PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Game Thread- Pats @ Browns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bryant went from nothing to a solid contributor.

He just plays more than he should.
Bryant is fine as your depth DB that rarely sees the field but can play a lot of different positions in a pinch and at least knows where to be. Unfortunately he plays a lot more than that right now. He is no starter.

Neutralize Garrett and Chubb and this should be a Pats W.
I think neutralizing Chubb with the Pats run defense this year is a tall order. I'll say minimize as an alternative. Make them execute 12-15 play drives every time, win the turnover battle, and they have a great chance of success.

I think neutralizing Chubb with the Pats run defense this year is a tall order. I'll say minimize as an alternative. Make them execute 12-15 play drives every time, win the turnover battle, and they have a great chance of success.
as does any team in the NFL. With Guy presumably out and Barmore sure to get double teamed, the fate of our run defense rests in the hands of Godchaux. As far as he goes I'm from Missouri...

as does any team in the NFL. With Guy presumably out and Barmore sure to get double teamed, the fate of our run defense rests in the hands of Godchaux. As far as he goes I'm from Missouri...

Maybe we will see a bit more of Carl Davis

Why are you assuming that Guy is out?
I think that the fate of our Run Defense lies on the shoulders of more than Godchaux. I think that it rests on Tavai, Bentley and Dugger moreso. I wouldn't be surprised to see Judon out there with Godchaux, Davis, Barmore, and Wise across the front with Bentely and Dugger as the "LB". Then you have D-Mac and Phillips as your safeties.

The only one OUT is Uche.
In fact, we got GOOD news on the injury front as Mills and Andrews were removed from the List. Also DeMarcus Mitchell cleared Concussion protocol.

as does any team in the NFL.
Yep...when the cliche is true...

That said, there have been instances against type that have sometimes worked, but they're more rare...especially with more and more allowances for the offense (now with phantom RTPs where you can't even touch the QB! Get yours today!).

With Guy back they're better, but Cleveland's running attack is pretty dang good. All that being said I'm still not in the "the Patriots are doomed no matter what" camp. Is there such thing as "the Patriots are competitive, better in some areas, worse in others middle of the road camp?"

Why are you assuming that Guy is out?
I think that the fate of our Run Defense lies on the shoulders of more than Godchaux. I think that it rests on Tavai, Bentley and Dugger moreso. I wouldn't be surprised to see Judon out there with Godchaux, Davis, Barmore, and Wise across the front with Bentely and Dugger as the "LB". Then you have D-Mac and Phillips as your safeties.

The only one OUT is Uche.
In fact, we got GOOD news on the injury front as Mills and Andrews were removed from the List. Also DeMarcus Mitchell cleared Concussion protocol.

Feels more like Guy will play to me, though he might not play the whole game.

Lots of really good players on this Pats team. Stevenson has one of the highest grades for second season players.

311773194_650243793130619_8957917929979264396_n.jpg

Maybe we will see a bit more of Carl Davis
The negative Nancys mocked me when I said Carl Davis was our run stuffing nose tackle this offseason, that he was really good for 10-12 plays a game on short downs.

Detroit was 0-6 on fourth down, 4-12 on third down and didn't score in the red zone against us... go watch the highlights on those short downs. Carl Davis and Barmore were a force inside is why.

Carl Davis played 14 snaps, that's his role. You only face 3rd or 4th and short a few times a game, you only face it on the goal line a couple times a game. That's why Davis was a roster lock in the offseason.

Who's laughing now?

So what's the chances of Mac playing? Either way it's a huge game for the QB who does play. Mac can say, "I'm back, this is my team" with a solid game and a W. Likewise Zappe can say, "I'm here, I'm winning, what's not to like? with a solid game and a W. Either scenario is good for that Pats that the QB will want to prove a point.

So what's the chances of Mac playing? Either way it's a huge game for the QB who does play. Mac can say, "I'm back, this is my team" with a solid game and a W. Likewise Zappe can say, "I'm here, I'm winning, what's not to like? with a solid game and a W. Either scenario is good for that Pats that the QB will want to prove a point.
I want to see Zappe, not only because Mac would be rushing back, but because I want to see them challenge Zappe some. Let him pass more, especially on 2nd down using play action. Take the restrictor plate off and let it fly. Let's see what the kid can do with more volume. If he doesn't turn the ball over, there is no QB controversy. You play the better QB.

Neutralize Garrett and Chubb and this should be a Pats W.

Defense has been playing well as long as the offense doesn't turn the ball over.
It all comes down to that first sentence. I am thrilled that Brissett is yet another pro-capable Pats QB product, but our present D can most definitely take away Brissett and the CLE pass game. My worry is we gave up a lot of pounds in our conversion to faster, attackinger defense. Now we get to see how that performs against a big, run-you-over type running back. That can easily look like "oh what were you worried about? tackle right, wrap around waist slide down to legs, everything is fine," but evidently not all that many other people can do that to Chubb.

Whatever happened to Peyton Hillis anyway? There are one year wonders but he was more like a 4 game wonder including obviously the game where he ran all over us.
Remember Trung Canidate? :D

4p deadline for roster moves/practice squad elevations
Prediction:
Gilbert will be elevated from the PS this afternoon even if Mac has a chance of playing tomorrow.

it may look like a tell but BB would hedge that bet to allow a game time decision even if Mac is likely to play.

that said, I expect Mac will sit this one out.

Prediction:
Gilbert will be elevated from the PS this afternoon even if Mac has a chance of playing tomorrow.

it may look like a tell but BB would hedge that bet to allow a game time decision even if Mac is likely to play.

that said, I expect Mac will sit this one out.
So you predict that either Mac plays tomorrow or he doesn't. I think you're spot on.

I want to see Zappe, not only because Mac would be rushing back, but because I want to see them challenge Zappe some. Let him pass more, especially on 2nd down using play action. Take the restrictor plate off and let it fly. Let's see what the kid can do with more volume. If he doesn't turn the ball over, there is no QB controversy. You play the better QB.
That sounds like a quick way to go 2-4. Give them the throws he’s comfortable with, tell him to take what the defense gives him (which will probably be throws to the sticks), and lean on Rham and the defense to win a tough game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back