PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread - Pats @ Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not like we haven’t tried to acquire them over the last few years. Put a high pick into Brown and he didn’t pan out. Expected much more from Shelton this year as well, and we have not gotten anything.

Keep on trying, I suppose

The Pats had to have known that Brown's not the answer for at least 2 years now. He's part of the problem, not part of the solution. Don't blame the Pats for taking a shot on him, but it is what it is. Shelton's the real killer, IMO. In hindsight, it's hard to tell if they spent a 3rd on him because they thought he would be much, much better than he is, or if they spent a 3rd on him because they knew he wasn't very good but they were just that desperate. Either way, glaring mistake in terms of roster construction.

Atm the patriots need to draft a stud 3 down defensive tackle, also we need to find a replacement for Hightower.

I’m okay with our secondary, they played well, but our defensive 7 is total garbage.

Where to begin. Offense clearly can score, but something's seriously off. Defense.. Can we end the cute "McCourty Brothers project." Clearly Jason isnt even an average starting corner. Devin's a starter, but he's not really showing he's an impact player anymore. Goodbye Malcolm Brown, Danny Shelton; Adrian Clayborn - did we pay you to just rush 5 yards past the QB every down?

No semblance of a run defense on this team, and effort altogether is awful. JC Jackson and Gilmore are two mainstays, though.

Brown was 4 years ago. They knew what we had this offseason. Half hearted attempt to to put a bandaid on the run d with Shelton essentially replacing branch.
Shelton was essentially what Branch was when we acquired him. Once high draft prospects that hadn’t really done anything except be solid space eaters. But that’s what we really were asking out of both.

In Cleveland Shelton was a stout run stuffer, but not much more. In New England, he hasn’t even done that well.

I’ve seen games like these before. Always hate dumb losses. Gronk and brady seem like they’ve lost the desire to win but it’s probably my imagination

Giving up 17 points to the Steelers is pretty good.

Our offense needs to be better.

Tom is 41 and can no longer make up for the dumb mistakes by his teammates. Gronk is a shell of himself.

Where was Gordon? Dorssett?

Not talking about this game specifically but the main reason why we have looked off all year is the lack of impact youth players on the team. Many people have talked about this already but the drafting as of late hasn't worked out due to various reasons (injuries to Wynn, Bentley, busts, DeflateGate, etc.), and outside of Gilmore, Mason, Flowers, and a few niche impact players like White, Harmon, Andrews, every single top player on the squad is aging. To win a SB you need the players either on their prime (2015 Denver) or have a bunch of talented young players in their rookie contracts (2013 Seattle, 2017 Philadelphia), DUH!

We have Brady, Gronk, Edelman, DMac, Hightower, Ghost and a bunch of old dudes trying to get back to the Super Bowl after how many consecutive seasons of deep Playoff runs? Wear and tear is a real thing in all sports and we need some impact players to complement these old dudes, NOT depend on these old dudes. This upcoming draft is especially important for Belichick/Caserio to hit on the picks, or we might suffer another season similar to this one.

This is a year where literally anyone in the AFC that gets in can make the Super Bowl, i don't fully trust any of these AFC teams including the Pats.

That was my preseason prediction. And I'll take it -- it's still a good record and gets you into "the tournament" with a home playoff game.
Agree but the way they are achieving the record is leaving a nasty aftertaste

The Pats had to have known that Brown's not the answer for at least 2 years now. He's part of the problem, not part of the solution. Don't blame the Pats for taking a shot on him, but it is what it is. Shelton's the real killer, IMO. In hindsight, it's hard to tell if they spent a 3rd on him because they thought he would be much, much better than he is, or if they spent a 3rd on him because they knew he wasn't very good but they were just that desperate. Either way, glaring mistake in terms of roster construction.
Shelton is not great but the Run D has been atrocious since he became a healthy scratch.

Like I said last week if they lose both home games to the Jets and Bills and Miami somehow bounces them from the playoffs then as hard as it is to believe, Bill’s seat will warm up. Rightfully so.

I wouldn’t bet on them missing out.

Crazy talk.

It's not a shocking loss, given the way things have played out this year. Of course, it's disappointing. Somehow it makes me feel better that Pittsburgh is so pathetic that they're giving people the day off or late mornings, like it's the Super Bowl.

There's still a chance we get a bye, but it's more likely that we'll host on WCW. It's not like we need the break to heal up; the team is surprisingly healthy. If Gomer and the dumb Giants can limp into the playoffs and win Super Bowls, then there's a chance for Belichick-Brady. As always in these situations, it's wait and see for me.

I hate making sweeping statements after just one season, but unless something drastically changes , I really believe this is the decline of Brady. Maybe too many things went wrong this year from injuries, suspensions to pathetic draft but he just doesn't seem the same player mentally or physically. And what is really depressing is that we have no plan B if he decides this is it. We could lose the GOAT QB and GOAT TE in one off season.
This off season Bill better have an excellent draft and FA period , otherwise we will not be a contender for years. Maybe BB doesn't want to come back either. Okay, maybe I am rambling but right now I am depressed at what will happen in the next month and what the future holds.
Brady looks fine to me. Hasn't been 2017-esque this year, but I think the pieces on offense never really fell into place until November. I also think McDaniels' play calling has been wildly inconsistent and poor. Just an example:

On the late drive where they settled for a FG, the Pats ran it ~7 straight times until 3rd and short, only to throw a bubble screen to Edelman BEFORE THE YARD TO GAIN and come up short. Why the hell was there no play action mixed in there? Why risk a play designed to be thrown before the line to gain on a crucial 3rd down? Maybe if it's 1 or 2 yards to gain at most. But it was 3rd and 4, IIRC.

Pats would have given up 60 tonight to the Chiefs. The fact they gave up 17 says more about the Steelers than it does how well the defense played
This..

Keep in mind that the Steelers suck this year fir the most part.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Also supposedly this is a horrible QB class. We do not know whether Brady wants to play another year or just retire. If he retires #TankforTua :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News