PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Free Agency 2023

One of my favorite player's but may be getting old, battered and bruised. Would be a classic Patriot if healthy.
Agreed ! I believe if healthy he can still get down field and defenses still have to respect him... if we can obtain at least 1 top tier WR that makes it so much easier for everyone else..

He's most likely going to be a cap causality... While a trade secures you player rights, it's going to cost 18m to 20m a year on his current deal to keep him for '23 & '24... If I read otc correctly that is...

Maybe if the trade was for a pick swap, but otherwise that's a big dollar, high cost - depending on the pick - move, for a potentially disastrous return in light of his injury history... 36 to 40m for potentially 1 years service, or less, in a worst case scenario...

I wouldn't mind bringing him in, but would prefer to do it thru free agency if/after he gets cut..
Yeah, I'd be thinking a low pick just to secure player rights. You'd want to restructure via extension to lower the initial cap hit. You could obviously do all of this in free agency too but you can guarantee you get the player via a pick.

The Chargers actually would gain more cap space via trade than just by releasing Allen, so you're doing them a favor by trading. You could probably do a straight swap, like a 2023 6th for a 2024 5th plus Allen or something.

At the end of the day though, as @Username said, Meyers would likely cost less, is younger and probably be about as productive. He's not the athlete Allen is but Allen is on the other side of 30 too.

Maybe you could get Allen, extend him to lower his cap hit this year to around $9M, then sign Meyers also for a first year hit of single digits. Cut Parker to save $6M. Would Allen-Meyers-Bourne-Thornton get it done in today's NFL? You'd have all of them under contract for the next few years except Bourne.

I'd love it even more if Jones was a full-time slot receiver and ST.. just imagine Thornton on outside, Jones in slot, Parker on outside with another WR to be named not algalhor.. we have some speed there!
Keep Macus Jones on Defense and ST's lets hope T Thornton makes the Second year leap with a real OC. That said I think they are going to let Meyers walk also I don't think DeVante Parker is anything special he horrible at separating. I see Four or Five WR's from this Draft with much better upside than who we have on our current roster I really hope we double dip this is the year to do it.

Yeah, I'd be thinking a low pick just to secure player rights. You'd want to restructure via extension to lower the initial cap hit. You could obviously do all of this in free agency too but you can guarantee you get the player via a pick.

The Chargers actually would gain more cap space via trade than just by releasing Allen, so you're doing them a favor by trading. You could probably do a straight swap, like a 2023 6th for a 2024 5th plus Allen or something.

At the end of the day though, as @Username said, Meyers would likely cost less, is younger and probably be about as productive. He's not the athlete Allen is but Allen is on the other side of 30 too.

Maybe you could get Allen, extend him to lower his cap hit this year to around $9M, then sign Meyers also for a first year hit of single digits. Cut Parker to save $6M. Would Allen-Meyers-Bourne-Thornton get it done in today's NFL? You'd have all of them under contract for the next few years except Bourne.
We should have Drafted K Allen the year we Drafted Aaron Dropson no thanks in 2023. He's been in the league for a while now I think his numbers are on the way down again no thanks.

He's most likely going to be a cap causality... While a trade secures you player rights, it's going to cost 18m to 20m a year on his current deal to keep him for '23 & '24... If I read otc correctly that is...

Maybe if the trade was for a pick swap, but otherwise that's a big dollar, high cost - depending on the pick - move, for a potentially disastrous return in light of his injury history... 36 to 40m for potentially 1 years service, or less, in a worst case scenario...

I wouldn't mind bringing him in, but would prefer to do it thru free agency if/after he gets cut..
That scenario I am fine with the most I would give up for K Allen is Fourth Rounder and move on from Parker. Allen is clearly a better player but I wouldn't part with a Second or Third Rounder for him.

Keep Macus Jones on Defense and ST's lets hope T Thornton makes the Second year leap with a real OC. That said I think they are going to let Meyers walk also I don't think DeVante Parker is anything special he horrible at separating. I see Four or Five WR's from this Draft with much better upside than who we have on our current roster I really hope we double dip this is the year to do it.
I mentioned M. Jones on offense becuase his upside is greater as an offensive weapon and ST rather than on defense.. he's undersized as CB and to me personally he's much ,much more dangerous being an offensive threat to score anytime he touches the ball..

Now the draft.. that's where things get interesting.. if groh is picking the WRs then ok we may have something.. traditionally we know it's not been good with rookie WRs being able to work out here. Thornton has something, he has elite speed and can definitely seperate.. all he needs to do is add muscle and work on his routes. Parker has a great catch range and ability.. he's best suited as a 2 or 3 at WR.. as u said nothing to special..

We still need to add at minimum 2 WRs and I'd say another TE , we'd be lucky if o'Brien can get anything out of januu...

... but I wouldn't part with a Second or Third Rounder for him.
Oh god no ... even a 3rd would make it as bad a deal as the Sanu trade was... i think Ross had the potential trade value nailed ... swap 5/6 + the player, split the year if needed... or something similar... maybe a 7th if he doesnt make a full season, 6th if he does... make it contingent on playing time / games played or something like that...

Might piss off Allen if he really wants to get to free agency and then he wouldn't cooperate on the cap hits. But I'm fine with adding him if they think he's better than making a trade.

I think we do everything we can to keep Meyers because he's the short route/move the chains guy that makes BoB's offense hum.

Might piss off Allen if he really wants to get to free agency and then he wouldn't cooperate on the cap hits. But I'm fine with adding him if they think he's better than making a trade.

I think we do everything we can to keep Meyers because he's the short route/move the chains guy that makes BoB's offense hum.
I'd keep Parker his deal isn't too bad, he adds some value to the offense.. he did make some ridiculous catches this season! Parker-myers-thorton- allen- Bourne ( my pick M. Jones in slot! )

We'd have something on offense!

I mentioned M. Jones on offense becuase his upside is greater as an offensive weapon and ST rather than on defense.. he's undersized as CB and to me personally he's much ,much more dangerous being an offensive threat to score anytime he touches the ball..

Now the draft.. that's where things get interesting.. if groh is picking the WRs then ok we may have something.. traditionally we know it's not been good with rookie WRs being able to work out here. Thornton has something, he has elite speed and can definitely seperate.. all he needs to do is add muscle and work on his routes. Parker has a great catch range and ability.. he's best suited as a 2 or 3 at WR.. as u said nothing to special..

We still need to add at minimum 2 WRs and I'd say another TE , we'd be lucky if o'Brien can get anything out of januu...
I love the idea of converting M. Jones into a full-time WR, but we'll have to see what the coaches think.

free agency is limited for him... he's already 30...

most likely, which sucks for team like us who are looking for good wr's, the chargers will renegotiate his deal, drop is annual salary to a more palatable level, or add a void year to drop his cap hit... he's still productive... unless the have to move him to clear cap, i think they will work a way to hold on to him tbh...

free agency is limited for him... he's already 30...

most likely, which sucks for team like us who are looking for good wr's, the chargers will renegotiate his deal, drop is annual salary to a more palatable level, or add a void year to drop his cap hit... he's still productive... unless the have to move him to clear cap, i think they will work a way to hold on to him tbh...
Right, but in a free agency period with limited WR options, he instantly becomes one of the bigger names. He and his agent must have some idea of his potential market and know whether it makes more sense to shoot for free agency or redo something with the Chargers.

I know why people like Meyers he does get a lot of First Downs. That said it's been mentioned that D Parker is the Worse combination opposite Meyers we need a speed guy like T Thornton to compliment him. So if we somehow resign Meyers I hope we move on from Parker he doesn't move the needle for me and is kind of useless in this Offense. I remember a few games when he had well over 40 snaps and almost zero targets go figure.

I love the idea of converting M. Jones into a full-time WR, but we'll have to see what the coaches think.
Well judging how BB had him line up on offense a few times even scoring one time against the bills it shows glimpses of what can be this upcoming season with real functionality on offense.. he and Thornton on the field together on offense could create havoc for defenses with thier elite speed!

Right, but in a free agency period with limited WR options, he instantly becomes one of the bigger names. He and his agent must have some idea of his potential market and know whether it makes more sense to shoot for free agency or redo something with the Chargers.
lot of truth in that statement i didn't rightly consider

I know why people like Meyers he does get a lot of First Downs. That said it's been mentioned that D Parker is the Worse combination opposite Meyers we need a speed guy like T Thornton to compliment him. So if we somehow resign Meyers I hope we move on from Parker he doesn't move the needle for me and is kind of useless in this Offense. I remember a few games when he had well over 40 snaps and almost zero targets go figure.
i would love to move on from Parker & replace him with K Allen.

lot of truth in that statement i didn't rightly consider
I used to read a lot of Florio and he was always talking about how agents are constantly assessing markets for their clients, even when they're not supposed to be directly talking to teams. Obviously, sometimes this blows up, like Welker thinking he was going to get bigger offers than he did.

i would love to move on from Parker & replace him with K Allen.
I still feel Parker does have some value to this offense, he just isn't a WR1 he's more of a contested catch guy.. he's 6"3 definitely athletic, injuries have slowed his career.. but let him compete in camp.. I feel like obtain as much talent at the position as we can and that makes for a dam competive training camp!

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back