PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Marcus Jones -- how is he best used?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Where should Marcus Jones' talents be applied?

• Defensive back and PR/KR

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Slot receiver and PR/KR

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Utility man: PR/KR plus as needed on both sides of the ball

Votes: 31 50.0%

• Total voters
I seriously think we should shift him to a slot receiver. This was the thought I had today as well seeing him in the rookie team . For his size it might be difficult to do man coverage and might be limited to just zones and that too in middle of the field. If he can get some unique routes with his speed and making thornton stretch the field , we could potentially open up a lot of routes and make our TEs even more dangerous .
I agree. Between Marcus as a slot WR and an average QB, who needs a WR#1 and elite QB? Problems solved on offense. SB here we come.

Different wording on the poll, but the same basic question.

I think any talk of playing WR is premature until he runs an actual route. I know his catches were all behind the line of scrimmage, but did he even run down the field on the plays that he didn’t get the ball?

He even only had a handful of catches in high school, so he’s never been a true WR. Jack Jones, for example, caught a hundred balls in high school.

I don’t think he’s as raw on offense as some may think. His college coach thought he had route running skills to eventually be like Welker or amendola (but much more explosive). There were multiple scouting reports when he came out that his route running was very underrated. If given the time to develop on offense full time, he could be dynamite.

We all can agree that Marcus Jones is a rare (but raw) talent. He appears established at PR/KR based on his rookie-year performance; apart from return duties, he saw most action at defensive back with impressive cameos at receiver. My question is: on which side of the ball does he hold the most value going forward?

With the possible departure of Jakobi Meyers in free agency, an argument could be made for Jones settling in at slot receiver where his speed/quickness could make him a potent weapon. In fact, if he can develop as a route runner Jones' physical talents arguably are better suited to the slot than Meyers. But of course, Jones flashed at times at DB despite being undersized at 5-8/175. And he was drafted as a defensive back.

Personally, I'd like to see more of what Jones can do as receiver out of the slot, but an argument can be made for him developing at DB as well.
Leave M Jones @ CB and KR then Draft WR Nathaniel "Tank" Dell slightly Bigger player form the same school Houston. Dell picked up where Marcus Jones left off on St's great Return man and very good WR in the making.

Last edited:
He's a player....put him where he can help even if that is everywhere...

If we had 53 Marcus Joneses....we would be playing this weekend.

I understand the appeal of both-side-of-the-ball, but I don't see how you can get a full, reliable take on what he might be as a wr (an area of need for the team, many think) without giving him the full measure of reps and coaching at that [position. I'd give him a full year as wr/returner.; db only as really necessary.

Plagiarism?
No, I'm just pointing out that I asked this question a month ago, and it's interesting to see how the framing affects the results.

Different wording on the poll, but the same basic question.

I wasn't aware of that, wouldn't have posted this thread otherwise. Looks like the results in both are pretty much aligned

Plagiarism?

Please.

Why fix som

Defensive back and PR/KR​

He's 5-8" / 175 lbs.
Why fix something that isn't broken?
Coaching egos are talent killers. He's a frigging star right where he is.

20 snaps a game on D.

2-4 snaps on O

KR

PR
In the short term, this. He's a playmaker wherever he is, but looked pretty good at CB. Lets just not put him on dudes close to a foot taller than him. There are plenty of smaller quick/fast WR's in the league. Looking forward to see what he can do in 2023.

He'd be of greatest value as a WR. In a best case scenario he could be a Jaylen Waddle type weapon. That is also the lowest probability scenario, and even if it happened, the career arcs of Welker and Edelman suggest it would be a multi-year transition.

“I like to be defense, whether it’s slot or outside. I’m a defensive back first. However I can help the team after that -- offense or special teams -- I’m cool with that as well.” – Patriots 2022 third-round cornerback Marcus Jones, to the Jim Rome Show, when asked where he’d like to make the biggest impact in 2023

I havent been on here in a while and before I wrote my post I looked up Marcus Jones and Im here. My title was going to be IS THE NEW SLOT RECIEVER ON THE ROSTER. Yes, I think he can be that utility back, dime on defense and slot on offense. His ball ability and suddenness is special. If 2 of us can think so its not hard to imagine its possible in other peoples heads.

I havent been on here in a while and before I wrote my post I looked up Marcus Jones and Im here. My title was going to be IS THE NEW SLOT RECIEVER ON THE ROSTER. Yes, I think he can be that utility back, dime on defense and slot on offense. His ball ability and suddenness is special. If 2 of us can think so its not hard to imagine its possible in other peoples heads.
hmmmmm...very interesting.On a semi-related note,I'd like you to imagine what could be the biological cause of my wife's sudden case of peckertrax...she hasn't been out of the house except to get the daily mail at the end of the driveway...oh, and the milk bottles in the milk box...I'm stumped...:headscratch:
o_O

@rochrist you "ugh" my post... Tell me, when you dud that, do you realize they have the number 1 overall pick?

hmmmmm...very interesting.On a semi-related note,I'd like you to imagine what could be the biological cause of my wife's sudden case of peckertrax...she hasn't been out of the house except to get the daily mail at the end of the driveway...oh, and the milk bottles in the milk box...I'm stumped...:headscratch:
o_O

I'm stumped too, considering you don't even have a wife OR a milk box since milk no longer comes in bottles. But let's see what he says anyway.

Utility player in the mold of Devin Hester.
I'm going with slot WR and KR.. we know he can play at CB, but however I believe his value is greater for us with the ball in his hands.. he's has elite speed. BB when asked by a reporter about him not being used more on offense. He said he would've loved too ,but it was too much to ask for him to learn the entire WR playbook in season with all his other duties.

That speaks volumes.. expect to see MJ as our starting slot WR in my humble of opinions...

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back