PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peppers trade rumor on the radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't expect quite so much from the 'free preview' but that's a nice read into Belichick's past.
Did y'allnote tha Belichick expects to get an ILB rush fromthe ILBs?

When Tedy went over the hill ,only AD has any ability to do that. That is a capability that neither Mayo nor Guyton seem to posses, either. The trouble with using AD for that is that he is BETTER as an OLB.:)

According to the Charlotte Observer, Carolina is currently at least $10M over the $123M cap with the Gross signing and placing the franchise tag on Peppers. They have a lot of work to do. I understand that Peppers is a valuable asset, but he has stated repeatedly that he doesn't want to play for them, and he is a huge cap hit. That combination could be intolerable for them.

Panthers busy at deadline | CharlotteObserver.com

Did y'allnote tha Belichick expects to get an ILB rush fromthe ILBs?

When Tedy went over the hill ,only AD has any ability to do that. That is a capability that neither Mayo nor Guyton seem to posses, either. The trouble with using AD for that is that he is BETTER as an OLB.:)
I think you're underselling what Guyton was able to do from ILB - in limited reps blitzing he had a FR and two QB pressures that chased the QB into another defender for a sack.

If i were BB, I'djump on that in a heartbeat!!!!
Read the whole thread. Talk about crazies!. Peppers is almost 30 years old.I think a player the other way or pick is in order. They are a QB from advancing in the playoffs. Where does this weak are crap come from on Cassel? Because he threw underneath as Moss was down the field taking two DBs with him? The kid has a cannon. Take what they give you kid. He still threw for 3,600 yards. It's how people defend you as to where your yards are. Yo are twenty years away and the receiver can make up some ground after the catch.
I was for the trade. Now listening to these guys there is more reasons not to do it with them.
They only way to get this done is the K.C. swap in an exchmage of picks plus their second, and send the #3 to Carolina. There are better fits elsewhere than directly with Carolina.
DW Toys

Lions #20 pick + a 3rd or whatever seems more enticing

Lions #20 pick + a 3rd or whatever seems more enticing

When you say it that way... we could do SO much more with that #20, imo. Draft a DE conversion guy and pay him WAY less to be a REAL Patriot.

This one is more complicated, it would seem, than first blush makes it out to be...

Last edited:
Two comments: first, Oakland signing Scrabble and Lechler makes it more likely to me that they will cut Michael Huff, who might be a good pickup at S.

Now that's a guy I'd like to see roaming the outfield.
Young, athletic, fast, and likes to hit. :rocker:

When you say it that way... we could do SO much more with that #20, imo. Draft a DE conversion guy and pay him WAY less to be a REAL Patriot.

This one is more complicated, it would seem, than first blush makes it out to be...

What do you mean "REAL Patriot"? Because Peppers is a FA he's not a "REAL Patriot"? A guy not drafted by BB? Like Vrabel, Dillon, Antowain Smith...hell, Rodney Harrison is the most REAL Patriot of them all (ok maybe Tedy and Willie Mac are right there)

Just because he is a FA doesn't mean he won't play hard for BB.

That's not an overnight transition, and it's just as "risky", if not more, than signing Peppers.

The thought of Peppers playing for the Pats is pretty sweet.

I always get excited to hear big name players rumored to be coming to the Pats.

While Delhomme has been serviceable for the Panthers, I think they now view him as a Jeff Garcia type quarterback. He will never have gaudy numbers, get some wins with a strong run game, but never be good enough to win a Super Bowl.

Without getting overly optimistic, I think that if we could somehow land Peppers and get him to sign a workable contract it would be a no-brainer. The Pats were reportedly very interested in converting Jared Allen to OLB if they could have figured out a way to get him. Peppers would be a similar kind of talent. Belichick is a master at figuring out how to use players to their strengths, and I have no doubt he would find ways to make Peppers productive even while he was learning the OLB position, and shield his weaknesses.

A front 7 of Seymour-Wilfork-Warren on DL and Peppers-Vrabel-Mayo-Thomas at LB, with Vrabel moving inside and Guyton substituting frequently as part of a core rotation, would be absolutely sick. It would also allow the Pats to go into the draft with only one major area of concern, DB, which they may even still be able to address to some extent in FA (Jabari Greer, Sean Jones, Michael Huff, resigning the two Sanders, etc.). That would give them a lot more room to maneuver in a very deep draft if a top RB, WR or OT fell to them.

2010 looks to be a very strong draft for defense, especially for 3-4 DE and LB options. Sergio Kindle, Ricky Sapp, Mark Herzlich, Brandon Spikes, Rolando McClain, Vince Oghobasse, Arthur Davis, Namdukong Suh, etc. It would be nice to be able to take advantage of this year's strong DB and OL classes without having to reload the front 7.

What strong DB class? Its well BELOW even average. OL is different, admittedly. There is not even a first round safety and people are hyping a big corner from Utah as a safety, when he doesn't seem to have the safety hitting ability,or disposition. Reminds meof a former Pats CB-Safety project, that BB shipped to NO,and failed ther too. In an ordinary year there would be several Jenkins-type CBs, this year but a single one.

What strong DB class? Its well BELOW even average. OL is different, admittedly. There is not even a first round safety and people are hyping a big corner from Utah as a safety, when he doesn't seem to have the safety hitting ability,or disposition. Reminds meof a former Pats CB-Safety project, that BB shipped to NO,and failed ther too. In an ordinary year there would be several Jenkins-type CBs, this year but a single one.

There was no "Jenkins-type" CBs last year. Jenkins, Vontae Davis, DJ Moore, Alphonso Smith and Sean Smith compare quite well with McKelvin, DRC, Mike Jenkins, Cason, and Aqib Talib last year, and much better than the 2005, 2006 and 2007 CB classes. The second tier of CBs this year is much stronger than the past several years - Butler, Macho Harris, Jarius Byrd, Mickens, etc. Coye Francies is rising quickly, and could even crack the 1st round. Last year there were only 2 legitimate safety prospects, Kenny Phillips and Tyrell Johnson; this year Patrick Chung, William Moore, Louis Delmas, Sean Smith and possibly Byrd and Rashad Johnson are all legitimate day 1 picks at safety. So yes, I think it's a fairly strong DB class, especially in terms of depth. It may lack top 10 talent, but there are a lot of good players out there.

There was no "Jenkins-type" CBs last year. Jenkins, Vontae Davis, DJ Moore, Alphonso Smith and Sean Smith compare quite well with McKelvin, DRC, Mike Jenkins, Cason, and Aqib Talib last year, and much better than the 2005, 2006 and 2007 CB classes. The second tier of CBs this year is much stronger than the past several years - Butler, Macho Harris, Jarius Byrd, Mickens, etc. Coye Francies is rising quickly, and could even crack the 1st round. Last year there were only 2 legitimate safety prospects, Kenny Phillips and Tyrell Johnson; this year Patrick Chung, William Moore, Louis Delmas, Sean Smith and possibly Byrd and Rashad Johnson are all legitimate day 1 picks at safety. So yes, I think it's a fairly strong DB class, especially in terms of depth. It may lack top 10 talent, but there are a lot of good players out there.

Dream on... Draftnik, Dream On... the only premium pick is Jenkins. Chung is an ordinary year would be a third rounder. Sean smith si a project ion ot Safety in the absence of anybody else.

Only Alphonso and Darius would be third rounders in a normal average year. The others can't run. Macho at 4.7 ? Yikes.

Dream on... Draftnik, Dream On... the only premium pick is Jenkins. Chung is an ordinary year would be a third rounder. Sean smith si a project ion ot Safety in the absence of anybody else.

Only Alphonso and Darius would be third rounders in a normal average year. The others can't run. Macho at 4.7 ? Yikes.

I don't know what kind of "normal average year" you're talking about.

Consider nfldraftcountdown's list of the top 10 CB's and S's in their predraft rankins for each of the past 5 years (not that I completely agree with their rankings, but they are on file and are one basis comparison):

2003 CB: Terence Newman, Marcus Trufant, Andre Woolfolk, Sammie Davis, Eugene Wilson, Dennis Weathersby, Rashean Mathis, Bryan Scott, Nnamdi Asomugha, Drayton Florence
2004 CB: DeAngelo Hall, Dunta Robinson, Chris Gamble, Derick Strait, Ahmad Carroll, Will Poole, Jeremy LeSueur, Ricardo Colclough, Shawntae Spencer, Joey Thomas
2005 CB: Antrel Rolle, Adam Jones, Carlos Rogers, Marlin Jackson, Fabian Washington, Justin Miller, Corey Webster, Eric Green, Bryant McFadden, Stanley Wilson
2006 CB: Antonio Cromartie, Jimmy Wiliams, Ty Hill, Jonathan Joseph, Richard Marshall, Ashton Youboty, Kelly Jennings, Cedric Griffin, Danieal Manning, David Pittman
2007 CB: Darrell Revis, Leon Hall, Aaron Ross, Chris Houston, Eric Wright, Marcus McCauley, Tanard Jackson, Deymeion Hughes, Josh Wilson, Fred Bennett
2008 CB: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Leodis McKelvin, Mike Jenkins, Antoine Cason, Aqib Talib, Patrick Lee, Justin King, Charles Godfrey, Tracy Porter, Brandon Flowers
2009 CB: Malcolm Jenkins, Vontae Davis, Alphonso Smith, DJ Moore, Coye Francies, Sean Smith, Darius Butler, Jarius Byrd, Victor Harris, Mike Mickens

2003 S: Troy Polamalu, Mike Doss, Ken Hamlin, Julian Battle, Antwoine Sanders, Terrance Holt, Terrance Kiel, Todd Johnson, Derek Pagel, Jerome Sapp
2004 S: Sean Taylor, Matt Ware, Sean Jones, Stewart Schweigert, Bob Sanders, Jason Shives, Rashad Washington, Will Allen, Madieu Williams, Brandon Everage
2005 S: Thomas Davis, Brodney Pool, Josh Bullocks, Oshiomogho Atogwe, Gerald Sensabaugh, Donte Nicholson, James Butler, Vincent Fuller, Sean Considine, Jerome Carter
2006 S: Michael Huff, Donte Whitner, Daniel Bullocks, Jason Allen, Darnell Bing, Ko Simpson, Roman Harper, Pat Watkins, Anthony Smith, Bernard Pollard
2007 S: Laron Landry, Michael Griffin, Brandon Meriweather, Reggie Nelson, Eric Weddle, Aaron Rouse, Sabby Piscatelli, John Wendling, Josh Gattis, Gerald Alexander
2008 S: Kenny Phillips, Tyrell Johnson, Reggie Smith, DaJuan Morgan, Josh Barrett, Thomas DeCoud, Tom Zbikowski, Quintin Demps, Craig Steltz, Jamar Adams
2009 S: William Moore, Rashad Johnson, Louis Delmas, Patrick Chung, Michael Hamlin, Chip Vaughn, David Bruton, Emanuel Cook, Courtney Greene. Doesn't include Sean Smith or Jarius Byrd who may well end up at safety.

I would argue that the 2009 CB class compares well with all 5 previous classes, as prospects. No one expected Scrabble to become all world, Antonio Cromartie was a big injury risk with only 1 good year behind him, Rodgers-Cromartie/McKelvin/Jenkins were all from smaller schools with lesser competition, etc.

I would argue that the 2009 S class compared comparably with the 5 previous classes, except for the 2007 class which was exceptional.

I don't know what kind of "normal average year" you're talking about.

Consider nfldraftcountdown's list of the top 10 CB's and S's in their predraft rankins for each of the past 5 years (not that I completely agree with their rankings, but they are on file and are one basis comparison):

2003 CB: Terence Newman, Marcus Trufant, Andre Woolfolk, Sammie Davis, Eugene Wilson, Dennis Weathersby, Rashean Mathis, Bryan Scott, Nnamdi Asomugha, Drayton Florence
2004 CB: DeAngelo Hall, Dunta Robinson, Chris Gamble, Derick Strait, Ahmad Carroll, Will Poole, Jeremy LeSueur, Ricardo Colclough, Shawntae Spencer, Joey Thomas
2005 CB: Antrel Rolle, Adam Jones, Carlos Rogers, Marlin Jackson, Fabian Washington, Justin Miller, Corey Webster, Eric Green, Bryant McFadden, Stanley Wilson
2006 CB: Antonio Cromartie, Jimmy Wiliams, Ty Hill, Jonathan Joseph, Richard Marshall, Ashton Youboty, Kelly Jennings, Cedric Griffin, Danieal Manning, David Pittman
2007 CB: Darrell Revis, Leon Hall, Aaron Ross, Chris Houston, Eric Wright, Marcus McCauley, Tanard Jackson, Deymeion Hughes, Josh Wilson, Fred Bennett
2008 CB: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Leodis McKelvin, Mike Jenkins, Antoine Cason, Aqib Talib, Patrick Lee, Justin King, Charles Godfrey, Tracy Porter, Brandon Flowers
2009 CB: Malcolm Jenkins, Vontae Davis, Alphonso Smith, DJ Moore, Coye Francies, Sean Smith, Darius Butler, Jarius Byrd, Victor Harris, Mike Mickens

2003 S: Troy Polamalu, Mike Doss, Ken Hamlin, Julian Battle, Antwoine Sanders, Terrance Holt, Terrance Kiel, Todd Johnson, Derek Pagel, Jerome Sapp
2004 S: Sean Taylor, Matt Ware, Sean Jones, Stewart Schweigert, Bob Sanders, Jason Shives, Rashad Washington, Will Allen, Madieu Williams, Brandon Everage
2005 S: Thomas Davis, Brodney Pool, Josh Bullocks, Oshiomogho Atogwe, Gerald Sensabaugh, Donte Nicholson, James Butler, Vincent Fuller, Sean Considine, Jerome Carter
2006 S: Michael Huff, Donte Whitner, Daniel Bullocks, Jason Allen, Darnell Bing, Ko Simpson, Roman Harper, Pat Watkins, Anthony Smith, Bernard Pollard
2007 S: Laron Landry, Michael Griffin, Brandon Meriweather, Reggie Nelson, Eric Weddle, Aaron Rouse, Sabby Piscatelli, John Wendling, Josh Gattis, Gerald Alexander
2008 S: Kenny Phillips, Tyrell Johnson, Reggie Smith, DaJuan Morgan, Josh Barrett, Thomas DeCoud, Tom Zbikowski, Quintin Demps, Craig Steltz, Jamar Adams
2009 S: William Moore, Rashad Johnson, Louis Delmas, Patrick Chung, Michael Hamlin, Chip Vaughn, David Bruton, Emanuel Cook, Courtney Greene. Doesn't include Sean Smith or Jarius Byrd who may well end up at safety.

I would argue that the 2009 CB class compares well with all 5 previous classes, as prospects. No one expected Scrabble to become all world, Antonio Cromartie was a big injury risk with only 1 good year behind him, Rodgers-Cromartie/McKelvin/Jenkins were all from smaller schools with lesser competition, etc.

I would argue that the 2009 S class compared comparably with the 5 previous classes, except for the 2007 class which was exceptional.

Seeing Bernard Pollard's name just made me cringe.

Is there actually room for an expensive 30 year old DE with a big ego? Can we please sign our Left Guard and Centers instead and hopefully trade Cassel (If the Bradester is 100%) to KC for a 1st and 3rd so we can draft Curry and a good run blocking TE and a good someone else with our 23rd pick.

Last edited:
Is there actually room for an expensive 30 year old DE with a big ego? Can we please sign our Left Guard and Centers instead and hopefully trade Cassel (If the Bradester is 100%) to KC for a 1st and 3rd so we can draft Curry and a good run blocking TE and a good someone else with our 23rd pick.

I am down with that plan too:D

Would after the Combine be the most likely time to make the trade? If it was going to happen that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST