PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Free Agency 2023

Unless I’m understanding wrong, unlike a post June 1 cut, you cannot do a post June 1 designation early. Have to wait until June to make that designation.

That requires finding a team willing to pay him $12M coming off a torn patellar tendon plus some kind of arrest in December.
For some reason JC never rose to the occasion against top WRs like real lock down corners did.. he made alot of turnovers while he was in NE, but never could seem to neutralize top WRs..

That requires finding a team willing to pay him $12M coming off a torn patellar tendon plus some kind of arrest in December.
Line him up, i'll sign the damn check

Unless I’m understanding wrong, unlike a post June 1 cut, you cannot do a post June 1 designation early. Have to wait until June to make that designation.
that may be... i do not know for sure... then make it an agreement in principle

Harris and strong will have big roles with Rham, don't forget we lost ty Montgomery week 1 as he would've been the 3rd down back. I can see him back!

Ty Montgomery's finished as a viable option at 3-D Back... For Mac's sake, we need to do better than him... Much better.

Ty Montgomery's finished as a viable option at 3-D Back... For Mac's sake, we need to do better than him... Much better.
Reminded me of Dion Lewis... Showed promise, couldn't stay healthy when here... Better off finding a replacement

I know one thing Bob is going to love All purpose Rham. :cool:

Thing is, it’s not just $12M this year but it’s $12M for the next 4 years. Paying JC $12M in 2025 and 2026 will be a huge steal. By then you’d hopefully have another guy as your CB1 anyway. I don’t think the arrest is a big deal, it was locally in NE for a “nonviolent family issue”. Sounds procedural IMO.

Hmmm. I wonder if they could try to swing a trade for Allen for a low round pick instead and redo his deal via an extension to get the 2023 cap hit down.

Folks claim he’s injury prone but in the last 6 seasons, he has played 16 games four times, 14 games once and then 10 games last year. He managed around 100 receptions for 1000 yards or more every season for the past 5 before last year. Seems like he’s been pretty sturdy recently to me.

Hmmm. I wonder if they could try to swing a trade for Allen for a low round pick instead and redo his deal via an extension to get the 2023 cap hit down.

Folks claim he’s injury prone but in the last 6 seasons, he has played 16 games four times, 14 games once and then 10 games last year. He managed around 100 receptions for 1000 yards or more every season for the past 5 before last year. Seems like he’s been pretty sturdy recently to me.

I'd rather pay Meyers.

Don't get me wrong, Allen was a great player in his day, but he's an old, banged up possession receiver who's best days are behind him. Whereas Meyers is younger, healthier, knows the system and is on the ascendency.

He's most likely going to be a cap causality... While a trade secures you player rights, it's going to cost 18m to 20m a year on his current deal to keep him for '23 & '24... If I read otc correctly that is...

Maybe if the trade was for a pick swap, but otherwise that's a big dollar, high cost - depending on the pick - move, for a potentially disastrous return in light of his injury history... 36 to 40m for potentially 1 years service, or less, in a worst case scenario...

I wouldn't mind bringing him in, but would prefer to do it thru free agency if/after he gets cut..

Last edited:
Right however, he got hurt he never really got the opportunity to become that viable 3rd down option.. going back to Faulk 3rd down back was always a staple of the offense.. so we just don't know how productive or not he could have been.. I see him back in camp to compete..

I know one thing Bob is going to love All purpose Rham. :cool:
I'd love it even more if Jones was a full-time slot receiver and ST.. just imagine Thornton on outside, Jones in slot, Parker on outside with another WR to be named not algalhor.. we have some speed there!

Right however, he got hurt he never really got the opportunity to become that viable 3rd down option.. going back to Faulk 3rd down back was always a staple of the offense.. so we just don't know how productive or not he could have been.. I see him back in camp to compete..
Is Montgomery a free agent or do we have him coming back from injury next season?

Is Montgomery a free agent or do we have him coming back from injury next season?
It says he's here for 2023 at 1.3 so I believe he signed a 2 yr contract. I still think he can help us.. I don't think Damian harris will return.. definitely see Las Vegas in his future.. however we have a staple of backs strong and harris that can take some stress of rham..

It says he's here for 2023 at 1.3 so I believe he signed a 2 yr contract. I still think he can help us.. I don't think Damian harris will return.. definitely see Las Vegas in his future.. however we have a staple of backs strong and harris that can take some stress of rham..
Right, so probably Montgomery will be competing for that 3rd down back again this year.

Right, so probably Montgomery will be competing for that 3rd down back again this year.
Yes I'd say that's safe to assume.. that's another forgotten part to this offense.. how much would that help Mac and us sustain drives if we had that 3rd down back.. also if you take a hard look the KC offense looks just like the NE Brady offense.. isn't that odd! 8 ,9 yard passes, strong rushing attack.. occasionally taking a deep shot..

That's true what you mentioned, however since he came in the league he's always been hampered with hamstring issues.. he's a hell of a reciever, he'd definitely help us on the outside.. I'd definitely be on board with a trade however I'd still like to keep Myers too.. this offseaon should be all about getting as much offensive talent as possible and let it all play out in camp!

Reminded me of Dion Lewis... Showed promise, couldn't stay healthy when here... Better off finding a replacement
Lewis was special his speed, cutback abilities and elusivenes was a special type of talent.. we were such a potent offense with Lewis.. Yes availability as they say is the best ability

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back