PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perfect Prospect Fits for NE

JerseyShore99

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Amari Cooper, WR, 'Bama- The top WR in '15 without a doubt, best WR prospect in years, but his skill on screens and deep passes seem perfect in BB's system, Brady-Cooper connection may never happen but it's fun to think about
Shaq Thompson, OLB, Washington- A borderline first round OLB, has speed to play SS and skill set to play DE, reminds me of a more polished and talented Jamie Collins (who has Pro Bowl potential himself), former BoSox draft pick, played in Minors and retired shortly after
Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska- An early Day 2 pick, Heisman candidate, his versatility attracts BB, speedy tailback with great hands to catch out of the backfield, can be an elite pass catching RB in the NFL (Sproles, Woodhead)

Unrelated NFL Comparisons:
Kevin White, WR, WVU- Larry Fitzgerald (would love him in NE but won't happen)
Jameis Winston, QB, FSU- a stronger, more talented Kap, immaturity weighs him down

My favorite fits for the Pats:

OL: Brandon Scherff, Iowa and TJ Clemmings, Pittsburgh. Scherff is Mankins-plus, a tough as nails lineman who can play tackle or guard. Clemmings is Joel Bitonio with more athleticism, a 4 position lineman with tremendous upside.

DE: Bud Dupree and Dante Fowler. Incredibly versatile players who would excel in our hybrid defense.

All 4 guys are team leaders or captains.

I'm afraid I disagree a little.

1. Don't agree with Amari Cooper simply because we've never drafted a first round WR. I'm not speaking about his playmaking which is another matter.

2. I really like Shaq Thompson but he's a linebacker who's barely pushing 230b. We almost never put out linebackers that are less than 245b. Now there's been discussion about the evolving defense and the use of a smaller faster linebacker these last two draft cycles (and there's some supporting evidence in Casillas and the FA interest in Dakoda Watson/Woodyard but none of that has translated to the draft so I really can't agree that Thompson is a perfect prospect.

As for Abdullah, sign me up! Except, has BB ever drafted a sub 200lb RB?

I was going to say who I thought were perfect fits but Mayo got there first. Agree with those four names 100%.

My favorite fits for the Pats:

OL: Brandon Scherff, Iowa and TJ Clemmings, Pittsburgh. Scherff is Mankins-plus, a tough as nails lineman who can play tackle or guard. Clemmings is Joel Bitonio with more athleticism, a 4 position lineman with tremendous upside.

DE: Bud Dupree and Dante Fowler. Incredibly versatile players who would excel in our hybrid defense.

All 4 guys are team leaders or captains.
Scherff is the greatest OT I can really remember, huge fan, and honestly don't know much about Clemmings

Dupree and Fowler are interesting prospects however I still would take Calhoun over them, Calhoun>Dupree>Fowler in order for me

And as for the bold, I'm glad you stated that,I think BB really likes and loves leaders, off topic but next year I can see our captains as Brady, Vollmer, Wilfork, Mayo (YES, he'll be here), and McCourty, ton of other leaders we have though in Ridley, Edelman, Stork, Solder, Hightower, Browner, Revis, Collins, Jones, Nink

1. Don't agree with Amari Cooper simply because we've never drafted a first round WR. I'm not speaking about his playmaking which is another matter.

2. I really like Shaq Thompson but he's a linebacker who's barely pushing 230b. We almost never put out linebackers that are less than 245b. Now there's been discussion about the evolving defense and the use of a smaller faster linebacker these last two draft cycles (and there's some supporting evidence in Casillas and the FA interest in Dakoda Watson/Woodyard but none of that has translated to the draft so I really can't agree that Thompson is a perfect prospect.

I agree with all of the above.

Amari Cooper is a fine, fine player, but besides the fact that I don't see us drafting a WR that high, I actually think Kevin White would be a better fit.

Shaq Thompson is a fine LB/S prospect, but that 's a niche role for the Pats right now, and Thompson would be a premium pick. I think Bernardrick McKinney is a better fit for a LB.

I don't see Abdullah being an every down back. He's Gio Bernard with less receiving experience - again, a fine player, but he'll go higher than I think we would draft him. I prefer Tevin Coleman as a fit.

Some names to add:

Ty Sambrailo - Not quite the athlete that Scherff and Clemmings are but similar.
Anthony Harris - Similar safety to McCourty that gets referred to as a "QB of the defense"
Tyler Kroft - Not sure the need is there but tall Rutgers TE comes close to ideal Patriot.

And as for the bold, I'm glad you stated that,I think BB really likes and loves leaders, off topic but next year I can see our captains as Brady, Vollmer, Wilfork, Mayo (YES, he'll be here), and McCourty, ton of other leaders we have though in Ridley, Edelman, Stork, Solder, Hightower, Browner, Revis, Collins, Jones, Nink

A rookie would never be named a captain, so I certainly wasn't suggesting that any of these guys would step in as leaders on the Pats. But BB does value leadership, as you note. There is still something of a leadership void on the OL since Mankins left, and Connolly is getting on (and Vollmer will be 31 next year), so I could definitely see someone like Scherff or Clemmings becoming the OL leader in a few years. Regardless, I don't think you can have too many leaders on your team.

These are perfect fits, never said they would be on the board at #32, BB won't draft a WR in the 1st (for better or for worse) and Cooper is a top 10 prospect so he won't be drafted here, Shaq I can see at #32 and think his versatility is all that's needed to attract BB but I think trenches are our biggest need, and I'm not sure however he's 195, I believe Ridley or Vereen were both 200 or 205 when drafted, he's in the ballpark with an entirely diffirent skill set

Some names to add:

Ty Sambrailo - Not quite the athlete that Scherff and Clemmings are but similar.

What do you think of Spencer Drango of Baylor? He seems to fit the same mold to some extent.

These are perfect fits, never said they would be on the board at #32, BB won't draft a WR in the 1st (for better or for worse) and Cooper is a top 10 prospect so he won't be drafted here, Shaq I can see at #32 and think his versatility is all that's needed to attract BB but I think trenches are our biggest need, and I'm not sure however he's 195, I believe Ridley or Vereen were both 200 or 205 when drafted, he's in the ballpark with an entirely diffirent skill set

I'm not sure I understand you. I have no doubt that Cooper, Thompson and Abdullah are all top prospects. It's much less clear to me that they are "perfect fits". Most teams would be happy to add just about any top 10 talent to their roster, regardless of fit.

Some names to add:

Anthony Harris - Similar safety to McCourty that gets referred to as a "QB of the defense"
Tyler Kroft - Not sure the need is there but tall Rutgers TE comes close to ideal Patriot.
I have to learn more about Harris, he's very interesting, and yes Kroft is right up BB's ally, recruited by Schiano as well

What do you think of Spencer Drango of Baylor? He seems to fit the same mold to some extent.

I haven't concentrated on him yet. I really need to take a look at him, Ty Thompson and most importantly La'el Collins who is getting consistently rave reviews.

Another strong prospect, I believe he's often over valued, no Scherff but sure is talented

I'm not sure I understand you. I have no doubt that Cooper, Thompson and Abdullah are all top prospects. It's much less clear to me that they are "perfect fits". Most teams would be happy to add just about any top 10 talent to their roster, regardless of fit.
Cooper and Abdullah would fit this offense perfectly, perfect toys for TB if you seen them play
Thompson's athleticism, versatility, and speed would fit perfect in our D as well

You might need to clarify. Do you mean "perfect fit" which suggests to me that they are prototype Patriot draft picks in which case I'd disagree with those names or do you mean "ideal fit" which I think talks more to improving the current roster as it is. In the case of the latter, I'm much more onboard.

Cooper and Abdullah would fit this offense perfectly, perfect toys for TB if you seen them play

No doubt they would be excellent "toys". I'll still take Kevin White and Tevin Coleman ("Kevin and Tevin") in terms of fit, and both should be available later than Cooper and Abdullah.

In the mid Rd's I like this guy-Tyler Kroft TE 65-240

These are some late Rd.-UDFA's I like....
Gary Nova QB 6-2 220
Savory Huggins RB 6-0 200
Micheal Burton FB 6-0 235
Kaleb Johnson OG 6-4 305
Betim Bujari OC 6-0 295
Johnathan Aiken FS 5-11 190
Lorenzo Waters SS 5-11 205

(Note:There's a common thread connecting all these players;))

You might need to clarify. Do you mean "perfect fit" which suggests to me that they are prototype Patriot draft picks in which case I'd disagree with those names or do you mean "ideal fit" which I think talks more to improving the current roster as it is. In the case of the latter, I'm much more onboard.
They have skill sets and talents that would thrive with TB and BB

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back