PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Free Agency 2023

What about productivity?

Nowhere in his career has Bourne been productive. Meyers has been productive. That has to count for something. It puts the lie to things like speed and hands or whatever.
Bourne's been less productive but people point out the number of targets he gets. Ultimately Mac's got to pick 1 target per play. Meyers has worked himself into the first-look go-to guy, and I am not sure Mac is always thinking of other guys as valid targets. Let's remember how often the line failed him. Even when he was getting the low end of "enough" time, it wasn't "set up a card table" time.

I think Meyers is a target magnet when you need to have a guy exactly where he should be. I think Mac has needed that.

Bourne's been less productive but people point out the number of targets he gets. Ultimately Mac's got to pick 1 target per play. Meyers has worked himself into the first-look go-to guy, and I am not sure Mac is always thinking of other guys as valid targets. Let's remember how often the line failed him. Even when he was getting the low end of "enough" time, it wasn't "set up a card table" time.

I think Meyers is a target magnet when you need to have a guy exactly where he should be. I think Mac has needed that.
That is why it's important to try to retain him.. however Myers may have priced himself out of Foxborough.. however we need to get some more talent in here and please, please let a 3rd down back emerge.

Robbie Gould will test free agency, if you name the Patriots top 5 problems kicker isn't one of them but if we are looking at making the playoffs this is a team that doesn't have the luxury to lose one or two games on missed field goals. We need to take all the points that are out there so I don't mind signing this beast.

IMO the Pats should have some interest with KYZIR WHITE and T.J. EDWARDS if they become free agents.

I agree, but the Cap is Crap (or so we are yold), so the Eagles will not lose any FAs. Just extend all the deals with fake years tacked on the end. :p

What about productivity?

Nowhere in his career has Bourne been productive. Meyers has been productive. That has to count for something. It puts the lie to things like speed and hands or whatever.
Bourne is productive as a #3 or #4 back.
===========================
Meyers is productive as a #2 back.
===========================

If I had to choose, I'd take Meyers over Bourne every day and twice on Sunday. Not in the same league - one's a 2, the other a 3-4.
Yes, AT THE SAME PRICE, I would certainly choose Meyers for my roster.

It will be interesting to see what the 32 GMs think of Meyers. March 15th is the day for UFA deals I think. PatsFans commonly think too much of our own players. Meyers is productive but not dynamic, so I don't know what will happen.
There are rankings of players available in free agency. Where does Meyers rank?

It is not our posters who are overhyping Meyers.

There are rankings of players available in free agency. Where does Meyers rank?

It is not our posters who are overhyping Meyers.
It will all be based on team needs.

The Bills for instance would trade Gabe Davis for Meyers straight up and they'd throw in a 3rd rounder.

They want someone who can run routes. Not run on the boundary and only catch 50% of what comes his way.

So much of this is dependent on team needs. The radio guys in Buffalo identified him as the perfect complement.

That is why it's important to try to retain him.. however Myers may have priced himself out of Foxborough.. however we need to get some more talent in here and please, please let a 3rd down back emerge.
We'll see. He's great at what he does, and I think if the variables around him are closer to "ideal" he can look pretty good... though he won't be the unstoppable super star, at least I don't foresee it. Just more of the same "plus." Perhaps a first-time-ever 1000 yard season. Maybe a team with a big arm and a visionary OC of some kind figures out a way that he's a 1200 yard guy and they make that happen year in and year out as they feed their insane number-1 guy 1600 yard 15 TD guy, and Jakobi becomes open 24-7. But bear in mind thats with every other line of the slot machine hitting. Like, what if you've got a great arm, this one great receiver, then normal TEs and no. 3 guy... then he might become a security blanket for a guy who can make more of him. Or it might be that NE is the perfect fit and he's crazy to walk. Who knows. I can certainly imagine a good team that has the long ball down, looking to be great by steadying the ship at the chain-moving end.

Who knows. I do want him back in 23 of course.

The Bills for instance would trade Gabe Davis for Meyers straight up and they'd throw in a 3rd rounder.

They want someone who can run routes. Not run on the boundary and only catch 50% of what comes his way.

So much of this is dependent on team needs. The radio guys in Buffalo identified him as the perfect complement.
Yes, a team might prefer a play ranked #50 in free agency to one ranked 5th for a lot of reasons.
The overall rankings are just that, overall. If a player is ranked 7th, he is considered the 7th most desirable free agent.

In the Sporting News list, Meyers is rating highest at 37 , while noting that he is a slot receiver. Juju is the only other WR in the top 50. IMO, Meyers will be paid by a WR needy team; and yes, he will be "overpaid" by patsfans analysis.

1. Jakobi Meyers, Patriots
  2. JuJu Smith-Schuster, Chiefs
  3. Allen Lazard, Packers
  4. D.J. Chark, Lions
  5. Parris Campbell, Colts
  6. Mecole Hardman, Chiefs

Last edited:
Yes, a team might prefer a play ranked #50 in free agency to one ranked 5th for a lot of reasons.
The overall rankings are just that, overall. If a player is ranked 7th, he is considered the 7th most desirable free agent.

In the Sporting News list, Meyers is rating highest at 37 , while noting that he is a slot receiver. Juju is the only other WR in the top 50. IMO, Meyers will be paid by a WR needy team; and yes, he will be "overpaid" by patsfans analysis.

1. Jakobi Meyers, Patriots
  2. JuJu Smith-Schuster, Chiefs
  3. Allen Lazard, Packers
  4. D.J. Chark, Lions
  5. Parris Campbell, Colts
  6. Mecole Hardman, Chiefs
I liked Mecole Hardman a lot coming out of college, but not making it with the Chiefs is a warning bell, I guess. Still, I'd love to see the Pats bring him in.

I liked Mecole Hardman a lot coming out of college, but not making it with the Chiefs is a warning bell, I guess. Still, I'd love to see the Pats bring him in.
Electric, elite speed. However needs to work on route running and injury prone.
However he could come here and shine with BOB

Gabe Davis still had the same if not more production than Myers in Buffalos offense. He's not the route runner Myers Is but I'd say his ceiling is higher.. the guys a problem down field with his frame and catch radius..

Gabe Davis still had the same if not more production than Myers in Buffalos offense. He's not the route runner Myers Is but I'd say his ceiling is higher.. the guys a problem down field with his frame and catch radius..
They hate him here in Buffalo. Drive killer. Runs wrong routes. Drops balls. There are several podcasts on line about him from the radio guys.

They hate him here in Buffalo. Drive killer. Runs wrong routes. Drops balls. There are several podcasts on line about him from the radio guys.
Yeah I've heard similar things.. however did they hate him in the playoffs at KC? Or the constant big catches he makes when Allen is in trouble and Diggs is doubled? I'll take his 900 plus yards and his ability.. he is a different type of player than Myers he's actually fast and is a beast down field.. he always seems to make big plays against us!!

They sound like alot of our radio guys do...lol on some of our players here in Boston

Yeah I've heard similar things.. however did they hate him in the playoffs at KC? Or the constant big catches he makes when Allen is in trouble and Diggs is doubled? I'll take his 900 plus yards and his ability.. he is a different type of player than Myers he's actually fast and is a beast down field.. he always seems to make big plays against us!!

They sound like alot of our radio guys do...lol on some of our players here in Boston
The only thing I disagree with is that the Buffalo guys are like Boston's. Buffalo guys are huge homers and they talk football 99% of the time. I wish we had their radio guys.

Hardman is good. The Chiefs are stacked. That's the issue. There was a period this year where Kelce was consistent but a different WR would have a big game. One day it would be Hardman, then MVS, then Toney, then Juju would finally show up. Also Hardman missed most of the year and the Chiefs won the Super Bowl so they kinda know they don't need him.

I don't know if WE should get Hardman because he's a really good number 2. Could come here and be our best WR. The issue is, we really aren't looking for a number 2. We have a team full of 2's and 3's. We need someone that raises the ceiling, not someone giving us depth

Sorry that you've never seen a Patriots game in your life. You missed out on 6 Super Bowl victories.

Jakobi has been doing it year after year even with the likes of Cam Newton.

Bourne had 1 great year.

Guess what? It wasn't as good as Algholor's one great year. In fact, Bourne's first 6 years haven't been as good as Algholor's.

Meyers has been better than both. He's been an 800 yard guy even with shoddy QB play.
Kind of bad form to throw an insult at the guy who called you out for saying Bourne has never been productive while you admit he had a GREAT year.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back