Grogan was a beast, no?

• Beast

Votes: 55 90.2%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
grogan was a beast. no doubt about it. he had a laser sited cannon for an arm. and he was physically very tough. he was an excellent runner early in his career before injuries. he is the second best QB in Patriots history.

Before he goes to bed at night Chuck Norris has his Mom check the closet for Steve Grogan

Sweet, the video even caught Joker standing up in his toque @ 1:28.

All the ***hats that crap on the 70s and 80s Pats did not pay attention.. for the most part..
I loved the Pats back then too, but to be honest, there was a lot to crap on about them. If that makes me an ***hat, then I'm guilty as charged.

Thanks for posting this.

The Chuck Fairbanks Patriots of 1976-1978 with Grogan at QB and that road grader OL of Hannah and Leon Gray were the teams that hooked me on Patriot football forever. That team destroyed the eventual SB Champion John Madden Raiders in Foxboro in the regular season in 1976.

Unfortunately we all know what happened in Oakland come playoff time. Too bad. That team deserved better. Good chance the Patriots would have won the Superbowl on our nation's bicentennial.

The 1978 squad deserved a better ending IMO as well, but alas, like the '76 team they were undone in the end too--albeit from self inflicted wounds and not Ben Dreith. I think that team still holds the record for most rushing yards in a season and, IIRC, Grogan contributed a bunch of them.

Great memories...beginning of my "Patriot lovely experience"

I was a huge Grogan fan, my issue then as it is now were the Int's... he finished his career with 182 TD's and 208 int's, compare to #12 505 TD's and 167 Int's.. the int's always seemed to come at an inopportune time, either that or my memory is off.. he was gutsy and probably cannot compare him to anyone currently playing. Grogan also missed a lot of games due to injury in the back half of his career, but cannot blame him for that as that was the way he played the game..

What has always befuddled me during this period is the forgetting of Darryl Stingley and his sacrifice on the field... that f..ing creep Jack Tatum (aka the assassin) did him wrong...

56-3 against Jete - One of the best days ever..
Yes, that was a great game. Grogan was a good quarterback but not a great one. He was great as a runner but his passing was inconsistent. He had some games when he couldn't control the ball and it would sail on him. It was like the ball would travel 15+yards and then lift up a couple feet. That kept him from truly being great.

I was a huge Grogan fan, my issue then as it is now were the Int's... he finished his career with 182 TD's and 208 int's, compare to #12 505 TD's and 167 Int's.. the int's always seemed to come at an inopportune time, either that or my memory is off..

Grogan was the type of QB who would bring a team to its highest levels, if there wasn't a ton of talent. That happened during his rookie season, when Plunkett was hurt, and he led a not ready Patriots team to like a 6-0 start. But Grogan was not the guy you would want if you had a Super Bowl team. He had a bad habit of throwing a stupid INT in the 4th quarter that really cost you.

It wasn't a coincidence that the year the Patriots made the Super Bowl was one when Eason was QB. I am not comparing the two, merely pointing out that the difference may have been that Eason would not kill them in big moments. Sort of what we have learned from BB football.

Grogan was the type of QB who would bring a team to its highest levels, if there wasn't a ton of talent. That happened during his rookie season, when Plunkett was hurt, and he led a not ready Patriots team to like a 6-0 start. But Grogan was not the guy you would want if you had a Super Bowl team. He had a bad habit of throwing a stupid INT in the 4th quarter that really cost you.

It wasn't a coincidence that the year the Patriots made the Super Bowl was one when Eason was QB. I am not comparing the two, merely pointing out that the difference may have been that Eason would not kill them in big moments. Sort of what we have learned from BB football.
Must disagree.

Most of those picks were injury related (6 @ Candlestick in the mud in'80)

Too many clutch wins vs. favored teams to count

Grogan was EXACTLY the guy you wanted if you had a Super Bowl team. Starting Eason over him destroyed our seasons, especially in '85 and '86.

BTW, like Bledsoe, Eason was a pick and sack machine, especially in big moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes