PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peppers trade rumor on the radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're dealing with the very team that made you who you are and you just came from? yeah I do. And we're talking about a lot more than just a QB choice. This a franchise make or break move. If Cassel becomes the next Scott Mitchell than Pioli's cooked in about 5 years from now.

1.) It's his first "big" decision. He'll get a pass on it.

2.) The Chargers were able to overcome Ryan Leaf in less than 5 years.

The key in football is to get a quarterback who can get the job done. It doesn't matter how you get him. Just look at some the Super Bowl winning QBs from this decade:

Brady (6th round)
Roethlisberger (1st round, but out of top 10)
Manning (#1 overall)
Manning (#1 overall)
Johnson (9th round)

Pioli knows this. If he thinks Cassel's the real deal, the last thing he's going to worry about is the fan base whining about it.

The key in football is to get a quarterback who can get the job done. It doesn't matter how you get him. Just look at some the Super Bowl winning QBs from this decade:

Brady (6th round)
Manning (#1 overall)
Manning (#1 overall)
Johnson (9th round)

Pioli knows this. If he thinks Cassel's the real deal, the last thing he's going to worry about is the fan base whining about it.

He might not worry, but the owner who has to justify his salary might.

He might not worry, but the owner who has to justify his salary might.

Mr. Hunt just cleaned house and set Pioli up in charge. Do you honestly think he'd be stupid enough to put the kibosh on Pioli's first quarterback move?

Mr. Hunt just cleaned house and set Pioli up in charge. Do you honestly think he'd be stupid enough to put the kibosh on Pioli's first quarterback move?

If he loses $ in the empty box seats? Yeah I do!

Wait.... now you're trying to make a serious claim that people won't buy seats if the team trades for a quarterback instead of drafting one?

Brady (6th round)
Manning (#1 overall)
Manning (#1 overall)
Johnson (9th round)

I think this is spot on. IF Pioli thinks Cassel is the real deal and wants to make the move, he won't hesitate, and he won't be second guessed by the organization. They were aggressive in going after him; they'll have to trust him, at least for now. The franchise won't be rebuilt overnight, but a QB to build around would be the best thing possible.

Wait.... now you're trying to make a serious claim that people won't buy seats if the team trades for a quarterback instead of drafting one?

I'm talking about if it doesn't pan out 3 years from now. Knowing that he's a former GM of the Pats only puts more pressure on him if he goes with Cassel. But either way he'll be judged on the decision he makes at QB.

I'm talking about if it doesn't pan out 3 years from now. Knowing that he's a former GM of the Pats only puts more pressure on him if he goes with Cassel. But either way he'll be judged on the decision he makes at QB.

:confused:

Look at it from KC's point of view. You're telling your fans that you just gave up Aaron Curry or Jason Smith(potential perennial pro bowlers) for a guy a who didn't start a single game in college and only 1 year in the NFL?

When did "just gave up" become 3 years down the road?

Last edited:
. Who would spend a #3 pick on a RT? Understand my point? That is front office suicide.
DW Toys

Again, you people do not understand the draft. If you have the #3, and you don't like anyone, you don't pick. YOu just let your pick slide, and pick when you see a guy you like. Once your time block runs out, you can pick whenever you want. So, because of that, the #3 is ALWAYS more valuable than every pick below it.

And if you don't think they could spin the number 3 in five minutes, you're an idiot. If NE was to offer the #3 for a #20-32 and a 5th round pick, every team in the last 12 would be clammering to take that deal.

The problem isn't the number 3, the problem is teams wanting the #25, the 3rd, next years 1 and 2, and a pony for the #3.

:confused:

When did "just gave up" become 3 years down the road?

It's ALL a crap shoot. Matt Cassel is no more a sure thing than the top 20 picks in this draft. IMO his value is around that of a mid 1st at BEST. He's not worth giving up on a "potential" future Ray Lewis or Jonathan Ogden for IMO.

Last edited:
It's ALL a crap shoot. Matt Cassel is no more a sure thing than the top 20 picks in this draft. .

I completely disagree. Matt Cassel has proven hes atleast acceptable at an NFL level. Half the guys in the top 20 wont be that.

His ceiling may not be higher than a lot of the top 20 guys, but his floor most certainly is.

Revenue sharing from the NFL's TV contracts essentially pays all the player salaries. Stadium revenue is essentially profit (split among the owners). The stadium would essentially have to be empty for it to affect his bottom line.

It's ALL a crap shoot. Matt Cassel is no more a sure thing than the top 20 picks in this draft. IMO his value is around that of a mid 1st at BEST. He's not worth giving up on a "potential" future Ray Lewis or Jonathan Ogden for IMO.

Did you miss where I wrote "If he thinks Cassel's the real deal"?

As far as my post goes, your opinion of Cassel's worth means exactly the same as my opinion of Cassel's worth: nothing. The only opinion that matters is Pioli's.

Last edited:
Did you miss where I wrote "If he thinks Cassel's the real deal"?

That's like saying Brady should've been the #1 pick overall based on his 2001 performance. If Pioli felt that way why wasn't Cassel taken a lot higher?

I completely disagree. Matt Cassel has proven hes atleast acceptable at an NFL level. Half the guys in the top 20 wont be that.

His ceiling may not be higher than a lot of the top 20 guys, but his floor most certainly is.

were you one of the many who 6 months ago thought the Pats should cut Cassel and bring in a vet?

1 year does not make a stud NFL QB. There's still a risk involved with Cassel just like there would be with Sanchez or Stafford. And knowing that Pioli has ties to the Pats I don't think he'd be given a free pass if it blew up in his face.

Last edited:
1 year does not make a stud NFL QB. There's still a risk involved with Cassel just like there would be with Sanchez or Stafford. And knowing that Pioli has ties to the Pats I don't think he'd be given a free pass if it blew up in his face.

Yes, there is still a risk, but it is significantly lower than that of Stafford or especially Sanchez. Stafford is a 25/25/50 (elite/mediocre/bust) shot in my eyes. Sanchez has about 5/5/90 shot (elite/mediocre/complete bust)

I'd say Cassel is 25/50/25

As to what I thought 6 months ago, how is that relevant? Hes not the guy we thought he was 6 months ago. Contrary to George Bush's belief, its not cowardly to change your opinion when the data changes.

Last edited:
That's like saying Brady should've been the #1 pick overall based on his 2001 performance. If Pioli felt that way why wasn't Cassel taken a lot higher?

Ok, now I get it. You're bored and trolling the message board.

whatever when the Pats get a couple of 2nd round picks for Matt you can tell us all how you knew we were overrating his value all along. I won't take the credit ;)

The economy will do that, not Pioli's decision to bring in the best possible QB from the current pool of candidates (and that includes the draft).

The economy will do that, not Pioli's decision to bring in the best possible QB from the current pool of candidates (and that includes the draft).

Can I borrow your crystal ball?

whatever when the Pats get a couple of 2nd round picks for Matt you can tell us all how you knew we were overrating his value all along. I won't take the credit ;)

I haven't put a value on Cassel, because I don't pretend to have any idea at all what the guy is worth to GMs this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST