PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(Poll): Preferred divisional opponent: Texans, Chargers, or Ravens? edit: Sun Jan 13 @1:05 PM

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who is your preferred divisional round opponent for the Patriots?

• Texans

Votes: 95 70.9%
  • Ravens

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Chargers

Votes: 15 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly how I feel. I don’t know about the Patriots matching up, but I think the Ravens and Chargers can win at Arrowhead and it wouldn’t be surprising. Meanwhile I think the Colts would get slaughtered there...they are pretenders as always.

The Colts can put up points, which is how teams beat the Chiefs this year. The Chiefs never scored fewer than 26 points in a game this season. The Ravens held them to 24 in regulation, which was their season low, but couldn't stop them in overtime.

In order to beat the Chiefs, teams scored 43, 54, 29 and 38 points. And, even with those points given up, 3 of those 4 losses were still lost by 3 points or fewer.

I saw a lot of posts on the Week 17 games thread talking about how Baltimore didn't look that good and how they aren't scaring anyone during their game with the Browns. Now I'm seeing a lot of posts about how their running game is just deadly and the Patriots might not have the personnel to handle it, even in Foxborough. I'm so confused, which is it? lol

Also, I must be missing something with Houston. I figured they still had a nasty pass rush and Watson has a pretty good arm and is also pretty athletic. Is it the successful history with them or am I overrating them? I also thought Baltimore would be the team people would want to play most because they have the most inexperienced QB and the most one-dimensional offense of the 3. Could someone please inform me?

I saw a lot of posts on the Week 17 games thread talking about how Baltimore didn't look that good and how they aren't scaring anyone during their game with the Browns. Now I'm seeing a lot of posts about how their running game is just deadly and the Patriots might not have the personnel to handle it, even in Foxborough. I'm so confused, which is it? lol
Lol no one here is watching Baltimore.

Their run game is pretty crazy though. Power/Zone Read, QB Power/Read.

Jackson will never be Brady or Brees. He absolutely can throw well enough & is only 21 who was tossed into the position mid-season. Darnold is 21 I believe or right around there. All these QB's flashed heavy or really showed something this year. Definitely passed all rookie tests.

I hope we get to see him & Baker for a long time though.

The Browns put up over 400 yards of offense against the vaunted Ravens D. The Browns. The Browns. In Baltimore. The Browns. Bring um up and send them home.

I totally agree. I don't understand the Ravens fear. Yeah from 2009 to 2014 they were one tough out, even beating us a couple times. But that's ancient history, that defense is long gone. Two completely different teams. Their running game is something to be wary of, but a gimmicky offense shouldn't be that scary. BB knows how to take teams out of their element better than anyone. If Jackson has to throw, I love our chances against them. Like you said, Cleveland, in a must-win game for Baltimore, IN Baltimore, completely torched the Ravens defense.

I agree that divisions matter.
But Records matter also.
Huge diffenrece between 12-4 and 10-6.
For a team to go 12-4 and have to start the playoffs on the road as a rarity.

In 2008 the 11-5 Pats didn't make the playoffs but the 8-8 Chargers did and hosted the 12-4 Indiots, handing PEDton one of his nine one and done playoff losses. I'd laugh in the face of any Bolts fan who had issues with it now.

The 4 team division setup is a joke and I pray each year to see another .500 team make the playoffs while a better team sits home.

I totally agree. I don't understand the Ravens fear. Yeah from 2009 to 2014 they were one tough out, even beating us a couple times. But that's ancient history, that defense is long gone. Two completely different teams. Their running game is something to be wary of, but a gimmicky offense shouldn't be that scary. BB knows how to take teams out of their element better than anyone. If Jackson has to throw, I love our chances against them. Like you said, Cleveland, in a must-win game for Baltimore, IN Baltimore, completely torched the Ravens defense.

Pats run D is one of the worst in the league and the Pats offense is inconsistent (capable of one or two great drives and then 2 quarters of 3 and outs). Ravens offense plays to the Pats weakness and the Pats offense doesn’t look good enough to put up many points on a tough D

Pats could certainly beat Baltimore but any team that can run well should be feared. The Pats D would get shredded on the ground by Baltimore which keeps the clock moving and the ball out of Brady’s hands

Pats run D is one of the worst in the league and the Pats offense is inconsistent (capable of one or two great drives and then 2 quarters of 3 and outs). Ravens offense plays to the Pats weakness and the Pats offense doesn’t look good enough to put up many points on a tough D

Pats could certainly beat Baltimore but any team that can run well should be feared. The Pats D would get shredded on the ground by Baltimore which keeps the clock moving and the ball out of Brady’s hands
That's what concerns me most about the Ravens. I definitely want the Texans here for the divisional round.

My preferred PO opponents, in order:
Colts
Chargers
Texans
Ravens
@ Chiefs

One of the most impressive stats I’ve ever seen
(if true.)

I'm surprised at how difficult a choice this has been for me. From a purely Patriots game play perspective, it's Houston without hesitation. But, when I factor in the team going up against the Chiefs, I start leaning towards wanting the Colts to upset the Texans, and the Patriots facing the Chargers.

So, basically, I've gotten it down to "Not the Ravens", at this point.

Colts it is. So, go Chargers!

Bring on Baltimore. I would love to see another Pats W against Harbawl and the classless Ravens. Telling ya, the stars are aligning to give us a chance at revenge for throwing us under the bus to cover for their failures. Colts too. Hoping in this case they make it past KC so we can have another crack at them too. Especially in more inclimate weather

I agree that divisions matter.
But Records matter also.
Huge diffenrece between 12-4 and 10-6.
For a team to go 12-4 and have to start the playoffs on the road as a rarity.

The 12-4 Jags came to Foxboro in 05 and lost to the 10-6 Pats.

The reality is that this year the afc field is wide open in which you could have looked at any of the six teams and made a solid case for why they would make it to the super bowl.

LA and BAL are no joke, do I think the pats can win? Certainly, but their odds of winning would top out at 60% for either matchup.

Sure many point to our home record as the main point for victory. It’s important, but does not guarantee victory. The pats were undefeated at home in 2009 and 2010 only to lose a home playoff game each year.

If we get the ravens I could easily see us having 8 in the box and Gilmore and Jackson playing man to man coverage.

With the chargers you never know what Philip Rivers turns up or which chargers team turns up. Do you get the outstanding one or the bang average bottle jobs

The 12-4 Jags came to Foxboro in 05 and lost to the 10-6 Pats.

Wow, forgot that team was 12-4. We destroyed them too, one of the most dominant playoff wins weve had

Wow, forgot that team was 12-4. We destroyed them too, one of the most dominant playoff wins weve had

Ya, I don’t have the stats in front of me but i’d Bet that more often than not the 5 seed has a better record than the 4. After all that’s just saying that the second best team in one division is more likely to be the better than the worst division winner.

Yes we did. The Jags were no joke either they beat both the Super Bowl champ Steelers and the NFC Champ Seahawks and also held the Manning Colts to just 10 points with Manning throwing for only 122 yards.

And then the Pats lost to Jake Plummer in Denver. :confused:

Denver has always been a difficult place to play in for us. Even in the Bledsoe days I remember having to go there and the offense just couldn't do anything vs the Denver D so we could keep up with the Elway/Davis tandem.

Just the way it is I suppose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots