Grogan was a beast, no?

• Beast

Votes: 55 90.2%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
grogan was a beast. no doubt about it. he had a laser sited cannon for an arm. and he was physically very tough. he was an excellent runner early in his career before injuries. he is the second best QB in Patriots history.

Love Grogan, but that is certainly arguable.

The seventies-eighties teams had GREAT defenses and John Hannah. Hannah basically made good and fair running backs great.

The seventies-eighties teams had GREAT defenses and John Hannah. Hannah basically made good and fair running backs great.

Hannah also made a fairly pedestrian Brian Holloway a boatload of money. He went to 3 Pro Bowls ('83-'85) in 5 years playing next to Hog, left after the '86 season and was out of the game 2 years (14 games) later after cashing in and taking the Raiders money.

Last edited:
Thank you

Just another memory of many.

Go Pats

Many good playiers in that period...Russ Francis as example...with Gronk and Coates the best TE in Pats history....Still Grogan is my top 3 after Brady and Bledsoe and before Eason and Parilli in my top 5

Last QB to call his own plays ...
I always thought he would make a great coach - he had other plans.
That's how you seperate the old time Pat's fans from the millenial crowd.

I hold Grogan to the same standard as I do Terry Bradshaw who is in my Top 5 GOAT.

Not great numbers but he led the huddle and won.
Apologies in advance if I am piling on (others have already responded); that is not my intent.

I just wanted to point out to all how very much football has changed, making comparisons from one decade to another in passer and receiving stats meaningless. To me the better stat comparison is to one's peers.

Grogan did indeed throw a lot of picks - even for his time. For six straight seasons he ranked among the top ten in the NFL in number of interceptions, from '75 - '80.

What is overlooked though is that Grogan was ranked in the top five in TD passes three times in that span - despite the very prolific and record setting running game.

- In '76 Grogan threw the 2nd most picks in the NFL, but was also 4th in TDs.
- In '77 he was again 2nd in picks, but was 5th in most touchdown passes.
- In '78 Grogan had the 3rd most picks - but also led the league in TD passes.

As a reminder, the Patriots ranked 2nd (2948 yards), 6th (2303 yards) and 1st (all-time NFL record 3165 yards) in rushing during that time.

Steve Grogan was not the most physically talented passed to make it to the NFL. His passing deficiencies are often overstated though.

One thing that can never be overstated is Grogan's grit, determination, motivation and leadership. For anybody that watched those clubs, there will always be a very special fondness for the '76-'78 Fairbanks/Grogan Patriot teams.
1978 team the all time NFL greatest rush team, like 3500 rushing yards, and without a single 1000 yard rusher (did it with 7 runners, including Grogan who had like 600)

1976 is when I remember really getting hooked because my dad had season tickets from 76-80 and I got to go to 2 home games a year.
Many good playiers in that period...Russ Francis as example...with Gronk and Coates the best TE in Pats history....Still Grogan is my top 3 after Brady and Bledsoe and before Eason and Parilli in my top 5
All due respect,

Drew Bledsoe over Steve Grogan?

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back