe that's progress from how scary they looked early.

- At QB, we have seen glimmers from both guys. I would love for the next take to be "We knew you had that game in you all along Mac, just trust the system." Unfortunately, this week the OL might be playing catch-up to the situation.

- At WR, we should really look at these guys as constituting a corps that can play with anybody, and I for one believe that with decent QB play, we have two potential big-play guys and one of the best route-runners in football. I do believe in Bourne but right now I don't believe he'll work out in NE. Water-Under-The-Bridge style of issue.

- Running back. Are you kidding me? No complaints.

- The TEs, when used, rise to the occasion. Nobody's playing lights out, and we can all complain about how expensive they are. I think they can play like expensive TEs if someone gets them the ball.

- Add it up and it comes down to, a hot hand and a confident QB can bring them into contention. We're not our last game any more than we are the Cleveland or Detroit game. We just crapped the bed on MNF - that's not the book on this team. We're mediocre, not bad. Ask the JETE (most years) whether there's a difference.

- When the D is healthy, our secondary is really good and the LBs compliment them. We have the core of a good D, but again, take out 3 or 4 of the starters, and we've lost the next-man-up resilience of many previous teams (thus far.)

If the team, especially Mac, adjusts this week and shows character/resilience against the JETE, I will be surprised and impressed. One really bad game in the books is not the end of the world. But now's the time, Mac. I don't think we're going to bounce back from it this week. For whatever reason, I don't think Mac's ready to show that much resilience. And there will be adversity from the O-line. There will be no lack of excuses. That said, I would love to laugh at having posted this come Sunday.

And yes, I know Patricia is fat, but the guys complaining about him are the same guys who complained about McDaniels until he left to be a head coach twice. So saying "fat Matt" is pretty uninspiring from an analytical viewpoint and saying the word "playcalling" isn't much mure illuminating.

They should be asking him to push the ball DF more. We didn't get Parker and Thornton for screen passes or check downs. He just needs to take the check down if there's nothing DF. He hasn't been doing that but rather playing hero ball. It's his decision making that is in question
Vs. Chi., why could he not get the ball DF, but Zappe could? Were they not asking him - or permitting him - to take those shot downfield? But immediately on Zappe entering the game, they were like "Screw that, Bailey, get out there and sling it"? Because he immediately went long a couple of times. I need to re-watch that game to figure out that exact evolution...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back