PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pittsburgh Next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, Instead of dealing with a real need, we could use a first on a safe and bench Chung or McCourty.

I understand that this is an option. Personally, I think that we are better using our top free agent money and top 4 draft choices elsewhere.
You do understand that Belichick will draft will 2020 needs in mind in 2019 right?

You do understand that Belichick will draft will 2020 needs in mind in 2019 right?

The really interesting thing about the draft is that essentially the 2018 draft class was injured and comes in with all the tread on their tires except for Sony Michel. Tackle Isaiah Wynn, CB Duke Dawson, LB Jawaun Bentley, LB Christian Sam, WR Braxton Berrios, and TE Ryan Izzo will all be a year older. QB Danny Etling and CB Keion Crosson have a leg up due to their time on the practice squad.

The needs list will be a bit easier to fill, particularly if Wynn, Dawson, Bentley and Sam turn out to be capable NFL players.

Defensive line is the top priority in my book, and probably QB if the right guy is out there to be an understudy.

OL looks solid for 2019. WR will be interesting in 2019. If Gordon sticks around (he should), it takes a lot of pressure off the draft.

The really interesting thing about the draft is that essentially the 2018 draft class was injured and comes in with all the tread on their tires except for Sony Michel. Tackle Isaiah Wynn, CB Duke Dawson, LB Jawaun Bentley, LB Christian Sam, WR Braxton Berrios, and TE Ryan Izzo will all be a year older. QB Danny Etling and CB Keion Crosson have a leg up due to their time on the practice squad.

The needs list will be a bit easier to fill, particularly if Wynn, Dawson, Bentley and Sam turn out to be capable NFL players.

Defensive line is the top priority in my book, and probably QB if the right guy is out there to be an understudy.

OL looks solid for 2019. WR will be interesting in 2019. If Gordon sticks around (he should), it takes a lot of pressure off the draft.
Agree DL is priority, esp a run stiffing. DT. OL is young (mostly) and good but could use some depth.
Wr will have Gordon Edelman and whatever they keep or sign beyond that. May not be a draft pick. (Never is)
Developing a TE would be nice.

Agree DL is priority, esp a run stiffing. DT.

KeenSecondhandKentrosaurus-size_restricted.gif

e9b0hRX

of course

My hope is that we will address most of our 2019 needs through re-signings and through early free agency. We will be able to focus on the future with the re-signing or free agent replacements of Flowers, Brown, Brown, Gordon, McCourty, Jones, and 2 of Hogan/Patterson/Dorsett.

That being said, I don't think that D McCourty, Chung and Harmon are going anywhere. I am all for drafting a safety. I just don't expect that this will be a first rounder or even a top 2nd rounder. Obviously, that will depend on the value available in those rounds.
====
In another thread, you indicate that we need OL depth. Sure. We need depth at EVERY position.
Surely, OL is our strongest group, and will continue to be so if we re-sign Brown.

Agree DL is priority, esp a run stiffing. DT. OL is young (mostly) and good but could use some depth.
Wr will have Gordon Edelman and whatever they keep or sign beyond that. May not be a draft pick. (Never is)
Developing a TE would be nice.
I think it's a priority but I don't see them burning a high pick on a one dimensional DT.

I live an hour and a half east of Pittsburgh. My wife, father-in law and virtually everyone where I live is all about Pittsburgh sports teams. My father-in law was going to try to get tickets for himself, my wife and I, but I'm working like 25 days straight :(. Never been to an NFL game

Every time I think about buying tickets for my kids and myself I end up deciding to not spend a thousand bucks on a game that we could watch at home for free.

Are you suggesting that a Wilfork type NT isn't worth one of our 1sts or 2nds?

I suppose that this might depend on whether we re-sign Brown and who we pick up in free agency. I would think that if the player is there, a NT is worth a top pick in any case.

I think it's a priority but I don't see them burning a high pick on a one dimensional DT.

Obviously taking another wilfork is a no brainer. I wouldn’t label this type of NT as one deminsional as he could take on multiple blockers freeing up defenders and stopping the run, things Danny Shelton has shown he can’t do.

Since any combination of NE wins and MIA losses totaling at least 2 gives NE the AFCE crown, if MIA loses to MIN in the early game then NE will have hat and t-shirt day take 2. Hopefully it goes a lot better than take 1.

I suppose that this might depend on whether we re-sign Brown and who we pick up in free agency. I would think that if the player is there, a NT is worth a top pick in any case.
VW played 4-3 , 3-4 and would thrive in this 2-2-7 thing they have going but with that said i think has evolved since VW played. If VW played now he'd be going after the passer more which is certainly worth a 1st Rd draft pick. He certainly has that ability and showed it at the U .

My point is drafting a pure run stuffer like a "Shelton" high is a waste

Wilfork was drafted as a 34 NT, and well worth the first round pick. Of course, as he became a one the best ever, he was able to be much more.

A NT is more than a pure run stuffer. A NT can provide inside pressure.

Shelton simply didn't play at the level that we hoped. A Shelton WHO PERFORMED AS WE HOPED might indeed by worth a 2nd or even a late 1st round pick.

VW played 4-3 , 3-4 and would thrive in this 2-2-7 thing they have going but with that said i think has evolved since VW played. If VW played now he'd be going after the passer more which is certainly worth a 1st Rd draft pick. He certainly has that ability and showed it at the U .

My point is drafting a pure run stuffer like a "Shelton" high is a waste

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey