PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Who makes the roster at Tight End?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which Tight Ends Make the 2017 53-man roster

• Sam Cotton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jacob Hollister

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Matt Lengel

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • James O'Shaugnessy

Votes: 48 81.4%
  • None of the above (use Fleming at TE when needed)

• Both Hollister and Lengel

• Both Hollister and O'Shaugnessy

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Both Lengel and O'Shaugnessy

• The 3rd TE will be someone not on the current roster

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously Gronk and Dwayne Allen are roster locks.

Who do you think (and who do you want) to make the 53-man roster?

James O'Shaugnessy

Jacob Hollister

Matt Lengel

Sam Cotton

James O for me but as he's a top ST player I could see them keeping Hollister with a ST roster spot opened up by James O (meaning potentially 4 TE).

I'll be really surprised if we don't end up with 4. I'm not convinced Allen isn't a cut for no reason other than we've seen vets get cut before.

TE1 Gronk
TE2 Allen
TE3 Hollister or O'Shags
TE4 Not yet cut TE from another team.

I am a bit surprised how one-sided the poll is thus far.

After the first preseason game most fans and media members had Hollister listed in their roster projections.

Perhaps it is a case study in how recent events hold so much more weight than something further in the past, even if in this case the difference was just nine days.

Can I find a way to stash Hollister on the IR and let him put on 10 pounds and maybe rent a room from Gronk?

Make an interesting reality show.... a Boston version of Entourage as Gronk hangs at a Boston party mansion with Jacob Hollister as they lord it over there practice squad brothers Glenn and Cody around a bikini clad swimming pool..

After the first preseason game most fans and media members had Hollister listed in their roster projections.

Perhaps it is a case study in how recent events hold so much more weight than something further in the past, even if in this case the difference was just nine days.
Is Hollister injured lately, or is that the other Hollister?

I see absolutely no reason why he couldn't make his way through to the practice squad, but that's obviously just one guy's opinion. I think he's another case of a guy catching passes in the preseason who has been greatly overrated. While he may have potential, I don't know if he's the kind of guy who's catching the eye of the other 31 teams.

Is Hollister injured lately, or is that the other Hollister?

I see absolutely no reason why he couldn't make his way through to the practice squad, but that's obviously just one guy's opinion. I think he's another case of a guy catching passes in the preseason who has been greatly overrated. While he may have potential, I don't know if he's the kind of guy who's catching the eye of the other 31 teams.
I have not seen any reports of TE Jacob Hollister being injured. WR Cody Hollister missed some time early in camp with some sort of leg ailment, but did play last week.

Jacob Hollister got extended time in the first preseason game, creating a buzz. In the second game against Houston it was simply O'Shaugnessy's turn to get more reps (Hollister did get in for some plays later as well).

I have not seen any reports of TE Jacob Hollister being injured. WR Cody Hollister missed some time early in camp with some sort of leg ailment, but did play last week.

Jacob Hollister got extended time in the first preseason game, creating a buzz. In the second game against Houston it was simply O'Shaugnessy's turn to get more reps (Hollister did get in for some plays later as well).
I just think O'S is more polished in terms of experience and blocking. He also seemed to have a solid showing in the joint practices and HOU game in terms of pass catching ability. As we know, he offers ST value, too.

Hollister, like Carr, had a good game in week one, but seems to lack blocking ability and is quite raw. I think he'd really have to show the coaches something special in terms of his receiving to be considered, but of course there are still 2 games to be played, so only time will tell.

I just think O'S is more polished in terms of experience and blocking. He also seemed to have a solid showing in the joint practices and HOU game in terms of pass catching ability. As we know, he offers ST value, too.

Hollister, like Carr, had a good game in week one, but seems to lack blocking ability and is quite raw. I think he'd really have to show the coaches something special in terms of his receiving to be considered, but of course there are still 2 games to be played, so only time will tell.
If I recall correctly, O'Shaugnessy was a special teams standout and that was part of the appeal that led to the Pats trading for him.

In 2016 he ranked 5th on ST snaps for KC with 287 (64%). He also had 111 offensive snaps (11%).

It seems as though Hollister may be the best receiver of the group, Lengel the best blocker, and O'Shauhnessy the best all around (including ST value).

Or it's that the Patriots traded a draft pick for the guy, and he plays on ST, and the other two guys are UDFAs.

Or it's that the Patriots traded a draft pick for the guy, and he plays on ST, and the other two guys are UDFAs.
I don't know if the fact that the Patriots traded a late draft pick for one of the players factors in. Greg Lewis and Alex Smith are a couple examples in that category that never made it on to the 53-man roster.

I think Shags is clearly the #3 TE behind Gronk and Allen. Tough cut but I see Jacob Hollister as a PS guy for a year. The 2017 TE class was so Deep that Hollister wasn't even Drafted I say he makes the taxi squad easily. Also I think he needs to get a little Stronger a year on the taxi squad could fix that.

James O'Shaugnessy running away with poll.:cool: Shags looks like a solid move the chains guy who can sneak up on the Defense for a Big gainer from time to time.

I'm just gonna say it. Lengel > Hollister.

But they're both cut for O'Shaughnessy.

Is Dwayne Allen really a "lock"? Would his release be too much of a negative on the salary cap? Just a question. Not saying I think he'll be cut.

Is Dwayne Allen really a "lock"? Would his release be too much of a negative on the salary cap? Just a question. Not saying I think he'll be cut.
$4.5 million is guaranteed, $500k is non-guaranteed roster bonuses. He'd be at risk if he were the 4th best tight end or some major locker room problem, but so far all I'm seeing is that some people are concerned that he may only be an average #2 and not an elite #2.

$4.5 million is guaranteed, $500k is non-guaranteed roster bonuses. He'd be at risk if he were the 4th best tight end or some major locker room problem, but so far all I'm seeing is that some people are concerned that he may only be an average #2 and not an elite #2.

Yeah, I sense that but with all the targets on this team who gives a ****. And he is a proven elite blocker. And a healthy Allen is probably about equal if not better than a gimpy Bennett. And then there is this Gronk guy as a position upgrade.

We dont need an elite second TE. This isnt 2013.

There would be $4,500,000 in dead money on the Patriots' salary cap.

If it came down to just that, the Pats could absorb the hit. I just don't think they would give up on him this soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes