Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How would you grade the first two days of the draft?

• Total voters
On the talent around Mac, he had Smith, Harris a top OL and top coordinator. And Waddle for half a season.

Tua had Smith, Waddle, Jeudy, Ruggs, Harris, top OL and top coordinator. Mac was in a really good situation. But it was Tua (Mac for about 1/3 of 2019) who was in an insanely good situation.

Is this a new regime? From 2015-2020, we've drafted one all-pro, a punter. Few of our starters have come from our draftees over that period (3rd worst in the league). Often players are drafted a round or two earlier than anyone would think.

I'm not criticizing. No team has better results over the past two decades
====================================
We need what Pioli calls "rent control", good starters on rookie contracts.

this will happen when you’re holding on to situations like 40 plus year old QB’s ... you don’t have the time to train them.

Is there the same kind of detail provided about number of UDFA starters per team?

I like this draft. Hat tip to Kraft for his gentle whisper in Bill‘s ear at one of those Davio’s dinners. :oops:

Happy so far. Hope they go for a WR and CB next. In the mock draft simuator on www.pff.com, I picked Jaelon Darden from North Texas at 120. He is electric with the ball in his hands and is a threat to house it from everywhere. He totaled 19 touchdowns on 74 catches for 1,190 yards for North Texas this past season. Then took CB Tay Gowan from UCF at 177. Gowan only has one season of major college football under his belt back in 2019 before opting out this past season. That year he earned an 80.1 coverage grade and only allowed 20 receptions for 274 yards from 50 targets. They might need to trade up from 177 using it and a later pick to insure a decent CB is there. Other possibility is Thomas Graham CB from Oregon. Graham started since he was a true freshman for Oregon and was one of the best corners in the country as a sophomore and junior before opting out in 2020. He earned coverage grades of 79.8 and 82.9 with 19 pass breakups and five picks over that span.

Attachments

• pff_mock_results (30).png
    pff_mock_results (30).png
    141.4 KB · Views: 5
Draft the beast. Oh wait, we did, 2 of them.
But can they rush the... oh yeah, nm.

I'm not doing my draft rank parody b/c too many amped up draftnicks get their panties in a bunch then like 10 people laugh, plus they're stale as ****, just a bunch of name jokes, which you have to admit is fun. Mac being the actual opposite of Cam has been done, but I'd steal it.

That said, this was the draft where it stopped being "Whoa ho, that came out of nowhere, but we know better than to call out a Bill Belichick pick!"

We heard the noise about how this was going to be the "different approach" year, then BB went and had a conventional draft, that did end up addressing need in an on-the-nose way. That said, nobody could believe our man slid to 15 at QB, then we got a steal value wise with the 2nd pick. It was not the draft to get a DT, they said... except this one guy Barmore. And supposedly, he was another steal to get in the 2nd round. I will note that it's about time SOMEBODY phonetically spelled out how people actually say "Baltimore."

Then Ronnie Perkins in the third makes this truly look like a "new direction" or whatever kraft says.

On the soap opera front, combining a total of 5 data points - Kraft statement, the BB Collaboration Show, and 3 picks that make immediate coherent sense to the layman, doesn't it feel like maybe getting the groceries isn't the one-man (& one-dog) show it used to be? Like maybe someone said "Hey Bill, delegate a little, let go a little, spend a little extra time on Holliday..." HEY O had to work that in...

Anyway it's the kind of draft you gotta LOVE as a fan, none of this obscure Rutgers Water Polo standout longsnapper/safety/Rugby 11s midfielder/lax short sticker bullstuff. It helped that we only had a 3rd round pick confiscated this year, and an actual USE for our 1st rounder. A BIG use for it. So glad we white knuckled it and got (one of) our guys anyway. LOL at multiple no. 1s to move up within the first round (since it wasn't us.)

On the talent around Mac, he had Smith, Harris a top OL and top coordinator. And Waddle for half a season.

Tua had Smith, Waddle, Jeudy, Ruggs, Harris, top OL and top coordinator. Mac was in a really good situation. But it was Tua (Mac for about 1/3 of 2019) who was in an insanely good situation.
Mac had primo talent. Let’s keep it real. The fact that Tua was on an all star team doesn’t change that.

Mac had primo talent. Let’s keep it real. The fact that Tua was on an all star team doesn’t change that.

Yeah, like I said.

Yah Trevor Lawrence wasn’t on an insane team....neither was Justin fields. Clemson and Ohio stats ..nor trey lance, whose team won 8 of the last 9 national championships.
Knocking Jones because of the talent around him is a joke

Apparently the Jete know the deal... more of them are tweeting about Zach Wilson's mom than anything.

I love how gimmick free this draft is. Bill isn't making contrarian "who the hell is that?" picks or trading out of the top rounds, he's just taking highly regarded prospects at positions of need.

They might still bust of course, but it's refreshing to have a draft that makes sense in a straightforward way.

Burrow had at least as much talent as Mac if not more. Don't hear a damn about that.

When Kraft said they were changing up their approach this year.
I did not know he meant they were going to start listening to us!
****e I wonder if Kraft and BB :)are going to join this great site
Looking out for “RubandTug” and “BundleofJoy”

Time will tell if Jonsey can deal with non-Top Offensive weapons and a OL that is not elite. In addition to NE's winter weather!

BTW - Wonder if Brady is pissed that they drafted a QB, Kyle Trask?

Apparently the Jete know the deal... more of them are tweeting about Zach Wilson's mom than anything.
They're talking about their QB's mom, we're talking about our QB's nipples. What to make of that, I don't know.

Is this the Yankees?

Nah Jah, it's not the yankees.

I don't care how long his or anyone's hair is. If you want an image earn it on the field.

Nah Jah, it's not the yankees.

I don't care how long his or anyone's hair is. If you want an image earn it on the field.
I think he just needs to get better at run defense. Based on the 1 million edge players we've brought in since drafting him, I don't think the team is holding their breath.

Searching for something controversial that Sports Talk radio can whine and bytch about come Monday...

Maybe it will come today as the Pats still have 5 picks, one of them will certainly give them fodder to complain about how the draft has passed BB by as they shoulda, coulda taken this guy over that guy..

This morning they were basically *****ing about having nothing to ***** about.

I think he just needs to get better at run defense. Based on the 1 million edge players we've brought in since drafting him, I don't think the team is holding their breath.
I think he might not exactly be "complete" (run defense) and they're recognizing and addressing. If the toolkit becomes better without Wino, so be it - the Thor guy in the movies needs a stunt double, no fuss no muss

Burrows had primo talent as well, nobody ever used that as a negative against him. Lawrence had great talent as well. Tua had better talent than Mac. Only Mac gets dinged for having primo talent held against him. It’s weird.

As I’ve been saying for many years, the QB is still the one who is making the throws. People used to attack Brady early in his career, and say “oh, but he has a great defense, that’s why they win”. But it was also Brady throwing great passes. Also, people defending Peyton Manning’s poor playoff record, but it was Manning who was throwing those picks in the playoff losses. You could have Jerry Rice and Randy Moss in their primes, but if you make bad throws, it doesn’t matter. You still have to make those throws.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back