PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Game Thread- Pats @ Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that they know they have a lot of time with Zappe. He's already played more than anyone thought he would. And they need to make the assessment on Mac before turning it over to Zappe in the offseason.

As for a top-10 pick, if that's the case, I hope they take a blue-chip defensive guy on the line or LB. I don't think our D is that far away and if it turns the corner, that takes a lot of pressure off a struggling offense.

Or a top flight OT. Best way to help a young QB (Mac or otherwise) is to protect him, or to your point, make him confident he doesn't have to win the game by himself because the D is ballin'.

I don't understand how so many people tout that Baltimore game as some heroic performance from Mac. He threw three picks and should have thrown another. He made some plays with his feet and made some good throws but to me the bad far outweighed the good.
I think it's because that felt like a win if not for the egregious self-inflicted wounds. If they can get those cleaned up, they can compete with some of the higher-level teams in the conference. I think they look at it as progress for an early-second-year QB?

I don't understand how so many people tout that Baltimore game as some heroic performance from Mac. He threw three picks and should have thrown another. He made some plays with his feet and made some good throws but to me the bad far outweighed the good.
But Mac did throw for 321yds and Agholor :mad: :headscratch: had really bad momentum killer fumble. Really hope he gets three snaps again on Sunday on running plays too stone hands who can't run a route to save his life.

Last edited:
Is this another "Super Bowl" type game for the Jete like it was for the Bear on Monday Night? Pats were completely unprepared for the Bear. I would like to see a better effort and focus from this team. No matter who is playing. Win or lose.

Good to put some heat under Bailey's butt but KO duty is a key factor. I'm not sure I want Folk picking that up and losing his stroke.
Bailey would continue to be active.

If we need to activate another punter, then we will have 3 active.

Looks the Jets Offensive situation minus B Hall is not good and they have questionable QB play to say the least. Let's hope our Defense don't give them a new identity like they gave Chicago.

What makes me optimistic is that the two games where the defense has looked the worst were with running QBs. And not just guys that CAN scramble, but guys who's biggest strength is arguably their legs (though Jackson has a good arm too, making it even harder). Zack Wilson can run a bit, but he's not Lamar Jackson, or even Justin Fields (with his legs at least). We've had decent success keeping RB's in check on the ground. Most of our bad run D has come from QB runs and WR sweeps.

I think it's because that felt like a win if not for the egregious self-inflicted wounds. If they can get those cleaned up, they can compete with some of the higher-level teams in the conference. I think they look at it as progress for an early-second-year QB?
I mean Mac has 21 picks in 22 games. It is hard to say "if he eliminated the turnovers" when turning the ball over is basically what he does. It was nice to see him make a few plays with his feet but I don’t think that is a sustainable way to win games given Mac's athletic ability.

I mean Mac has 21 picks in 22 games. It is hard to say "if he eliminated the turnovers" when turning the ball over is basically what he does. It was nice to see him make a few plays with his feet but I don’t think that is a sustainable way to win games given Mac's athletic ability.

The two QB's who played in the Super Bowl last year had 17 picks in 17 games (Stafford) and 14 picks in 16 games (Burrow). Slightly under one pick per game is not a sign of turnover trouble. Some other notables from last year:

Josh Allen - 15 picks in 17 games
Justin Herbert - 15 picks in 17 games
Derek Carr - 14 picks in 17 games

I feel like we got spoiled with Tom always having such low INT numbers, we've forgotten what the majority of the NFL is like. Mac has been bad THIS year with turnovers, no doubt at all. But last year he was pretty good.

What makes me optimistic is that the two games where the defense has looked the worst were with running QBs. And not just guys that CAN scramble, but guys who's biggest strength is arguably their legs (though Jackson has a good arm too, making it even harder). Zack Wilson can run a bit, but he's not Lamar Jackson, or even Justin Fields (with his legs at least). We've had decent success keeping RB's in check on the ground. Most of our bad run D has come from QB runs and WR sweeps.
Sound like Zack Wilson is kind of like Mac two former First Round QB's struggling in the pros: interesting.

Last edited:
The two QB's who played in the Super Bowl last year had 17 picks in 17 games (Stafford) and 14 picks in 16 games (Burrow). Slightly under one pick per game is not a sign of turnover trouble. Some other notables from last year:

I feel like we got spoiled with Tom always having such low INT numbers, we've forgotten what the majority of the NFL is like. Mac has been bad THIS year with turnovers, no doubt at all. But last year he was pretty good.
Yeah we get it QB's throw picks but we want the TD numbers to be more and not vise/versa.

Yeah we get it QB's throw picks but we want the TD numbers to be more and not vise/versa.

Of course, but the idea (in the post I was replying to) of, "Turning the ball over is basically what he does" seems to be a bit of an exaggeration.

Of course, but the idea (in the post I was replying to) of, "Turning the ball over is basically what he does" seems to be a bit of an exaggeration.
I wouldn't say100% based on other player errors but would say Jones is at least 50% of our TO problems.

That's all true for 17 games. Mac is on track to have 21 INTs in 17 games (playing 13). He's on track to have 7 TDs. Let's just hope he reverses those numbers.

That's all true for 17 games. Mac is on track to have 21 INTs in 17 games (playing 13). He's on track to have 7 TDs. Let's just hope he reverses those numbers.

7 TD, 21 INT? Wow, those are pre-SB era QB numbers.

Mac had a 2.5% interception percentage whereas Carr was 2.2%, Herbert was 2.2%, and Allen was at 2.3%. Stafford had a higher interception percentage (2.8%) but threw 41 TDs, as did Burrow at 2.7% but threw 34 TDs. Herbert also threw 38 TDs, Allen had 36, and Carr was the only one comparable to Mac with 23 to Mac's 22 TDs.

Carr I think is somewhat comparable to Mac as he is more of a game manager type of QB but the rest of those guys are all playmakers who actively make their teams better. If Mac was making lots of plays and throwing picks I would be less skeptical of his prospects of being the long term starter here but if that Baltimore game is supposed to be Mac "playmaking" then I will pass on that. 3 picks and one rushing TD isn't going to win you many games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST