PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(Poll): Preferred divisional opponent: Texans, Chargers, or Ravens? edit: Sun Jan 13 @1:05 PM

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who is your preferred divisional round opponent for the Patriots?

• Texans

Votes: 95 70.9%
  • Ravens

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Chargers

Votes: 15 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think L.A. is going to be win by at least two scores. I get it that it's in Baltimore and it should be cold, etc., but defense and ground games travel.
It'll be interesting to see how Gordon looks and how healthy he is. I agree that they should win either way because they're just more talented pretty much across the board. I don't think last week was a fluke, but I don't think expect it to be replicated either. I also think their defense is good enough to go into KC and keep the score manageable in the divisional round.

Texans.

1) Their defense is worse than Baltimore and their QB is worse than Luck. BOB is the worst HC in the playoffs.
2) It would leave Baltimore and LAC for KC. Both extremely difficult matchups for the Chiefs.

The Ravens have a good defense and a good running game. They've beaten the Chargers on the road and almost upset the Chiefs. They have an experienced coach (who also happens to be a whiny *****). They're not to be taken lightly.

If we face them, I imagine Belichick will try to make Jackson beat them with passing. I don't think Jackson is good enough to do that. I don't think the Ravens WR's are particularly good. I think we win that matchup.

Seattle averaged 160 rushing yards/game in 2018, best in the league.

The Ravens lowest rushing total in the seven games since Jackson became the starter is 159 yards. The Chargers #9 rushing defense (yds/game allowed) "held" them to that two weeks ago. In the other six games, the Ravens averaged 226.

That's extreme, not merely "good".

In the Chargers game, Jackson completed 12 of 22 (55%) for 204 yards (9.3 yds/att), and 1 TD. Just good enough. The Ravens offense scored 16, even while Justin Tucker missed two FGs.

So, yeah, I'm sure the plan will be to force Jackson to throw by stopping the Ravens' ground game. I'm just not sure the Pats D can do that AND keep Jackson from throwing "just good enough" to win.

Another added benefit of playing Texans is an extra night of preparation for specific opponent.

Seattle averaged 160 rushing yards/game in 2018, best in the league.

The Ravens lowest rushing total in the seven games since Jackson became the starter is 159 yards. The Chargers #9 rushing defense (yds/game allowed) "held" them to that two weeks ago. In the other six games, the Ravens averaged 226.

That's extreme, not merely "good".

In the Chargers game, Jackson completed 12 of 22 (55%) for 204 yards (9.3 yds/att), and 1 TD. Just good enough. The Ravens offense scored 16, even while Justin Tucker missed two FGs.

So, yeah, I'm sure the plan will be to force Jackson to throw by stopping the Ravens' ground game. I'm just not sure the Pats D can do that AND keep Jackson from throwing "just good enough" to win.

But the only team non-bullsh*t team they beat in those 7 games was the Chargers and it took a flukey fumble by Gates to do it. I think the Chargers have at least a 50-50 shot at winning the WC game in Baltimore making this discussion moot.

I think L.A. is going to be win by at least two scores. I get it that it's in Baltimore and it should be cold, etc., but defense and ground games travel.

Sorry, but do you predict LA or Baltimore is going to win?

Another added benefit of playing Texans is an extra night of preparation for specific opponent.

They get to prepare for the same amount of time against us as we do against them.

I agree that's what Belichick would like to do to the Ravens. That's what everyone wants to do and tries to do, it's no secret that Jackson can't beat you passing and they keep winning with their ground game anyway because it's good enough to win with even when it's expected. The issue, in my eyes, is that I'm not sure the Pats have the personnel to force the Ravens out of their element. Marshall Yanda is nearly guaranteed to dominate whichever DT he lines up across from, and in general I hate the line matchup for us. The one thing I will say for us is that I think our LBs could hold up better than most, but it won't matter so much if our DTs are being consistently blown off the line.

Let's hope that the Patriots have the personnel to do this or we have a real problem. If they're our divisional round matchup, let's hope the extra week of rest and prep gives us an edge and that the Chargers at least beat them up a bit in the WC round.

They get to prepare for the same amount of time against us as we do against them.
True, but if you think our coaches and preparation process is better, then an extra 20 hours might help. Also, when coaches watch the indy/Houston game live they will be 100% locked in on Houston. Watching Balt/LAC they will have attention split 50/50.

HOU

I think KC is somewhat overrated (wins against winning teams: Chargers and Steelers with Hunt and Watkins, a flukie win in Baltimore). BAL or LAC has best chance of ensuring an AFC championship game in Foxboro. There is no doubt we are far better at home this season. Don’t want to play on the road.

C0rrect. Everyone should be looking for Houston over here so that Chargers or Ravens can go out to KC and beat them up. If

Sorry I misread your original post. The same argument about the defense and running game applies to both teams (in my view)...that’s why I got confused.

Last edited:
Sorry I misread your original post. The same argument about the defense and running game applies to both teams (in my view)...that’s why I got confused.
No worries lol.

Texans because whoever wins between LAC/BAL is going to go into KC and beat the Chiefs.

Texans because whoever wins between LAC/BAL is going to go into KC and beat the Chiefs.

Exactly how I feel. I don’t know about the Patriots matching up, but I think the Ravens and Chargers can win at Arrowhead and it wouldn’t be surprising. Meanwhile I think the Colts would get slaughtered there...they are pretenders as always.

Baltimore has a better shot than LAC. I don't like how LAC are playing now. Need to root for Houston and Baltimore this weekend. BTW, can you guys believe that Lamar Jackson is just 21 years old? It's asking a lot from him to win one or 2 games for us.

Exactly how I feel. I don’t know about the Patriots matching up, but I think the Ravens and Chargers can win at Arrowhead and it wouldn’t be surprising. Meanwhile I think the Colts would get slaughtered there...they are pretenders as always.

I don't agree that the Colts are pretenders, I think they're doing a lot of stuff right. It's not Grigson's comedy hour over there anymore.

But I absolutely agree that the Colts would lose in KC. The Ravens are the Ravens they're not going to be intimidated in Arrowhead. And the Chargers know the Chiefs as well as anyone.

I just think the Colts don't have whatever it takes to get past the crowd, etc in Arrowhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes