PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Who makes the roster at Tight End?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which Tight Ends Make the 2017 53-man roster

• Sam Cotton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jacob Hollister

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Matt Lengel

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • James O'Shaugnessy

Votes: 48 81.4%
  • None of the above (use Fleming at TE when needed)

• Both Hollister and Lengel

• Both Hollister and O'Shaugnessy

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Both Lengel and O'Shaugnessy

• The 3rd TE will be someone not on the current roster

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted for O'Shank. I really like Hollister too. My sense is the Jets will put in claim so not sure he can make it through to the PS. This year should be really interesting as the cut down is very different from previous seasons. It's going to be a free for all. The Pats are unlucky to be playing on a Thursday but I'll take that every year please. Nick Caserio will be earning his money that week, and Bill will be "very stressed out" with the prep work for the Chiefs and roster management.

There would be $4,500,000 in dead money on the Patriots' salary cap.

If it came down to just that, the Pats could absorb the hit. I just don't think they would give up on him this soon.

He can't be any worse than Ochocinco.

Belichick loves his TE's but 4 plus a fullback is pretty close to mathematically impossible.

I dunno.

53 players on the active roster.
-4 Tight Ends
-1 FB
=====
48 spots still available.

I think the math checks out!

We've carried high numbers at a position before, and a lot of this is based on a completely baseless suspicion of mine that we don't know if Allen will pan out. Hard to go into the regular season with an oft-injured TE1 and a vet questionmark at TE2 and a UFA at TE3.

If we can pick up another vet then I think 3 is our number, but if the right candidate doesn't hit the waiver wire Gronk/Allen/One more from the Hollister/Lengel/O'Shagnasty group seems like a really dicey proposition for a team that loves its TEs.

5 WR 3 TE 3 or 4 RB and a FB would be the norm I think.

In 2015 they had 3 RB on the roster....granted injuries.

The problem this year is that they are so deep in these positions. I see 5 WR likely plus slater. 3 TE is probable but I don't think you can do all that and keep the 4 RB and the FB

Something has to give.

I dunno.

-4 Tight Ends
-1 FB
=====

I think the match checks out!

We've carried high numbers at a position before, and a lot of this is based on a completely baseless suspicion of mine that we don't know if Allen will pan out. Hard to go into the regular season with an oft-injured TE1 and a vet questionmark at TE2 and a UFA at TE3.

If we can pick up another vet then I think 3 is our number, but if the right candidate doesn't hit the waiver wire Gronk/Allen/One more from the Hollister/Lengel/O'Shagnasty group seems like a really dicey proposition for a team that loves its TEs.
I get what you're saying, but that's a lot of speculating. If Gronk gets injured, if Allen doesn't work out, if O'Shag doesn't work out...

They still have Devlin taking up some TE responsibilities, can use Fleming in jumbo packages, can likely get Hollister to the PS, and would have Lengel on speed dial.

Christ, man, you wanna field a team of all TEs. :cool:

I dunno.

-4 Tight Ends
-1 FB
=====

I know we had 4 TE's before, but wasn't that when Develin was on IR?

Gronk, Chandler, Hooman, and Williams??

It's not speculating it's about the team's comfort level with a regularly-injured TE1 and an unknown @ TE2. I mean I could be wrong I'm not saying this is what I want, either, it's just me trying to guess what the team might do.

This is definitely a much closer decision than the poll make it appear. But I think the consensus is correct, in a close call situation, favor the most versatile guyy who can help in the greatest number of ways and that is O'S.

I dunno.

-4 Tight Ends
-1 FB
=====

I ****ing love your sig pic btw lol!

Yeah, I sense that but with all the targets on this team who gives a ****. And he is a proven elite blocker. And a healthy Allen is probably about equal if not better than a gimpy Bennett. And then there is this Gronk guy as a position upgrade.

We dont need an elite second TE. This isnt 2013.

Agreed.

We might have the deepest WR & RB corps in the league. Not to mention QB & Secondary.

Tough year for "bubble" guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick