PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peppers trade rumor on the radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would after the Combine be the most likely time to make the trade? If it was going to happen that is.

We couldn't announce any trade until the 27th, but the combine would be the obvious time to work out a deal.

Read the whole thread. Talk about crazies!. Peppers is almost 30 years old.I think a player the other way or pick is in order. They are a QB from advancing in the playoffs. Where does this weak are crap come from on Cassel? Because he threw underneath as Moss was down the field taking two DBs with him? The kid has a cannon. Take what they give you kid. He still threw for 3,600 yards. It's how people defend you as to where your yards are. Yo are twenty years away and the receiver can make up some ground after the catch.
I was for the trade. Now listening to these guys there is more reasons not to do it with them.
They only way to get this done is the K.C. swap in an exchmage of picks plus their second, and send the #3 to Carolina. There are better fits elsewhere than directly with Carolina.
DW Toys

what a bunch of rubes. as far as the weak arm crap, that is propaganda spewed from espn. i heard dumbass clayton saying the same thing on saturday. can that guy buy a clue.

We couldn't announce any trade until the 27th, but the combine would be the obvious time to work out a deal.

Okay well for all we know a deal is being worked out right now haha :rocker: or there could be no deal ever worked out :(

In the nfl section of the latest espn magazine issue I received there was an insider or scout saying there's four teams intrested in peppers, 3 from the nfc and one from the afc. The scout or source said if peppers gets his way he will be playing defense for the patriots next season.

Take it for what it's worth just thought I'd share with with everybody.

In the nfl section of the latest espn magazine issue I received there was an insider or scout saying there's four teams intrested in peppers, 3 from the nfc and one from the afc. The scout or source said if peppers gets his way he will be playing defense for the patriots next season.

If his was involves a friendly contract with escalators, he probably will. If not, we'll just find the next killah OLB in the draft.

Just checked his player profile on yahoo to see how durable he is. Played in 106 of 112 regular season games :eek::cool: I'd be all for a 3-4 year deal for somewhere around $5M per. If he's any more expensive take my chances through the draft.

Just checked his player profile on yahoo to see how durable he is. Played in 106 of 112 regular season games :eek::cool: I'd be all for a 3-4 year deal for somewhere around $5M per. If he's any more expensive take my chances through the draft.

$5M/year sounds a bit too good to be true, especially when players like Jabari Greer are seeking $7-8M/year. That seems more realistic.

Speaking of "too good to be true", here's a fantasy scenario:

1. Trade Cassel and #23 to KC for #3 and #34.
2. Draft day trade: #3 to Jacksonville for #8 and #40 (and possibly an additional 2010 pick to make up the 300 point difference). In this scenario, Jax would trade up to get one of the top 2 OLs, Eugene Monroe or Jason Smith.
3. Trade #34 and #89 to Carolina for Peppers. Sign him for somewhere in the $6-8M/year range.

That would leave us with #8, 40, 47 and 58 in the draft. I could see something like the following:

#8: BVA, which to me would likely be DT BJ Raji, or possibly OT Andre Smith. Aaron Curry or Michael Crabtree falling and Everett Brown might also be options.

#40: Best DB available among Sean Smith, Alphonso Smith, DJ Moore, Louis Delmas, Patrick Chung and William Moore. A small trade-up might help secure one of these guys if we really want one in particular.

#47/58: some combination of the following players: Connor Barwin LB, Clint Sintim LB, Jarron Gilbert DE, Alex Mack OG/C, Eric Wood OG/C, one of the previously mentioned DBs, or possibly a WR who falls. Being that I am all about the defense, I would vote for Jarron Gilbert at 47 and Connor Barwin at 58 (or in reverse order, depending on how their draft stock looks) particularly if we are able to sign a FA DB and if Mike Wright doesn't stay or we release or move Jarvis Green. I am warming to the idea of Gilbert as a replacement for Richard Seymour after 2009. I would like to keep Seymour, but with all of the expiring contracts and all of the teams converting to 3-4 who may throw big money at him, I'm not sure it will be possible. In this scenario, either Vrabel or AD would move inside to SILB (I would vote for Vrabel).

This would give us a defense that looks like the following (new players in bold):

DT: Vince Wilfork, BJ Raji, LeKevin Smith
DE: Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Jarron Gilbert, Mike Wright/Jarvis Green
OLB: Adalius Thomas, Julius Peppers, Connor Barwin, Shawn Crable, Pierre Woods/Tully Banta-Cain/Vince Redd
ILB: Jerod Mayo, Mike Vrabel, Gary Guyton, Tedy Bruschi
DB: Brandon Meriweather, Ellis Hobbs, Terrell Wheatley and Gerald Wilhite; one FA signing and one 1st day rookie; 2 resignings from the current group of safeties (James Sanders/Lewis Sanders/Tank Williams)

We could use all of our day 2 picks on offense: OG, TE, and WR (and possibly RB unless we sign Fred Taylor).

Just a fantasy, but a pleasant one. The defensive front 7 would be unreal. We could also run a lot of 4-3 sets with Mayo at MLB, either a "big" set with Raji/Wilfork in the middle and Peppers/AD at OLB, or moving one or both of Peppers/AD up to 4-3 DE in more of a speed rushing set. Raji, Peppers, Gilbert and Barwin would also make sure that the defense was pretty much set even if we lose one or more of Wilfork/Seymour/Green after 2009.

"Terrell Wheatley and Gerald Wilhite"

lol

now you have running to the latest ESPN mag

"Terrell Wheatley and Gerald Wilhite"

lol

All right, you caught me cold handed. What a brain fart. That's what happens when I'm posting wild fantasies on off-moments while working. Sorry. My apologies to Terrance Wheatley and Jonathan Wilhite in particular.

what a bunch of rubes. as far as the weak arm crap, that is propaganda spewed from espn. i heard dumbass clayton saying the same thing on saturday. can that guy buy a clue.

Well we can almost make a thread out of this. Arms? What the hell does he know about arms? Here is a list of the potential starting QB's in the NFL (not including Brady) and where their "gun" should rate. Cassel is without question in the top ten. I wish Elmer Fudd Clayton would look at this so he can straighten out his thought process instead of holding it on "dumb ass". Where did he pull that weak armed crap out of? His head....... probably because it is up his.....anal cavity. I wonder if he has ever watched an NFL football game.
Please tell me where if any of these arms, that you disagree with. Many are rated where they are because of the arm they have today, not five years ago. I tried to be objective. I had trouble between Big Ben and Cassel.
DW Toys
1- Joe Flacco- Baltimore Ravens
2- JaMarcus Russell- Oakland Raiders
3- Jay Cutler- Denver Broncos
4- Tony Romo- Dallas Cowboys
5- Kurt Warner- Arizona Cardinals
6- Carson Palmer- Cincinnati Bengals
7- Peyton Manning- Indianapolis Colts
8- Ben Roethlisberger- Pittsburgh Steelers
9- Matt Cassel- New England Patriots
10- Matt Ryan- Atlanta Falcons
11- Donovan McNabb- Philadelphia Eagles
12- Matt Hassleback- Seattle Seahawks
13- Matt Schaub- Houston Texans
14- Tarvaris Jackson- Minnesota Vikings
15- Marc Bulger- St. Louis Rams
16- Kerry Collins - Tennessee Titans
17- Dante Culpepper- Detroit Lions
18- David Garrard- Jacksonville Jaguars
19- Phillip Rivers- San Diego Chargers
20- Trent Edwards- Buffalo Bills
21- Drew Brees- New Orleans Saints
22- Brett Ratliff- New York Jets
23- Jason Campbell- Washington Redskins
24- Tyler Thigpen- Kansas City Chiefs
25- Shaun Hill-San Francisco 49ers
26- Brady Quinn- Cleveland Browns
27- Aaron Rogers- Green Bay Packers
28- Jake Dellhomme- Carolina Panthers
29- Eli Manning- New York Giants
30- Kyle Orton- Chicago Bears
31- Jeff Garcia- Tampa Bay Buccaneers
32- Chad Pennington- Miami Dolphins

Speaking of "too good to be true", here's a fantasy scenario:

1. Trade Cassel and #23 to KC for #3 and #34.
2. Draft day trade: #3 to Jacksonville for #8 and #40 (and possibly an additional 2010 pick to make up the 300 point difference). In this scenario, Jax would trade up to get one of the top 2 OLs, Eugene Monroe or Jason Smith.
3. Trade #34 and #89 to Carolina for Peppers. Sign him for somewhere in the $6-8M/year range.

1. so you're essentially putting Cassel's value at a top 10 draft pick :rolleyes: Pioli would get crucified!
2. why would Jax pay #3 $ for a position that is 3 maybe even 4 deep?
3. again you're wearing your red and blue colored goggles if you think Carolina is that foolish.

19- Phillip Rivers- San Diego Chargers
21- Drew Brees- New Orleans Saints
29- Eli Manning- New York Giants

you can't be serious? lol

you guys wanna way over rate Cassel's value and completely DEvalue Peppers when one guy has played a single year and the other is a perennial pro bowler!

Last edited:

Just ran up and read the little blurb. I think you are mixing things together the blurb I read said nothing of 4 teams interested though I have seen that elsewhere....

What it did say was that if Peppers had his wish he would be playing for the Patriots but that he was likly to be tagged and obviously has since this blurb.

They teased this by saying imagine a pass rush of Peppers and Thomas:D

It didn't say who wrote the blurb and where he gets the idea Peppers would chose us if he was free but if you add this info to the fact that there are only 4 teams he is willing to be traded too than you could surmise we are one of the 4 teams....two things left we have to want to be one of the 4 teams and we have to outbid the other 3.

1. so you're essentially putting Cassel's value at a top 10 draft pick :rolleyes: Pioli would get crucified!
2. why would Jax pay #3 $ for a position that is 3 maybe even 4 deep?
3. again you're wearing your red and blue colored goggles if you think Carolina is that foolish.

you can't be serious? lol

you guys wanna way over rate Cassel's value and completely DEvalue Peppers when one guy has played a single year and the other is a perennial pro bowler!

I don't know if you were suggesting my Trade? If so, it is not what I said. I said swap of # ones with K.C. plus their #34 pick for Cassel. The Chiefs spend really only one pick for Matt and Pioli still hangs on to a first rounder. The alternative for K.C. is to hang on to the much ballyhooed Thigpen, pick and sign the question mark Stafford who is much shorter than first thought or go with the inexperienced Sanchez. The last two will cost Cassel money at the least, pending a Cassel long term deal.

The other part I mentioned was sending that #3 pick in the draft to the Panthers, who do not have a first rounder, and our fourth rounder for Peppers. They can take who they want but maybe QB Matt Stafford to sit under Jake for a year? They never have picks that low because they have a decent team. Why not.
Everyone wins.

My only beef on Peppers (no pun meant) is his age. THE PANTHER FANS MUST AGREE THAT IS A FACTOR. Carolina gets their requested top first rounder plus a fourth.

All of this saying, each team and their fans thinks that their positions and requirements or values trump those of the others. It's just nature by trying to make a deal with ones' heart.
DW Toys

I don't know if you were suggesting my Trade? If so, it is not what I said. I said swap of # ones with K.C. plus their #34 pick for Cassel. The Chiefs spend really only one pick for Matt and Pioli still hangs on to a first rounder.

I wasn't but that's essentially the same thing. How can you suggest giving up the #3 AND #34 overall is essentially only giving up one pick? It's more like essentially giving up three mid/late 1st round picks.

If Matt Cassel were worth two 1st round picks we'd be hearing rumors fly the week he was franchised. I'm telling you it's not gonna happen!

Last edited:
I wasn't but that's essentially the same thing. How can you suggest giving up the #3 AND #34 overall is essentially only giving up one pick? It's more like essentially giving up three mid/late 1st round picks.

If Matt Cassel were worth two 1st round picks we'd be hearing rumors fly the week he was franchised. I'm telling you it's not gonna happen!

Bakes, The number three pick in the NFL draft is not a blessing. In fact it is a trade detriment unless a specific player is sought. Nobody wants that financial requirement. Don't fall for that points crap. Id' rather have a #10-#15 pick in today's economical and CAP times. Is that a fair statement? Don't deal with your heart and look at the #3 pick as a hot commodity. It's not.
Correct, he's is not worth two first rounders, but then again he is not worth a solitary second rounder either. Do you think BB would be stupid enough to do that? Cassel is already rated as a better choice than Stafford or Sanchez and if you pick then they could be Ryan Leif, not Matt Ryan.
If we were talkng the #15 pick and a two or three, I would do that but the Chiefs have what they have. Do not get caught up in draft value any more for any choice five and under.
Put it down now, Cassel will get more than one single second round pick.
DW Toys

P.S. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats don't already have a trade done with Matt to a team, but are waiting until the 27th.

Last edited:
Look at it from KC's point of view. You're telling your fans that you just gave up Aaron Curry or Jason Smith(potential perennial pro bowlers) for a guy a who didn't start a single game in college and only 1 year in the NFL?

Look at it from KC's point of view. You're telling your fans that you just gave up Aaron Curry or Jason Smith(potential perennial pro bowlers) for a guy a who didn't start a single game in college and only 1 year in the NFL?

You have a point that way but look at it as "is Thigpen is the QB of the future" and most think he is deemed not to be? You want to spend money on the unproven and inferior products of Stafford and Sanchez who have "0" years experience, not one for the same type money for a wasted #3 pick who might play in a year or two? Cassel is rated as better than any of those two and in fact, many say he would be the #1 pick in this draft knowing what he has accomplished.
Who says Cassel can't be a Pro Bowler? He has as much chance as your two studs. I have read from many sources that Curry will be just o.k. and a very valuable starter and very good player but certainly won't make the Chiefs fan forget any of their great LBs. He is not perennial pro-bowl material. Smith? Who knows. They have a decent young LT they drafted last year in Brandon Albert. Smith might have to be a RT. Who would spend a #3 pick on a RT? Understand my point? That is front office suicide.
DW Toys

Last edited:

Do you honestly think that Pioli gives a rat's ass what that fan base thinks about his quarterback choice?

Do you honestly think that Pioli gives a rat's ass what that fan base thinks about his quarterback choice?

If you're dealing with the very team that made you who you are and you just came from? yeah I do. And we're talking about a lot more than just a QB choice. This a franchise make or break move. If Cassel becomes the next Scott Mitchell than Pioli's cooked in about 5 years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST