PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread - Pats @ Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's probably true. Brady is still good and still outperforming his cap number, but it's pretty clear he's no longer in his prime. He's a top 5-7 QB instead of the best QB in the league, and that makes a big difference when you're asking your QB to carry a team that, apart from him, just isn't very good. He probably can't singlehandedly pull 3-4 wins off anymore.

In past years, my response to the question about Brady's window was "let's see some actual slippage in his play before we start talking about replacing him". Well, 2018 = slippage in his play. Still a damn good QB, can still win a Super Bowl with him, but he no longer relieves the FO of the responsibility to put a capable team around him. At this rate, the Pats really should be intent on drafting his successor this offseason, or next at the absolute latest.

I think bill did a good job building a stronger run game to support brady in anticipation of this, but failed on the defensive end last couple years. Clayborn and shelton were misses, especially shelton at areas of need. Rivers still cant make the game day roster and wise hasnt made the leap. Missed on ealy. With a good draft and a stronger d line to compliment the secondary, we could have a strong contender next year. Brady looks comparable to his 2001-2004 self who can thrive with a stronger team around him.

The Pats have been at or near the top of the NFL since 2001. How long can you reasonably expect the team to keep it up year after year? Constantly drafting in the 30-32 slot, you need to take chances on prospects that have dropped due to injuries or inconsistent play. I would feel a bit more confident if there was a TB replacement already being groomed. I feel there will be 2-4 years of good, but not great, teams, some of which may not reach the playoffs. Hopefully, the rebuild will put the Pats back where they have been for so long. We still have the memories of the last 15+ years of excellence to savor.

Or lets pretend the season is not over and nobody's died..

I miss big ole Alan Branch.

He wasn’t great, but I see how important having competence at that position is now.

Depends entirely on the year, but yeah. The Branch from when he was motivated to show up and play, yeah, we'd be 11-3 if we had him. The Branch that kept getting healthy scratched because he couldn't bring his fat ass to try in practice... not so much.

Please tell me you that you think the defense played well. The last drive was a perfect example....ball deep in Pitt territory needing a 3 and out and what happens, Pitt comes down the field and scores a fg…..If you think the defense played well, I can't help you.

Did the offense play well, no, not at all and I said that in my post, but do not try and defend this defense, just don't.

I agree, the defense was awful today. Ben doesn’t throw a pick and they don’t miss a FG and it’s a 27 or 31-10 game.

I actually think this team right now has the worst run defense in the league. In the last two weeks two third string RBs and Frank Gore together put up 33/292 for 8.8 yards per rush. No NFL team should be allowing 8.8 yards per rush.

This wasn’t really a weakness in October but it sure is now. Whatever happened in the last few weeks better be fixed quickly if this team has its sights higher than one and done.

Our run defense began to fall when he declined. Still haven’t recovered. I honestly think we need 2 DTs next offseason.
It’s not like we haven’t tried to acquire them over the last few years. Put a high pick into Brown and he didn’t pan out. Expected much more from Shelton this year as well, and we have not gotten anything.

Keep on trying, I suppose

Yeah, that's probably true. Brady is still good and still outperforming his cap number, but it's pretty clear he's no longer in his prime. He's a top 5-7 QB instead of the best QB in the league, and that makes a big difference when you're asking your QB to carry a team that, apart from him, just isn't very good. He probably can't singlehandedly pull 3-4 wins off anymore.

In past years, my response to the question about Brady's window was "let's see some actual slippage in his play before we start talking about replacing him". Well, 2018 = slippage in his play. Still a damn good QB, can still win a Super Bowl with him, but he no longer relieves the FO of the responsibility to put a capable team around him. At this rate, the Pats really should be intent on drafting his successor this offseason, or next at the absolute latest.
Or last year Tom, but who expected him to stay at the level?

I miss big ole Alan Branch.

He wasn’t great, but I see how important having competence at that position is now.

Wasn't he last seen at Panda Express?

I hate making sweeping statements after just one season, but unless something drastically changes , I really believe this is the decline of Brady. Maybe too many things went wrong this year from injuries, suspensions to pathetic draft but he just doesn't seem the same player mentally or physically. And what is really depressing is that we have no plan B if he decides this is it. We could lose the GOAT QB and GOAT TE in one off season.
This off season Bill better have an excellent draft and FA period , otherwise we will not be a contender for years. Maybe BB doesn't want to come back either. Okay, maybe I am rambling but right now I am depressed at what will happen in the next month and what the future holds.

Are you serious right now ? The defense held the Steelers to 3 points in the last 3 quarters and scored two INTs.

The offense is just completely broken to the point where I am not sure we will even see another RZ TD thrown this regular season. This was the same ****ty performance as the second half against Miami where they scored only 6 points.

And this game could have gone on another 2 quarters and I am not confident this team would score once in the redzone. The Brady INT didnt help but the issues are way more fundamental than that.

The consistent shot plays from second down on in the redzone are pretty much all you need to look at in terms of how helpless the offensive staff, Brady and the other players are.

Pats would have given up 60 tonight to the Chiefs. The fact they gave up 17 says more about the Steelers than it does how well the defense played

I think James white makes the offense much better and they barely used him until the last drive.
Pitt took that away, they took that and the middle of the field away, Pat's didnt adjust.

I think bill did a good job building a stronger run game to support brady in anticipation of this, but failed on the defensive end last couple years. Clayborn and shelton were misses, especially shelton at areas of need. Rivers still cant make the game day roster and wise hasnt made the leap. Missed on ealy. With a good draft and a stronger d line to compliment the secondary, we could have a strong contender next year. Brady looks comparable to his 2001-2004 self who can thrive with a stronger team around him.

Agreed mostly, I do think the offense is at least moderately well set up for the remainder of Brady's prime, pending what happens at tackle this offseason (if Brown leaves and we enter 2019 with Cannon as our best/most proven tackle, Brady should just retire). I'm eager to see what Wynn can bring to the table, because if he can add power, athleticism and flexibility to the line then the offense next season could be very balanced and hard to defend.

I also don't think Belichick's wrong to de-emphasize run-stopping, it's not as important as it used to be. But there's still a basic degree of competence that your front 7 needs to have there, and this Pats team just doesn't have it. Silver lining: while it's not going to get fixed until this offseason, run-stuffing DTs aren't exactly high value commodities and should be found in FA.

It’s not like we haven’t tried to acquire them over the last few years. Put a high pick into Brown and he didn’t pan out. Expected much more from Shelton this year as well, and we have not gotten anything.

Keep on trying, I suppose

Brown was 4 years ago. They knew what we had this offseason. Half hearted attempt to to put a bandaid on the run d with Shelton essentially replacing branch.

We can't be sure we're in the playoffs now.

Like I said last week if they lose both home games to the Jets and Bills and Miami somehow bounces them from the playoffs then as hard as it is to believe, Bill’s seat will warm up. Rightfully so.

I wouldn’t bet on them missing out.

I hate making sweeping statements after just one season, but unless something drastically changes , I really believe this is the decline of Brady. Maybe too many things went wrong this year from injuries, suspensions to pathetic draft but he just doesn't seem the same player mentally or physically. And what is really depressing is that we have no plan B if he decides this is it. We could lose the GOAT QB and GOAT TE in one off season.
This off season Bill better have an excellent draft and FA period , otherwise we will not be a contender for years. Maybe BB doesn't want to come back either. Okay, maybe I am rambling but right now I am depressed at what will happen in the next month and what the future holds.

It was a great run and if this is it so be it. I will never forget and best of all its on full HD video for the future. When Mahome is in the SB multiple times and making incredible passes to wide open recievers I will remember TB and his laser throws in tight windows that Mahomes would have a prayer of making.

This season Pats have lost 2 games back to back twice, they have lost 2 in December which rarely happens, lost to the Steelers which is very rare. Lots of first's or rare happenings this season and none of them are good !

But you are aware that Gronk has been doubled for 7+ years by now. This was happening long before Cooks even played a single snap of football in a college. Trying to blame this on Cooks being let go is a pretty transparent stretch to blame teambuilding instead of maybe acknowledging that so far Gronk simply not been the player he was in previous years.

The real question instead of pining for Cooks who never quite fit into this offense is wondering why Gordon is not used a lot more.

Cant run the ball consistently if you regularly get a presnap penalty and start out behind on first down. So lets not pretend that we went pass happy or something just for the kicks of it. When we finally were able to put together a drive it was on the back of a well working running game.

Not once in the first half did we start behind on 1st down from a pre snap penalty. Not running is on the coaching staff.

Last year we were 2nd in the league in pass plays over 20 yds. This year we are 20th. Ya, Cooks ability to stretch the field had no impact

I’ll put the pats chances of losing to two rookie QBs at home at statistically impossible

Jmd was not at the top of todays shiz list but he was on there.

As big a presence as he is, I’m leaning strongly against paying Trent brown big money. The man is a penalty machine. I still believe LT is Wynn’s future home. But I’m banking on him bouncing back from that injury.

If we do pay Brown it needs to be at cannons expense. That’s too much money to keep both.
I'd like them to put Waddle in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes