PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Free Agency 2023

I can see Bill going up to $12.5 but there are posters here saying 8-10. I mean, if Meyers is willing to stay for that, it would be great. I just don't see it happening if someone offers him $14, why would he stay?
He wouldn't, nor should he. Go get paid, sometimes that just happens (JC Jackson, perfect example).

Anyone saying 8-10 just either isn't being serious, or just doesn't know how much WRs make now. Everyone loves to **** on Agholor, but $11m isn't a ton of money for WR now (it was when he was signed, but the market has moved since then). He's overpaid, but it's not an egregious overpay anymore.

Meyers has a skillset which is good, but niche, and that limits his value in my opinion. If some team wants to pay him like a top-tier #2 WR, then they'll overpay for what he can actually do.

He wouldn't, nor should he. Go get paid, sometimes that just happens (JC Jackson, perfect example).

Anyone saying 8-10 just either isn't being serious, or just doesn't know how much WRs make now. Everyone loves to **** on Agholor, but $11m isn't a ton of money for WR now (it was when he was signed, but the market has moved since then). He's overpaid, but it's not an egregious overpay anymore.

Meyers has a skillset which is good, but niche, and that limits his value in my opinion. If some team wants to pay him like a top-tier #2 WR, then they'll overpay for what he can actually do.
Statistically despite missing 3 games in 2022 he was 30th among WRs in receptions. He was 16th in 2021. (34 and 28 in rec yards) That is top tier #2 production.

From this mornings Reiss article:

"And as the Patriots’ lack of representation at the Pro Bowl (just outside linebacker Matthew Judon) and on the All-Pro team (just punt returner Marcus Jones) shows, the team needs more blue-chip players."

Gee, I'm glad Reiss agrees with some of us.

And another eye opening tidbit from Reiss for those thinking the Pats are cash rich:

"the Patriots project to have about $30 million in space when the league year begins March 15. That might seem plentiful on the surface, but when considering the club plans to spend $15-20 million during the season for injuries, practice-squad elevations, not-likely-to-be-earned incentives and its draft class, the space can dissolve quickly."

From this mornings Reiss article:

"And as the Patriots’ lack of representation at the Pro Bowl (just outside linebacker Matthew Judon) and on the All-Pro team (just punt returner Marcus Jones) shows, the team needs more blue-chip players."

Gee, I'm glad Reiss agrees with some of us.

And another eye opening tidbit from Reiss for those thinking the Pats are cash rich:

"the Patriots project to have about $30 million in space when the league year begins March 15. That might seem plentiful on the surface, but when considering the club plans to spend $15-20 million during the season for injuries, practice-squad elevations, not-likely-to-be-earned incentives and its draft class, the space can dissolve quickly."

Nothing new here. Half the league has negative salary cap space, see Buffalo. Since they also have to pay for injuries, practice squad elevations, etc., what will they do? Restructure like the whole league does. The projected salary cap is not to define hard numbers, but to see relatively speaking who has the most opportunity to sign FAs. Relatively, the Pats have about the 6th most cap space in a 32 team league, that is a good place to be. Since Mac is still on a rookie contract, I assume we will sign FAs pushing the big cap hits into future years. We will see.

Statistically despite missing 3 games in 2022 he was 30th among WRs in receptions. He was 16th in 2021. (34 and 28 in rec yards) That is top tier #2 production.
This is exactly the point. He gets that production here. If you're asking him to be Waddle or Thielan, he's not that guy. The key (which something Bill Belichick and his pro scouting department has done extremely well over 2 decades), is combining the production with the physical attributes and the mental makeup. There are misses of course, but there is no GM or scouting department which is 100%.

This is why some productive players walk for big contracts, and don't produce elsewhere, and why some undervalued FAs come here and are very productive. The people who say 'production only', are wrong, and the people who say 'attributes only' are also wrong. It's why bringing Jalen Ramsey here on that insane contract is ludicrous, just for another example.

This is exactly the point. He gets that production here. If you're asking him to be Waddle or Thielan, he's not that guy. The key (which something Bill Belichick and his pro scouting department has done extremely well over 2 decades), is combining the production with the physical attributes and the mental makeup. There are misses of course, but there is no GM or scouting department which is 100%.

This is why some productive players walk for big contracts, and don't produce elsewhere, and why some undervalued FAs come here and are very productive. The people who say 'production only', are wrong, and the people who say 'attributes only' are also wrong. It's why bringing Jalen Ramsey here on that insane contract is ludicrous, just for another example.
But all we need to care about is what they produce here.

pAre you sure Godwin completely healed from his injury?
Probably not, but that makes me want to trade for him even more, because they may be buying slightly low. It is generally acknowledged that the vast majority of players returning from ACL repairs don’t get back to full strength until year 2. That makes his production even more impressive.

Yes, Godwin’s ypc and touchdowns were down, but that is probably more a function of the offense in general, than a reflection of his play. Either because of real, or imagined, pressure Brady got rid of the ball very quickly this year, at times too quickly. Brady Sr.’s comments earlier this week about Tommy’s desire to avoid as many hits as possible at age of 45 correlates with what we often saw during the games. That’s not a criticism of Brady, because I don’t blame him, and he obviously proved his toughness throughout his career here, but it likely did have an impact on Godwin’s relative lack of explosive plays last year.

Patriots should:

1) bring in Baker Mayfield or Mason Rudolph to push Mac in TC
2) Sign Samarja Perine or D'Onte Foreman to take over for Damien Harris
3) resign Jakobi
4) Sign DaRon Payne from Commanders as their big signing
5) sign James Bradbury at CB

Last edited:
Patriots should:

2) Sign Samara Perine or D'Onte Foreman to take over for Damien Harris
3) resign Jakobi
George Costanza Flirting GIF by MOODMAN

Zach Allen and Dremont Jones would be other DL options.

And I’d still like to resign J. Jones if possible.

I think Meyers is a bit overrated. He’s worked hard to become a capable possession receiver, but he’s not as good as Edelman or Welker were and I think Bourne could fill his role well enough. They need a top guy defenses have to worry about.
Myers is sure handed, reliable, gets open.. he's a good option to have on a team.. the guy was undrafted, made himself into a good NFL receiver.. he's never going to be a speed demon however have to admit the guy got better each season.. his value is higher in NE where he's s known commodity.. we absolutely do need at least 2 WRs that DCs have to game plan for..

Patriots should:

2) Sign Samarja Perine or D'Onte Foreman to take over for Damien Harris
3) resign Jakobi
Harris and strong will have big roles with Rham, don't forget we lost ty Montgomery week 1 as he would've been the 3rd down back. I can see him back!

Definitely agree with everything else.. I'd probably go with Ramsey myself, if we can trade for him over Bradbury.. however hard not to argue with anything you stated..

could also get 12m in cap savings by trading JC Jackson with a post june 1 designation ... just sayin' ...

That requires finding a team willing to pay him $12M coming off a torn patellar tendon plus some kind of arrest in December.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back