PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(Poll): Preferred divisional opponent: Texans, Chargers, or Ravens? edit: Sun Jan 13 @1:05 PM

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who is your preferred divisional round opponent for the Patriots?

• Texans

Votes: 95 70.9%
  • Ravens

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Chargers

Votes: 15 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
All Defenses in this league are suspect. I like the way the Pats are heading. Yes ,the Texan defense sounds formidable but we are outdoors in January at home. Go PATS
If there is any year to have one of the best pass defenses in BB's tenure, its this one.

What does, "Throw well enough when he needs to." mean? Hes the worst passing QB in the playoffs. 6-7 in the box all day.

Check out his 3rd down passing. Sorry but he hasn't earned his stripes as a passing Qb in the NFL yet.

Lamar Jackson

I'm not trying to make him into a "passing QB" at all. And, yes, he certainly is the worst passer in the playoffs.

Folks seems to be completely dismissive of the Ravens offense simply because Jackson isn't on a par with most other NFL QBs, much less other starting QBs, much less playoff QBs. It's what the Ravens' offense does overall, especially in combination with their defense, that makes the Ravens a challenge. Jackson is a significant part of that.

Why? Divisions matter. Division games are worth more. To me this is more interesting that just ranking the entire conference by record. You're not alone but if that's your take then dissolve the divisions. I hope they leave it as is.

I agree that divisions matter.
But Records matter also.
Huge diffenrece between 12-4 and 10-6.
For a team to go 12-4 and have to start the playoffs on the road as a rarity.

I'm not trying to make him into a "passing QB" at all. And, yes, he certainly is the worst passer in the playoffs.

Folks seems to be completely dismissive of the Ravens offense simply because Jackson isn't on a par with most other NFL QBs, much less other starting QBs, much less playoff QBs. It's what the Ravens' offense does overall, especially in combination with their defense, that makes the Ravens a challenge. Jackson is a significant part of that.
I agree the Ravens are a challenge but not a legit threat to make the SB.

BAL has averaged 25ppg in his starts and allowed 18.1. They've won in LAC and played KC tough. He averaged about ~245yards of total offense in his starts. I'd be OK with that if it were Tom and the NEP.

I think in the playoffs and to make the SB a team needs to be able to make plays in the passing game consistently. That is not something Jackson has shown....yet.

I agree the Ravens are a challenge but not a legit threat to make the SB.

BAL has averaged 25ppg in his starts and allowed 18.1. They've won in LAC and played KC tough. He averaged about ~245yards of total offense in his starts. I'd be OK with that if it were Tom and the NEP.

I think in the playoffs and to make the SB a team needs to be able to make plays in the passing game consistently. That is not something Jackson has shown....yet.

It's not just the yards. When the Ravens offense has the ball, they drain clock (6th-best 3rd-down conversion rate in the league). When they don't, the defense gets it back for them quickly (#3 3rd-down defense in the league).

Over the past seven games, the Ravens' ToP advantage has averaged 36.5 minutes to 23.4 minutes - best in the league.

Jackson alo has the best RPO fake I've seen among the QBs who use it extensively. And, unlike the others, he's a legit RB himself. The biggest downside is that his mesh-point moves have generated a lot of fumbles (unforced errors).

Every team in the league has some sort of flaw, but the funny thing is, the Patriots probably have the least obvious flaw. NE's big advantage, at least to me, is experience and the fact that teams see that flying Elvis logo, with Brady and Belichick staring them down, they get nervous. I think that matters, the Patriots still scare people just from being the Patriots. If we stop the run, and move the ball fairly consistently, I see no reason why we can't get back to the Super Bowl, no matter who we play. We just have to play like we can. NE always shows up this time of year. It'll take an outstanding effort to defeat them, especially in Foxborough. Of those three teams, I'd probably welcome Baltimore the most, then Houston, then Los Angeles. Baltimore runs well, but I feel that with a rookie QB, their offense is a bit one-dimensional. Houston has looked good, but their O-line is porous and Watson will have to do it all himself. They can pressure Brady, but he's had pretty good luck against Houston over the years, especially at Gillette. The Chargers are a big ? for me. They have some nasty pass rushers and Rivers has some definite weapons out there, but they've never been able to put it all together. It'll be interesting to see what happens. But at home, I like our chances against anyone.

IF we get past the divisional round, there's a 50/50 chance we go to Arrowhead (I'm not convinced KC doesn't blow it in the divisional round, especially if they draw Indianapolis. But I think Baltimore and the Chargers can take them too.) I now we've been lackluster on the road this year, but the playoffs, to me at least, are a much different animal. KC will have all the pressure in the world on them this year. They would be FAVORED against any team they play, even the Patriots. For those comparing this year to 2013 or 2015 when we played Denver, this is very different. In 2013 we went into that game walking completely wounded, and Denver had that ridiculous offense and a pretty good defense too. In 2015, Brady had no offensive line and only Gronkowski to make plays...literally nothing else. That 2015 Broncos defense, along with the Legion of Boom, is the best defense the NFL has seen since the 2002 Bucs. They were an all-time unit that completely suffocated the 15-1 Panthers in the Super Bowl that year. We were a 2 pt conversion away from overtime against that 2015 Broncos team, with Brady, Gronk, a swiss cheese O-Line and literally nothing else. We have a decent shot at getting to another SB this year, play the way we can, solid Patriots complimentary football, and we can get to the big game for the 11th time :)

This is a tough choice but I went with the Texans because we usually match up well against them (although the argument against that is, they're due to get one against us), and O'Brien is usually good for some coaching mistakes against BB. That being said, maybe San Diego would be better because they'd have to travel cross-country for the 2nd week in a row (or stay on the east coast all week, throwing them off schedule). Or maybe the Ravens would be better because they have a rookie QB and those don't tend to play well against a BB defense, especially one that has been improving as of late. AAARRGGGHH! Just get to the games already!

It's not just the yards. When the Ravens offense has the ball, they drain clock (6th-best 3rd-down conversion rate in the league). When they don't, the defense gets it back for them quickly (#3 3rd-down defense in the league).

Over the past seven games, the Ravens' ToP advantage has averaged 36.5 minutes to 23.4 minutes - best in the league.

Jackson alo has the best RPO fake I've seen among the QBs who use it extensively. And, unlike the others, he's a legit RB himself. The biggest downside is that his mesh-point moves have generated a lot of fumbles (unforced errors).
Alot of their 3rd down success on O is the RPO and run. His 3rd down passing is below average.

His fake is obscene. I admit facing that is scary.

Jackson's a gimmick, right now. He's a running back playing QB for a team where that works. He'll have to develop moving forward, and his current skill set and skill level would be useless for most other teams in the league.

Texans pretty much by default. Not because I think it's easy but because I think the Ravens or Chargers would be especially tough.

My least favorite outcome is facing the Ravens, I think they're an especially bad matchup for us.

Jackson's a gimmick, right now. He's a running back playing QB for a team where that works. He'll have to develop moving forward, and his current skill set and skill level would be useless for most other teams in the league.

Totally agreed: the offense is a gimmick. Teams will catch up and adjust. Sam Diego will see it a second time in 3 weeks. That’s a factor

I'm not saying that Jackson is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm simply not willing to be dismissive.

Jackson can throw well enough when he needs to. He simply hasn't needed to very often since becoming a starter.

Jackson's own rushing yds/game over the past 7 weeks would make him 3rd in the league, behind only Elliott and Gurley. His ypa for the last 7 weeks is right up there with Barkley and McCaffery. As a team, the Ravens have been averaging 217 yds/game rushing over the past 7 weeks (132/gm, not including Jackson).

The Ravens offense isn't "unstoppable", but its not as if the Pats defense can leave their "A-game" in the locker room, especially their run-D and QB-contain.

Meanwhile, the Ravens defense has still been top-5 against both the run AND the pass.

The Ravens have a good defense and a good running game. They've beaten the Chargers on the road and almost upset the Chiefs. They have an experienced coach (who also happens to be a whiny *****). They're not to be taken lightly.

If we face them, I imagine Belichick will try to make Jackson beat them with passing. I don't think Jackson is good enough to do that. I don't think the Ravens WR's are particularly good. I think we win that matchup.

Texans pretty much by default. Not because I think it's easy but because I think the Ravens or Chargers would be especially tough.

My least favorite outcome is facing the Ravens, I think they're an especially bad matchup for us.

If we had a single DT on the roster worth a damn, I would love to play them. But we don't. So even though Jackson, at this point, is a one read and go QB, they would be a very tough out for us. And that's not even examining our O vs. their D.

Totally agreed: the offense is a gimmick. Teams will catch up and adjust. Sam Diego will see it a second time in 3 weeks. That’s a factor

I might be alone on this, but I think L.A. will hammer them. Gordon will be three weeks healthier and they should have a better game plan against him this time around.

I might be alone on this, but I think San Diego will hammer them. Gordon will be three weeks healthier and they should have a better game plan against him this time around.

I don’t know if they’ll hammer them. But I’m leaning toward San Diego here. Interested to see when LA will arrive in Baltimore. 1 o clock game on the east coast

I don’t know if they’ll hammer them. But I’m leaning toward San Diego here. Interested to see when LA will arrive in Baltimore. 1 o clock game on the east coast

I think L.A. is going to be win by at least two scores. I get it that it's in Baltimore and it should be cold, etc., but defense and ground games travel.

Hunter Henry is going to play for the chargers, I wonder how much of a factor he will be

The Ravens have a good defense and a good running game. They've beaten the Chargers on the road and almost upset the Chiefs. They have an experienced coach (who also happens to be a whiny *****). They're not to be taken lightly.

If we face them, I imagine Belichick will try to make Jackson beat them with passing. I don't think Jackson is good enough to do that. I don't think the Ravens WR's are particularly good. I think we win that matchup.

I agree that's what Belichick would like to do to the Ravens. That's what everyone wants to do and tries to do, it's no secret that Jackson can't beat you passing and they keep winning with their ground game anyway because it's good enough to win with even when it's expected. The issue, in my eyes, is that I'm not sure the Pats have the personnel to force the Ravens out of their element. Marshall Yanda is nearly guaranteed to dominate whichever DT he lines up across from, and in general I hate the line matchup for us. The one thing I will say for us is that I think our LBs could hold up better than most, but it won't matter so much if our DTs are being consistently blown off the line.

I think L.A. is going to be win by at least two scores. I get it that it's in Baltimore and it should be cold, etc., but defense and ground games travel.

Strength on strength. Hard to beat a team twice in 3 weeks (really a 2 week span)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes