PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Game Thread- Pats @ Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all, getting everyone ready for a Friday:

Let's hope Barmore practices today because I don't care who the Jets have a @ RB they'll run all over this Barmore-less D lets not kid ourselves.

Good morning all, getting everyone ready for a Friday:

Something is definitely going on with Bailey (I think it's an injury). How long before they put a punter on the PS?

This is basically a must-win for the Pats season hopes.
But, has there ever been a bigger must-win for a QB than this game for Mac?
I mean, by all accounts it seems that if he struggles at all, they're switching to Zappe for the rest of the season.
Not fair, but that's the sort of pressure on Mac this week.
I really hope he can use this to motivate him and play a great game in a big win.

I mean, by all accounts it seems that if he struggles at all, they're switching to Zappe for the rest of the season.
I really hope he can use this to motivate him and play a great game in a big win.
If Mac struggles in this game, they probably lose this game and the season is over, at which point, you let Mac play out the string to see if he's got the ability to move forward in the future or if he's a lost cause.

Given the potential influence on the starting QB, you could make the argument that this is a must-win for the Pats future beyond this season. If Mac shows progress and the team performs like it can, the direction is well understood. If Mac looks jittery and plays poorly we are looking at a start over scenario finding the QB of the future. Maybe Zappe can be that guy, we have no idea at this time.

I agree that a loss most likely ends any hope of competing for a playoff spot, but I think itd be far from the end for mac. If there’s nothing to play for this would just allow an extended look for bb at the qb position and he’ll probably want to see alot more of mac in that process before switching to zappe.

Edit: sorry just saw mike said essentially the same thing :)

Something is definitely going on with Bailey (I think it's an injury). How long before they put a punter on the PS?
Unless all four looked awful in their tryouts, I’d expect them to have one today. It’ll be interesting to see if they put Bailey on IR (despite not being on the injury report) or let him work through things on the active roster. I’m guessing the roster spot alone isn’t enough incentive for a release to be under consideration.

Given the potential influence on the starting QB, you could make the argument that this is a must-win for the Pats future beyond this season. If Mac shows progress and the team performs like it can, the direction is well understood. If Mac looks jittery and plays poorly we are looking at a start over scenario finding the QB of the future. Maybe Zappe can be that guy, we have no idea at this time.

We are not looking at a start over scenario with Mac having played 20 games. God help us.

Unless all four looked awful in their tryouts, I’d expect them to have one today. It’ll be interesting to see if they put Bailey on IR (despite not being on the injury report) or let him work through things on the active roster. I’m guessing the roster spot alone isn’t enough incentive for a release to be under consideration.
I think Bill values the roster spot too much and would put Bailey on IR. I don't think Bailey's getting cut, if only for cap reasons.

Amen preach brother preach it sounds like unless he gets injured Mac is expected to finish the game. Don't know if it's an evaluation game but our AFC East is way too competitive. Just looking at the Patriots Second Half I find it hard to pick them in any unless a certain team is decimated by injuries. It's put up or shut up for Mac if he craps the bed this Sunday his supporters won't have any excuses.

I think it depends on how they lose (if they do). If the D allows the Jets to run all over them but Mac doesn't have any costly picks, I doubt it affects his role. Unless he turns the ball over enough to be the reason for the loss in a close game, I think he's safe. Even then, Bill may just decide to keep him as the starter, which would suck because he's 100% healthy and if he sh*ts the bed again, then that's who he is in '22.

While I think there is a ton of pressure on mac this week, I don’t think this is true.

I think it depends on how they lose (if they do). If the D allows the Jets to run all over them but Mac doesn't have any costly picks, I doubt it affects his role. Unless he turns the ball over enough to be the reason for the loss in a close game, I think he's safe. Even then, Bill may just decide to keep him as the starter, which would suck because he's 100% healthy and if he sh*ts the bed again, then that's who he is in '22.
We need this game to stay in contention for at least Second in the division. Lose and we would be probably out of contention in the AFC this year. If that's the case we should be active by the Trade deadline moving deadwood players like Wynn and Agholor.

If Mac struggles in this game, they probably lose this game and the season is over, at which point, you let Mac play out the string to see if he's got the ability to move forward in the future or if he's a lost cause.
This is where I am at. I will be beside myself if we lose to the Jets because, A. it's the Jets, and B, that would pretty much cement our status as the basement dwellers of the AFC East. Either way they need to see if Mac is the guy for next year especially if we are sitting at 3-5 midway through the year we may be in position to draft a new guy next year if need be.

We need this game to stay in contention for at least Second in the division. Lose and we would be probably out of contention in the AFC this year. If that's the case we should be active by the Trade deadline moving deadwood players like Wynn and Agholor.
At best we're fighting for #3 in the division. MIA about to go up 5-3 when they roll over the Lions.

While I think there is a ton of pressure on mac this week, I don’t think this is true.
But what if Jones still struggles? And they decide to go with Zappe for the rest of the year. Wouldn't it be wise to see what you have in him knowing you will be in the running for a Top 10 pick? Which could be a QB again.

At best we're fighting for #3 in the division. MIA about to go up 5-3 when they roll over the Lions.
Funny before the season started we thought he AFC West was going to be way more competitive. I didn't think our AFC Least would be this Tough. I think the Jets are a QB away when it's all said and done they have all the other pieces really jealous of their up-side.

But what if Jones still struggles? And they decide to go with Zappe for the rest of the year. Wouldn't it be wise to see what you have in him knowing you will be in the running for a Top 10 pick? Which could be a QB again.
I think that they know they have a lot of time with Zappe. He's already played more than anyone thought he would. And they need to make the assessment on Mac before turning it over to Zappe in the offseason.

As for a top-10 pick, if that's the case, I hope they take a blue-chip defensive guy on the line or LB. I don't think our D is that far away and if it turns the corner, that takes a lot of pressure off a struggling offense.

I know some people don't agree with this view or with Chatham, but I think this is where the coaches are on Mac:

I don't understand how so many people tout that Baltimore game as some heroic performance from Mac. He threw three picks and should have thrown another. He made some plays with his feet and made some good throws but to me the bad far outweighed the good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore