PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Marcus Jones -- how is he best used?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Where should Marcus Jones' talents be applied?

• Defensive back and PR/KR

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Slot receiver and PR/KR

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Utility man: PR/KR plus as needed on both sides of the ball

Votes: 31 50.0%

• Total voters

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
We all can agree that Marcus Jones is a rare (but raw) talent. He appears established at PR/KR based on his rookie-year performance; apart from return duties, he saw most action at defensive back with impressive cameos at receiver. My question is: on which side of the ball does he hold the most value going forward?

With the possible departure of Jakobi Meyers in free agency, an argument could be made for Jones settling in at slot receiver where his speed/quickness could make him a potent weapon. In fact, if he can develop as a route runner Jones' physical talents arguably are better suited to the slot than Meyers. But of course, Jones flashed at times at DB despite being undersized at 5-8/175. And he was drafted as a defensive back.

Personally, I'd like to see more of what Jones can do as receiver out of the slot, but an argument can be made for him developing at DB as well.

Defensive back and PR/KR​

He's 5-8" / 175 lbs.

Utility player in the mold of Devin Hester.

Defensive back and PR/KR​

He's 5-8" / 175 lbs.

I've been thinking his (lack of) size weighs against more than spot duty at DB. Then it would seem wherever he plays he needs to add some muscle.

We all can agree that Marcus Jones is a rare (but raw) talent. He appears established at PR/KR based on his rookie-year performance; apart from return duties, he saw most action at defensive back with impressive cameos at receiver. My question is: on which side of the ball does he hold the most value going forward?

With the possible departure of Jakobi Meyers in free agency, an argument could be made for Jones settling in at slot receiver where his speed/quickness could make him a potent weapon. In fact, if he can develop as a route runner Jones' physical talents arguably are better suited to the slot than Meyers. But of course, Jones flashed at times at DB despite being undersized at 5-8/175. And he was drafted as a defensive back.

Personally, I'd like to see more of what Jones can do as receiver out of the slot, but an argument can be made for him developing at DB as well.
I don't know if calling him raw is fair, he's less experienced on offense, but he's a pretty polished cover guy and kick returner.

I don't know if calling him raw is fair, he's less experienced on offense, but he's a pretty polished cover guy and kick returner.

He played about a third of all defensive snaps.

Marcus Jones will play defensive back, run back punts, return kicks and maybe be a part of 15-20 offensive snaps for the season. And the most dependable Pats receiver since the Edelmans injury (Jakobi) will be back.

I think any talk of playing WR is premature until he runs an actual route. I know his catches were all behind the line of scrimmage, but did he even run down the field on the plays that he didn’t get the ball?

He even only had a handful of catches in high school, so he’s never been a true WR. Jack Jones, for example, caught a hundred balls in high school.

Last edited:
images

I think any talk of playing WR is premature until he runs an actual route. I know his catches were all behind the line of scrimmage, but did he even run down the field on the plays that he didn’t get the ball?

He even only had a handful of catches in high school, so he’sat never been a true WR.

Right. That's why I specified IF he can develop as a route runner, he'd be pretty intriguing from the slot. But it probably never will happen, I'm just dazzled by his speed/quickness and ball skills.

Id be happy with trading him to the bears for their first round pick... They need weapons and bonus for them, he's on a cheap rookie deal... But thats just me, ymmv

I seriously think we should shift him to a slot receiver. This was the thought I had today as well seeing him in the rookie team . For his size it might be difficult to do man coverage and might be limited to just zones and that too in middle of the field. If he can get some unique routes with his speed and making thornton stretch the field , we could potentially open up a lot of routes and make our TEs even more dangerous .

I seriously think we should shift him to a slot receiver. This was the thought I had today as well seeing him in the rookie team . For his size it might be difficult to do man coverage and might be limited to just zones and that too in middle of the field. If he can get some unique routes with his speed and making thornton stretch the field , we could potentially open up a lot of routes and make our TEs even more dangerous .

I've been having the same thoughts, thanks for articulating this. Again, it would seem to depend on whether Jones can hone instincts for route running -- he has elite speed/quickness plus good hands. The Pats were spoiled for years at slot WR with Welker and Edelman and nobody has totally fit the bill since. While Meyers is a good middle-of-field possession guy, he really isn't what you'd call a "natural" at slot receiver, just not fast/quick enough. And as you point out, Jones' DB potential is pretty situationally specific.

we could potentially open up a lot of routes and make our TEs even more dangerous .

A week at the Care Bear training camp would make our TE's more dangerous.

But I see what you're getting at.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back