PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread - Panthers @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Startling lack of awareness from Gilmore on the penalty. Why even jam so high on the receiver? He had already been called for hands to the face once, so he needed to be aware of the ref's tendencies there. Shoot the hands to the chest, not up high, and we probably win. Brady played really well to lead a comeback, but it was not to be. Ah well. There's time to improve the communication and coach the fundamentals. Long season, and dropping two games early certainly doesn't spell doom.

The problems on defense look fixable to me if players learn their assignments and Gilmore stays away from faces. Concerned this is leading up to a 2009esque season, though. Quarter of the way through and it seems like the defense is regressing.

I think it's coachable, though. Remains to be seen if that coaching will take root.

It seems to me like the pats are still in houston celebrating last year's super bowl...

Anyone blaming the refs is being delusional.

This loss was on the terrible Defense, and namely one Mr. Gilmore.

He was terrible for the Bills, some on here who closely follow football predicted he would bring all his faults here, and just four games in were starting to see it, costly penalties, gives up on plays, blows coverage etc.

The defense is in a bad way right now, the soft part of the schedule is over, now we're facing a murderers row of teams and with this defense I legit don't see us winning the next three to four games.

This defensive unit is making struggling offenses look like world beaters.
Well the refs didnt give up 33 points but they sure as **** helped with 9 or 10 of em. I'm not going to absolve the defense but I'm not letting these ****bags off the hook either

End of the game actually left me a little optimistic. Offense can still improve but when it comes down to it, the Brady Bunch will execute. Take away the penalties and the defense showed up big in the last two possessions. We're 2-2 and still in the afce. Bills will lose 2 or 3 of the next 3. Keep getting better and "There's always this year"

Mike Loyko‏ @NEPD_Loyko 40s40 seconds ago
Gilmore far from the only one, Butler, Chung, Rowe, McCourty were all absolutely brutal. E. Roberts isn't a NFL LB, and they have 1.5 rusher

Ugh

Anyone blaming the refs is being delusional.

This loss was on the terrible Defense, and namely one Mr. Gilmore.

He was terrible for the Bills, some on here who closely follow football predicted he would bring all his faults here, and just four games in were starting to see it, costly penalties, gives up on plays, blows coverage etc.

The defense is in a bad way right now, the soft part of the schedule is over, now we're facing a murderers row of teams and with this defense I legit don't see us winning the next three to four games.

This defensive unit is making struggling offenses look like world beaters.
Yup. I'm not spending one minute talking about poor reffing. That was just putrid, horrible, terrible, ugly, ****ty defense by the Patriots. Gilmore has been so bad this season, in particular. What's so frustrating about it is it seems like simply an issue of communication in the secondary. The lack of talent in the LB corp has become apparent. But the secondary is full of talent, mostly the same talent that won a SB. This is so uncanny.

Why did the offense take forever to tie the game? Seriously were they aware of the clock?

This team is in serious trouble. I mean serious. If anyone thinks Buffalo is foing away.....I got some news for yah.

Kony Ealey having a great game for the Jets

Never understood why he was cut. He appeared active and engaged after his initial struggles.

Who? Who is saying the defense is fine?

I made a post in the game thread saying this is the worst defense in the league and I had like 5 people disagree with my post. Statistically it is the worst defense in the league in people are in complete denial about it. Then we have people on here blaming the refs. It's pathetic.

Pathetic showing again by the defense, Pats D is like perfume for bad offense all of a sudden they don't stink no more when they play the Pats.

Offense was great today scoring 30 on the best defense in the league.

The last ranked defense did what they do against one of the bottom feeder offenses giving up 33 points. With some help from the refs.

Bottom line, lot of room to improve on defense. Brady did what he does cuz he is the GOAT. Can't have defense deciding they want to play football at 8 minute mark in 4th quarter. Need 60 minutes of these guys and right now they are getting 4.

Its week 4 and a lot can happen between now and December. I expect improvement. That includes the coaches, these players need to be put in a position to win.

Most of the issues are communication and Gilmore being a bust of a signing so far. I expect the former to get fixed. The latter? Time will tell. Butler has been the much, MUCH better corner if the two through 4 games.

And yet Butler will be gone next March and Gilmore will be here.

How is that a holding call on us on the last Car drive? Defense is allowed to toss a blocker...Wtf?
....another horrible call.

He needs to use better technique like Pedro. Nice and gentle..

Gilmore did actually hit the receiver in the head; maybe the official shouldn't have thrown the flag since it was away from the play, but it was a penalty. The defensive holding call on a run play was excessively stupid, but it didn't affect all that much. Gilmore should have been flagged. He also had a very rough game. I think he may have a fatal case of stupidity, to tell you the truth.

Thursday night's game will be weird. I think a lot of the problems facing the team right now are coaching, though. Offense is fine, but one or both of Patricia and Belichick have a complex when it comes to mobile QBs. They refuse to blitz them or allow ends to do anything but break contain. Without pressure, if the secondary doesn't hold up, guys like Smith, Watson, and Cam have had all the time in the world to beat them. Winston is prone to mistakes, they need to force him into them. But if they sit back and hope he does it for them, they're going to have to score every possession again if they want to win.

This team just isn't that good right now. Could easily be 1-3.
Fortunately they are not by the grace of Brady. I think he would have done it again given the opportunity. Still time to bounce back obviously. But the pressure is really on to do something about this defense. It is only four games but wow. They've e gotta shake things up somehow.

I told everyone during pre season that Gilmore is trash, I remember last season when he gave up on the play that Hogan burnt him on and started pointing fingers while Hogan wasn't in the endzone yet. Dude is straight garbo. Patriots should have won this game easily, refs completely held them back on offense 4 different times with stupid OPI and Holding penalties not even including the defense. Funny how Patriots get robbed by the same team when Gronk was held in the endzone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick