PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Paul Perillo Made an Excellent Point on Mac vs. Zappe

Still don't buy it.

This isn't the Brissett game-plan against Houston they're giving Zappe. He's getting into/out of plays at the LOS, identifying free rushers, throwing the ball downfield (although he has yet to connect on a true deep shot). A pass of his against Detroit travelled 50 yards in the air before dropping (it fell incomplete, but it was a pretty deep pass).

Baltimore is used as the example of the offense's potential under Jones. In that game Jones threw eight passes of 20+ yards.
He went 22/32 (68.8%), 321 yards, 0 TD, 3 INT, 62.1 passer rating.

Zappe, against Cleveland, threw six passes of 20+ yards.
He went 24/34 (70.6%), 309 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 118.4 passer rating.

First of all, you don't do what Zappe did with a limited game-plan and training wheels on. Secondly, if Zappe (in his second career start, as a rookie) is producing on-par with the best of what we've seen from Jones, why should we believe Jones offers more upside/potential at this point? Maybe on paper, but Zappe is simply performing better right now, with less NFL experience to boot ... so does Zappe actually have less potential/upside than Jones? I'm not so sure.

And even putting aside what I think is a weak argument re: game-plan to explain Zappe's success, the fact of the matter is that his pocket presence, field vision, and poise cannot be game-planned or handheld.

It really boggles my mind to hear take-after-take-after-take undermining Zappe's performance to this point. It seems to me that a lot of people aren't able to pickup on the nuances of playing the QB position and identify the subtle (but critically important) traits that make for really good QBs. It's only 2-3 games, but Zappe has demonstrated some legitimately high quality QB play.
Zappe has the IT factor.

Make Mac earn his way onto the field. Make Zappe earn keeping his spot, too. Maybe one of them already has. We’re not going to know until after the fact. It’s a competitive advantage to make a team game plan for both players evenly.

Watching his college tape. Kid is money. He's a TD machine. Let Zappe cook.
College tape at the lesser levels is really misleading. Remember all the BYU QBs lighting it up in the Mountain West. They always had an insane # of TDs and yards. But always flopped in the NFL.

I actually feel the same way about some P5 leagues like the B12. I just don't trust WRs and QBs coming out of there. They don't go against good defenses.

The SEC is the real thing.

College tape at the lesser levels is really misleading. Remember all the BYU QBs lighting it up in the Mountain West. They always had an insane # of TDs and yards. But always flopped in the NFL.

I actually feel the same way about some P5 leagues like the B12. I just don't trust WRs and QBs coming out of there. They don't go against good defenses.

That's all we have. Watch him against Army & Michigan State.

That’s why the Pats take those guys in the 4th round and have them earn their way to playing time, as opposed to taking them #2 overall and handing them the job outright…..

Mac's not even the best Jones

I guess that's forgiveable. I really hated having a guy named Kenyatta and he wasn't even the good Kenyatta.
I still remember how happy I was when we I heard we were getting Reggie White.

Unfortunately, it was "the other" Reggie White.

The Bears defense is a bit better than what they've face the last two weeks but that should be offset by how terrible their offense is.

Yeah I do expect their defense to play tough for awhile; but after a turnover or two & some 3-and-outs by their offense, I also expect them to become demoralized and offer only token resistance during the 2nd half.

I still remember how happy I was when we I heard we were getting Reggie White.

Unfortunately, it was "the other" Reggie White.
We also had the Chris Canty who wasn't memorable. Now everybody is Jaylen or Jalen or J. Lenny or something. It's a copycat league.

IT factor? Like he's going to come in and configure some switches and firewalls? In that case he might be of use to Ian...
True, that's all outsourced these days...

We are the Silent Majority.

Jon Stewart What GIF

Zappe doesn’t have the pedigree of Mac, but he is showing he’s just as good of a QB. Maybe better.

This could get weird as a team offers two firsts for acquiring Mac.

The only question mark is BZ’s ability to throw the deep ball.
I only caught a couple practices at camp this year. But it struck me that Zappe had the best arm in camp. Particularly on the out routes. More zip than Mac or Hoyer.

Just based on this observation, I’m not so sure i buy into this narrative that Mac is the physically superior player…

I only caught a couple practices at camp this year. But it struck me that Zappe had the best arm in camp. Particularly on the out routes. More zip than Mac or Hoyer.

Just based on this observation, I’m not so sure i buy into this narrative that Mac is the physically superior player…
I saw something different.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back