PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PatsPicker - 2020 Roster Prediction Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zuma - your selection must be pretty close to what will be the final roster...imo

WR (6) J.Edelman, N.Harry, G.Olszewski, J.Thomas, D.Byrd, M.Slater (Not good but there's upside and I want to save the Sanu $$$)

DE (4) D.Wise, S.Calhoun, D.Rivers, R.Berry (Berry is a quirky pick but he's at a valuable position and has flashed for his little experience)

FS (3) J.Williams, D.McCourty, C.Davis (It was Davis vs. Bethel for me, would have liked to keep both)

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2019

This is what I would do not what I think will happen. I expect Hoyer, Sanu, Bethel to make it and unfortunate cuts will have to be made.
I agree that Sanu isn't very good & not worth his contract, and that throwing away a 2nd-rounder for him was a gross over-pay...but...we just don't have anybody else worthy of replacing him, and Cam needs weapons too.

Berry is a perfect PS candidate...raw but intriguing...and I would be Shocked if he is claimed by anyone during Cutdown Day.

Yeah I too would choose Davis over Bethel if it came down to that, mainly because of the possibility that Davis could still help on defense more than Bethel could...However, I would Absolutely, Positively keep Both of them over the less-than-useless pile of rancid garbage that is Terry Brooks.

Beginning of last real week of TC projection:

QB (2) C.Newton, B.Hoyer

RB (5) J.White, R.Burkhead, D.Harris, S.Michel, L.Miller

WR (6) J.Edelman, M.Sanu, N.Harry, G.Olszewski, D.Byrd, J.Meyers

TE (3) D.Asiasi, D.Keene, R.Izzo

C (2) D.Andrews, H.Froholdt
G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, B.Braden
T (4) I.Wynn, J.Eluemunor, K.Cunningham, Y.Cajuste

DE (4) D.Wise, S.Calhoun, J.Simon, C.Winovich
DT (4) L.Guy, A.Butler, B.Cowart, X.Williams

ILB (2) J.Bentley, B.Copeland
OLB (3) J.Uche, A.Jennings, D.Rivers

CB (6) S.Gilmore, J.McCourty, J.Jones, J.Jackson, M.Bryant, J.Bethel

SS (2) A.Phillips, K.Dugger
FS (3) D.McCourty, J.Williams, C.Davis

ST (4) Slater, J.Cardona, J.Bailey, N.Folk

- If there's a new taxi squad made available into which a player can be placed without being subjected to waivers, then either Stid or Hoyer could be placed on it to save a roster spot elsewhere;

With both Michel & Miller removed from the PUP, there's no chance that Leonard Fournette signs here;

Instead of keeping Jake Johnson, I'm keeping Izzo & a 9th OLman, and sending JJ to the PS;

Xavier Williams stays, Fat Thor goes (to the IR);

Our OLBs are raw, and our ILBs just plain Suck;

I'm keeping Myles Bryant for now because he's had a decent camp and he's the only natural Slot CB besides Jon Jones;

And Just Say NO to Terry Brooks.

Last edited:
Beginning of last real week of TC projection:

- If there's a new taxi squad made available into which a player can be placed without being subject to waivers, then either Stid or Hoyer could be placed on it to save a roster spot elsewhere;

To go from the 80 man training cap roster to the practice squad, a player subject to waivers must clear waivers first. Vested veterans with 4 or more years of service such as Brian Hoyer are NOT subject to waivers until after the trading deadline. So, Hoyer could be cut and signed to the PS without the risk of being claimed on waivers. Stidham would have to clear waivers first before being signed to the PS.

Once the season starts, two players from the PS can be promoted to the 48 player game roster each game. Each PS player can be promoted twice without having to be subjected to waivers to return to the PS.

What’s not clear, as I’ve seen no reporting in this area, is whether a vested vet not subject to waivers can be promoted more than twice before the deadline without waivers. Nick Folk is a vested vet. Theoretically, he could spent the first half of the season on the PS but be activated each week to the 48 player game roster and save a position on the 53 player roster for another player. It will be interesting to see if we see things like this happen.

I am amused that folks hope that Hoyer will be on the Practice Squad for $10K a week. It's not going to happen. If we cut him, he could more just waiting a playing for someone who needs a 2nd or 3rd string QB for their 53, after someone is injured or goes on Covid-IR.

Based on everything I've read throughout training camp:

QB (3) C.Newton, J.Stidham, B.Hoyer
RB (5) J.White, S.Michel, R.Burkhead, D.Harris, J.Johnson
WR (6) J.Edelman, M.Sanu, N.Harry, D.Byrd, G.Olszewski, M.Slater
C (1) D.Andrews
G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, H.Froholdt
T (5) I.Wynn, J.Eluemunor, Y.Cajuste, J.Herron, K.Cunningham
DE (3) D.Wise, S.Calhoun, D.Rivers
DT (4) L.Guy, A.Butler, B.Cowart, B.Allen
ILB(2) J.Bentley, C.Maluia
OLB(5) C.Winovich, J.Uche, J.Simon, B.Copeland, A.Jennings
CB (6) S.Gilmore, J.McCourty, J.Jones, J.Jackson, J.Williams, J.Bethel
SS (2) K.Dugger, T.Brooks
FS (2) D.McCourty, C.Davis
ST (3) N.Folk, J.Bailey, J.Cardona

Based on Belichick's comments, I think Rivers will survive another year.

To go from the 80 man training cap roster to the practice squad, a player subject to waivers must clear waivers first. Vested veterans with 4 or more years of service such as Brian Hoyer are NOT subject to waivers until after the trading deadline. So, Hoyer could be cut and signed to the PS without the risk of being claimed on waivers. Stidham would have to clear waivers first before being signed to the PS.

Once the season starts, two players from the PS can be promoted to the 48 player game roster each game. Each PS player can be promoted twice without having to be subjected to waivers to return to the PS.

What’s not clear, as I’ve seen no reporting in this area, is whether a vested vet not subject to waivers can be promoted more than twice before the deadline without waivers. Nick Folk is a vested vet. Theoretically, he could spent the first half of the season on the PS but be activated each week to the 48 player game roster and save a position on the 53 player roster for another player. It will be interesting to see if we see things like this happen.
I am amused that folks hope that Hoyer will be on the Practice Squad for $10K a week. It's not going to happen. If we cut him, he could more just waiting a playing for someone who needs a 2nd or 3rd string QB for their 53, after someone is injured or goes on Covid-IR.
So if I want to use a roster spot on somebody other than 3rd QB, I should cut Hoyer & keep Stidham...and then pay Hoyer as much as I am legally allowed to pay a member of the PS, which is certainly more than $10K...

C (1) D.Andrews

Yeah this is almost certainly how the 53 will look, though I would still like to find a way to keep Lamar Miller, Jakobi Meyers, Xavier Williams, Miles Bryant, Michael Jackson & especially Adrian Phillips ahead of Hoyer, Jake Johnson, Fat Thor, Straight Cassh Malulu, steroid cheat Jete Copeland,
and especially the execrable Terry Jete Brooks...

Last edited:
So if I want to use a roster spot on somebody other than 3rd QB, I should cut Hoyer & keep Stidham...and then pay Hoyer as much as I am legally allowed to pay a member of the PS, which is certainly more than $10K...

That’s right. Hoyer doesn’t have to clear waivers. Hoyer is scheduled to make $ 1 million from the Pats. There are reports he’s settled in the area with his family. Answering mgtech above, there are numerous ways the Pats could make Hoyer whole even though the maximum weekly salary on the PS is $10,500. To begin with, Hoyer would be guaranteed his $ 1 million by just being on the 53 for game one being a vested vet. You could then place him on the PS and be paid his full salary plus the $10,500 a week.

I wonder if the Patriot's roster has regressed to the point where they will
submit more waiver claims than other years?

I wonder if the Patriot's roster has regressed to the point where they will
submit more waiver claims than other years?
It has, and they should.

You are mistaken.

That’s right. Hoyer doesn’t have to clear waivers. Hoyer is scheduled to make $ 1 million from the Pats. There are reports he’s settled in the area with his family. Answering mgtech above, there are numerous ways the Pats could make Hoyer whole even though the maximum weekly salary on the PS is $10,500. To begin with, Hoyer would be guaranteed his $ 1 million by just being on the 53 for game one being a vested vet. You could then place him on the PS and be paid his full salary plus the $10,500 a week.

I'm sure Hoyer's family would be fine with receiver $1M, being cut, being on the PS, and then signing with someone else.

C (1) D.Andrews

I agree with almost everything, although I expect that both Maluia and Herron will be on the Practice squad to begin the season or by Game 2, when upgrades arrive. Copeland is or 2nd ILB, BTW. Maulia is a STer. I prefer Phillips as the 53rd player; he has more use. Phillips is our #3 or #4 safety.

EDIT
I just noticed. You only 4 inside OL's. We carry at least 5 (2 centers and 3 guards).

Last edited:

I'm sure Hoyer's family would be fine with receiver $1M, being cut, being on the PS, and then signing with someone else.

you have a hair across your butt on this. We’re just speculating on a possible option. Obviously, it would require an understanding between the team and Hoyer as to the plan.

Yes, you could still lose the player, but it’s not like you’d be losing Brady in his prime. And, not keeping Hoyer might allow the Pats to keep a player who could be useful for the long-term.

you have a hair across your butt on this. We’re just speculating on a possible option. Obviously, it would require an understanding between the team and Hoyer as to the plan.

Yes, you could still lose the player, but it’s not like you’d be losing Brady in his prime. And, not keeping Hoyer might allow the Pats to keep a player who could be useful for the long-term.

I apologize. I agree that folks like you should be allowed to believe that belichick and Kraft will violate the rules of the NFL, and that Hpyer would sign such an illegal agreement. And you are free to believe that when another team offers him a position when someone is injured, that Hoyer will choose not to sign such a contract.

I this is certainly possible if Belichick has a trade ready for another receiver.

How many players are we putting on injured reserve in order to get down to 53? My guess is four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down