PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Picking at Old Wounds: just watched 2017 SB v. Eagles on NFL All Access

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to the victories.

Seattle Super Bowl. I'll keep it short.

Late 3rd quarter. Patriots doing nothing on offense. Seattle has 2 straight TDs, they are up 24-14.

New England is reeling. 3rd down for Seattle from the 50 yard line. Russell Wilson drops back, Seattle runs a rub route, wheel route, for Kearse. Malcolm Butler is on him but because he is slightly interfered with by a Seattle WR, Kearse breaks into the open, and Wilson drops a perfect touch pass over Kearse's inside shoulder. Kearse actually has the ball for a second, and it would be 1st and 10 Seattle at about the Patriots 20, and for all purposes, the game might be over here.

Butler somehow makes up all that ground after falling off 3 or 4 yards, and at the last second, as Kearse reels the ball in, Butler sticks his arm in, grabs Kearse's elbow, and shakes the ball loose. Incomplete.

I didn't remember this play, but it appears Butler saved our bacon more than once this game. The Patriots might have been cooked if Kearse caught that.
You’re exactly right. SEA converts that 1st down, NE loses that game.

That was a fun game. That was the game in which the GOAT HC decided that the right thing to do on defense was to add the secondary, a former area of strength, to the list of weaknesses (to include the run D) on that side of the ball against a red hot offense at the time. Genius move. A pure stroke of brilliance.

Still taking advantage of NFL Gamepass.

I started by watching the Eagles SB loss, then I watched 3 straight wins, so I went back to watch one of the 4 most painful losses for me (2 SBs against Giants, 06 AFCG Colts, 17 SB v Eagles).

I watched the '11 SB against the Giants yesterday. Just quickly:

1. Brady was actually hit hard on the opening safety. He was driven backward with the ball still in his hand and kind of slingshotted the ball forward as he was getting hit. I have never seen an intentional grounding where the QB was getting hit. A preposterous ridiculous call.

2. The Giants D was totally spent by the end of the 3rd qtr. I did not remember this, but Brady completed 17 passes in a row.

17 straight complete passes!

Other losses may have been more devastating, but SB46 was the most anger-inducing loss of the last 20 years. So many chances to put that game away and lost to a far inferior team.

Other losses may have been more devastating, but SB46 was the most anger-inducing loss of the last 20 years. So many chances to put that game away and lost to a far inferior team.

That loss was annoying because it was the Giants and added to the chest thumping we would hear from their fans plus “no wins since Spygate!”. I remember Shannon Sharpe and a few other NFL personalities had a great time trolling and taunting Pats fans on twitter after that game.

To be honest though the 2011 Pats weren’t all that. Brady was lights out, the Pats had a lethal 2 TE set but the running game was nothing special. AFC was pretty bad. Beat zero winning teams in the regular season. Lucked out facing Tebow in the divisional round. Were very fortunate to beat the Ravens as we all know. The defense was ok in the SB game but they were a steaming pile during the season.

Should have still beaten that Giants team though. By far the worst SB champion in a long time imo.

Last edited:
1 missed Johnson Bademosi tackle.....that was the difference, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News