PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post game - instant reaction .....relatively

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am huge on what Easley will bring to this team. A 3-4 with Easley-Vince-Kelly in the middle sounds AWESOME!
I'm expecting to see that starting 3-4 front eventually too. It's going to be very tough to block.

I would put him there, but absent a 4-3 look in preseason, I'm trying to get our shiny new square peg into a well worn round hole.
I wouldnt worry about what you see in preseason.
BB is on record saying that evaluating DL is the same regardless of whether they are over a C G or T because the techniques are the same. So playing 3 300lbers together gets better evaluation that playing more outside guys where we seem to have a good idea what we have.
Whether or not Jones or Nink are standing up (which seems to be a game plan thing evidently based on whether the opponent throws short inside to the slot often from what I can gather) It will be the typical 43 personell in the base, and whether it is called 43 or 34 is immaterial.
The change, which would shock me completely if it carries in to the regular season is to use 3 300lbers together. (For sake of argument Easley would fit those guys because he is not an edge rusher) What you are doing is saying we are taking away one of our edge rushers (Jones or Nink) and dropping them into coverage to add a bigger body to become more stout vs the run, thereby diminishing the pass rush. The league, and BBs schemes have been moving in the opposite direction.
Does it makes sense to have Tommy Kelly on the field (or Easley, Vellano, Siliga, ChrisJones whoever is that 3rd big man) at the expense of taking one of the 2 best pass rushers and putting them in coverage? It doesn't to me.

I'm expecting to see that starting 3-4 front eventually too. It's going to be very tough to block.
Not to pass block, especially when one of the 2 best pass rushers on the field would be in coverage.

WENDELL/STORK
So, your position is that if Stork isn't ready to be the Game Day back immediately, he should placed on IR? The alternative is to carry Wendell until Stork is game ready, and perhaps make the decision after game 4. In this scenario, we would carry 9 OL's and cut down 8 if Stork is ready.

It wouldn't surprise to see one of Stork/Siliga/Chris Jones/etc on the final 53 then placed on the
IR/DFR list after week1.

I wouldnt worry about what you see in preseason.
BB is on record saying that evaluating DL is the same regardless of whether they are over a C G or T because the techniques are the same. So playing 3 300lbers together gets better evaluation that playing more outside guys where we seem to have a good idea what we have.
Whether or not Jones or Nink are standing up (which seems to be a game plan thing evidently based on whether the opponent throws short inside to the slot often from what I can gather) It will be the typical 43 personell in the base, and whether it is called 43 or 34 is immaterial.
The change, which would shock me completely if it carries in to the regular season is to use 3 300lbers together. (For sake of argument Easley would fit those guys because he is not an edge rusher) What you are doing is saying we are taking away one of our edge rushers (Jones or Nink) and dropping them into coverage to add a bigger body to become more stout vs the run, thereby diminishing the pass rush. The league, and BBs schemes have been moving in the opposite direction.
Does it makes sense to have Tommy Kelly on the field (or Easley, Vellano, Siliga, ChrisJones whoever is that 3rd big man) at the expense of taking one of the 2 best pass rushers and putting them in coverage? It doesn't to me.
I think it depends on whether BB values the 3-4 flexibility to send either Jones or Nink and keep the offense guessing. If so, I want to see Vince draw a double team and then drop into a shallow zone.[emoji15]

Didn't get to post this yesterday, but I watched the game and don't see why people are writing off Jordan Devey. The kid actually played extremely well for most of the game. Especially considering he was going up against Star Lotuleilei quite a bit. The one position he should not play is LT. That is where he was the worst. Yes, he had the 1 misque where he stepped on Brady's ankle and he got steam-rolled once by Lotuleilei, but beyond that he did extremely well. He should be a solid reserve lineman for the Pats.

And, as I said before, I can't see Wendell making this team unless Stork goes on the IR.

If you are cutting Wendell, I assume that Connolly is starting at C.
If Devey is a reserve, who will play RG? Kline?
Who will be the back up C at the beginning of the season, since Stork couldn't possibly be game ready, after just a handful of practices could he? I mean mentally, with the calls, even more than physically, since he hasn't been out there learning or working on anything.

It wouldn't surprise to see one of Stork/Siliga/Chris Jones/etc on the final 53 then placed on the
IR/DFR list after week1.
Why did you specify after week 1?

I think it depends on whether BB values the 3-4 flexibility to send either Jones or Nink and keep the offense guessing. If so, I want to see Vince draw a double team and then drop into a shallow zone.[emoji15]

I just don't see how 'flexibility' overrides the dilemma of having one of your 2 best pass rushers in coverage.
The league has figured out how to pass block a 34 without knowing which OLB will rush or drop. That 'surprise' factor is useless.

Doesn't a player need to be on the 53 man squad to qualify for the IR-Return list?
I don't know, but you could do it after you cut to 53, and not wait until after game 1. I'm just curious what his thinking was.

DEVEY
I agree. For me, the question is whether he is our starting RG.

WENDELL/STORK
So, your position is that if Stork isn't ready to be the Game Day back immediately, he should placed on IR? The alternative is to carry Wendell until Stork is game ready, and perhaps make the decision after game 4. In this scenario, we would carry 9 OL's and cut down 8 if Stork is ready.

MG- Is English your 2nd language? Seriously. Because you make all these wild-ass assumptions about what people say.

If, by the cut-down to the 53 man roster, Stork isn't healthy, then the Pats have a decision to make. Do they carry an injured player on the 53? Do they put him on the short-term IR? or Do they end his season if the injury is severe enough that he won't be ready this season?

If Stork IS healthy by the cut-down to the 53-man roster, then I see Wendell being cut in favor of Stork.

Wendell, imho, played poorly last season and hasn't played all that well during pre-season. I don't believe he showed more than Cave or Barker in either his run-blocking or his pass-blocking. The Pats kept Barker as the 9th OL all last year. Barker was the #3 C behind Wendell and Connolly.

Also, there is the fact that Wendell's salary becomes guaranteed if he's on the 53 man roster for the 1st game.

The Pats NORMALLY carry 9 OL on the active roster, not 8. 8 has been the MINIMUM they've carried since Belichick took over. They carry 4 OTs and 5 Interior linemen. With the Pats using Kline during the last 2 games as Receiver Eligible for blocking situations, I definitely see them staying with the 9.

I just don't see how 'flexibility' overrides the dilemma of having one of your 2 best pass rushers in coverage.
The league has figured out how to pass block a 34 without knowing which OLB will rush or drop. That 'surprise' factor is useless.

I think it's over-rated, too, but BB probably has a dozen more schemes in his head than we do, so I don't want to discount what I'm seeing on the field. They'll likely switch in and out of 3-4 and 4-3 over the course of the season, sometimes over the course of a pre-snap look.

I'm thinking about week 1 against Miami, and I can see a 3-4 being used there to stop the run, and the surprise factor will probably get them a stop or two, due to the newness of their OL, a missing ProBowl center, and a young QB.

I think Beauharnis saved himself from being an immediate cut with his interception.

But throughout the preseason he has been late against the run and terrible against the pass. The willingness is there, but the NFL athleticism is not.

He was also saved by errant throws to wide open seam TEs by Cam Newton. If either connected it was a certain TD for the Panthers. WRT the backup LBs, I think Chris White shows he is a Larry Izzo, a superb ST player who should never see a single play on a regular defense. I think the Pats have found the fifth LB behind Hightower, Mayo, Collins and Anderson in Darius Flemming. J'gared not Knorris Davis certainly provided a big hit of the day as a MLB, too. I don't know which LB missed an assignment that had Duran crossing the entire width of the field trying to catch up with a wide open receiver, but someone messed up badly.

If Stork IS healthy by the cut-down to the 53-man roster, then I see Wendell being cut in favor of Stork.

I don't think BB relies a player based on his college resume and 4 practices. If he is healthy for week 4 of the pre-season, then that's a possibility, but getting healthy just in time for the season opener isn't going to be enough. There are 3 full pads practices and one game left before opening day. That's enough time to win a job, if he can do it, but just barely. In my mind, Stork missing more than one of those full-pads practices means Wendell gest the call.

I don't think Wendell's salary is large enough to factor in. It's about a $350K increase over whomever else is cut.

I don't know, but you could do it after you cut to 53, and not wait until after game 1. I'm just curious what his thinking was.

I could be wrong, but I ass-umed that a player had to be on the 53 during week 1 before being eligible
for the IR-DFR?

I could be wrong, but I ass-umed that a player had to be on the 53 during week 1 before being eligible
for the IR-DFR?

I'm also not sure of the rule. Thanks for clarifying your thinking.

Also, there is the fact that Wendell's salary becomes guaranteed if he's on the 53 man roster for the 1st game.
I think this is entirely insignificant.
Wendells salary is $800,000. The next guy in line would be around $500,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back